Notices

Praying for those who disturb us.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Praying for those who disturb us.

My sponsor has really been hammering me about praying for people in my life who disturb me or give me a hard time.
My biggest issue is my boss. He just gets under my skin. When I first heard my sponsor say I needed to pray for that guy, I wanted to vomit.
I took my family to Mass this evening. I knelt there for 20 minutes before the church service began and prayed for my boss and everyone else I had any kind of disputes with over the last few months. I also prayed for folks who were "collateral damage" to my drinking. I asked for all of them to be given peace, happiness and comfort in Jesus. I also asked that they may find forgiveness for anything I have done to them.
So...When I got in the car to come home, I felt so relieved. It was a huge weight off of my chest.
I'm not real sure how that works...but it works.
Got to remember to do it tomorrow morning during my prayers & meditation.
I want to start my Monday off on the right foot.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Aw great post

I admit this bit made me lol:

Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
My biggest issue is my boss. He just gets under my skin. When I first heard my sponsor say I needed to pray for that guy, I wanted to vomit.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Hi man,
I get how you feel. Buddy in my network told me to call my ex by her name instead of other colorful names...loh Then I heard in a mtg to pray for folks I have resentments & I thot was gonna loose it. So I tried it & @ 1st felt insincere but the more I did it the more lite hearted I felt. If I don't forgive her, God won't forgive me either so regardless of what I asked Him, 'twas waste of time. I learned the best way to beat a resentment is to radically pray for that person eg Lord I pray for sonso that You bless their health, finances, relationships & whatever they lay their hand to do in Jesus name I pray Amen
Try that for few days & I guarantee you will see a change
Old 01-27-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

good on ya. i had this come up. serious resentment towards someone. talked to my sponsor:" this persons aint very nice and i don't even wanna pray for them. what do i do???"
"pray twice as hard and pray for them to get everything you want."
what an order!! but it worked, plus this:
This was our course: We realized that the people who wronged us were perhaps spiritually sick. Though we did not like their symptoms and the way these disturbed us, they, like ourselves, were sick too. We asked God to help us show them the same tolerance, pity, and patience that we would cheerfully grant a sick friend. When a person offended we said to ourselves, "This is a sick man. How can I be helpful to him? God save me from being angry. Thy will be done."

We avoid retaliation or argument. We wouldn't treat sick people that way. If we do, we destroy our chance of being helpful. We cannot be helpful to all people, but at least God will show us how to take a kindly and tolerant view of each and every one.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I even forgave someone who beat me to a pulp and almost killed me. It is liberating but my friends think I am insane xxx
Old 01-27-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The more I've prayed for my enemies the more I understand why Jesus commands us to.
It lifts a heavy burden of bitterness & anger & as the old saying goes "to forgive is to set a prisoner free, and discover that prisoner is you."
Old 01-27-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudging the Road

Praying for those that disturb me has proved to be very difficult, as a part of me wants to hold onto the resentments. But, realizing that resentments can be a killer, and forgiveness is a key to surviving, praying for "one's enemies" can be such a release. "Let go and let God."

Something I had to work at and slowly make progression in. And do again.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I really hated this one guy I was in a recovery house with. He was a real psycho. I prayed for him as my sponsor directed me to. I stayed sober and moved on in life and he went back to state prison