Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

How long did it take you too cut down from 40-50+ units

Notices

Old 01-25-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, i've been an on-off alcoholic for years but have always been able to ween myself down. I was back on and am currently about a week in trying to cut down from drinking around 50 units a day. I am under an alcohol clinic but its going to be at least 2 weeks before i get in there as they have to get funding. I can cope with shaking and tension etc the only thing that im concerned about is seeing things. Not necessarily hallucinations but for example if i shut my eyes im constantly seeing completely random things which i've never had before. I'm vomiting around 3 times a day and am struggling to bring my alcohol use down as my anxiety is rocketing, i've been in A&E twice this year so am ashamed but am wondering if i need to go back. My blood pressure is varying 160-100. I think i can cope as i am just as i don't get much worse.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Go to the ER , danger zone there .

Granny was 190-100 and they took her by ambulance .
Old 01-25-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It took me an ambulance ride and 10 days in the hospital to cut down from 50 units of alcohol a day.

Get help. Now. Nothing to fool around with.

And the "seeing things" with your eyes closed could very well be the beginning of DTs.

Please get help.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, the only thing is, last time i was hospitalized my bp was in the 200s and over 120 and i survived that fine so i dont want to waste nhs as i dont feel any worse than i havent felt in the past
Old 01-25-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

5o units a day is a lot to wean yourself off of. I would go to the hospital now to be on the safe side xxxxx
Old 01-25-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't worry about the NHS, you gotta look after YOU and be safe!!
Old 01-25-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

50 units is a fair amount bud. How long you been drinking that amount for? At my height I was on 37 units (a litre of vodka) a day, but couldn't keep it up for more than two weeks at which point I admitted myself to the ER and got medication. Weening yourself off that amount will take a few weeks at least to do safely and really isn't advisable. I say just bite the bullet and go to the ER. I know how humiliating it can feel, what with all the doctors and nurses knowing you're in there for being an alcoholic, but it definitely pays off once you break free from the cuffs of alcohol addiction. Keep us posted with how ya doing mate and don't hesitate to call for help if you feel a seizure coming on. You don't wanna delay getting sober though, I'm not sure how long a person can last drinking 50 units a day but I wouldn't imagine that long to be honest. Good luck!
Old 01-25-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with everyone else here Roderick - it's time for some professional medical help.

D
Old 01-25-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good luck Roderick and be safe. I hope you go to hospital. Please let us know how you are doing.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks all i'll fill you in. you all take care ok.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

you too - keep us informed

D
Old 01-27-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I didn't get admitted to hospital as they said my bp was only raised because of anxiety and alcohol, theyre probably right. I'm really trying to cut down but it seems the more you try the harder it is. My alcohol counselor said just 1 or 2 units a day but i just can't cope being like this mentally for any longer and my body obviously isn't coping. I've had around 20 units the last 12 hours, in around 2 hour periods so hopefully il bring it down a bit until rehab in what could be at least 2 weeks.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Maybe get to an AA meeting in the meanwhile??
Old 01-27-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had to go to the ER to get off alcohol when I was drinking probably near that much. Did you tell them you were seeing things? I don't know what to tell you other than I was drinking close to that at the end and I was really scared so I'm sorry you're gong through this.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Is there a way for you to get a second opinion? BP raised "just because" of alcohol is still nothing to play with. Also, with all the other symptoms you're having, it seems to me that the temptation to just keep drinking would be almost superhuman to resist to get some physical relief. I'm surprised they didn't give you a medical detox regimen, even if outpatient. I don't think you should have to suffer like this. Maybe go see your regular doctor, or if you don't have one - try another doctor, period...or another/different ER.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks all, again, i will be thanking all your posts when im feeling ok. Takes me half an hour just to type a sentence with my memory being so bad.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SillyString View Post
Is there a way for you to get a second opinion? BP raised "just because" of alcohol is still nothing to play with. Also, with all the other symptoms you're having, it seems to me that the temptation to just keep drinking would be almost superhuman to resist to get some physical relief. I'm surprised they didn't give you a medical detox regimen, even if outpatient. I don't think you should have to suffer like this. Maybe go see your regular doctor, or if you don't have one - try another doctor, period...or another/different ER.
Hi Sillystring, i did have a detox last december and last august but only librium and then when i got out my gp prescribed valium at small doses. I think its because they know i'm likely to relapse so they can't really do much. All my fault really and im trying not whine saying poor me. I'm booked in for rehab but it will be at least two weeks.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Please go and see your GP again - TODAY. You need some support while you're waiting for rehab.

There may be a medical detox your doctor can get you into. Many rehabs require a detox first, or a week of clean urine samples.