Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Happy, accepting, optimistic, and then...drunk. I don't understand...

Notices

Happy, accepting, optimistic, and then...drunk. I don't understand...

Old 01-26-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

.....from where I was sitting, drinking, and ruining everything

bumble,
do yourself a favour and don't go the "i've ruined EVERYTHING!!!" route. that way lies the throwing up of hands and the "oh well, i've screwed it up, so might as well keep going! and i'm sure ready to list all my lousy defects, except...ah, wth, let's have another drink or five first!"

you haven't ruined everything; you've ruined your chance at this being day seven.
okay. that's it.

from the way i'm reading your responses, you've gained some from the experience.

on your way!
Old 01-27-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks, Fini.

I am feeling rather despondent but am determined not to drink. If I'm going to be sad and lonely, I may as well be sad and lonely and sober.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

I found that when I start feeling "comfortable" is when I should start to get scared. My grandfather always says to me "Even the best swimmers drown" and this can relate to a lot of things. Even at 604 days sober, sometimes I still feel scared and still want to drink. Some days I don't think about it at all and other days I tell myself i'm not an alcoholic. Don't ever let your guard down too much, or at least be aware of when you start to feel TOO comfortable. It's a pretty good warning sign.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by bumble View Post
may as well be sad and lonely and sober.
Don't beat yourself up bumble, learn from this. Do whatever it takes to stay away from the possibility of being able to make the purchase.

In your quote all three of the things that you listed are choices. There has to be something (outside of alcohol) that you can do to alleviate being sad and lonely?