Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Do you remember how you got rid of the obsession to drink?

Notices

Do you remember how you got rid of the obsession to drink?

Old 01-25-2014, 11:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
I found that for me there was a big difference between "cravings" and "obsession". My cravings became less frequent after a few weeks and became infrequent after a few months. But the obsession never left me even after several years of not drinking. I ended up relapsing after 7 years and drank for another 8 years before getting sober again.

When I got sober again 9 months ago I got a sponsor who took me through the steps for the first time. The obsession to drink was removed somewhere between step 7 and 10. In the Big Book they speak of a spiritual experience or awakening and a complete psychic change. One of the definitions of psychic is "relating to the soul or mind". I believe this best explains what happened to me, as I had a (psychic) change of my soul or mind by working the 12 steps. For me it was a sudden change after completing Step 7 and has been a gradual and ongoing change since that time while doing my Step 9 amends and practicing Steps 10-12 on a daily basis.

Since you mentioned that you go to meetings I explained my experience in AA terms, but I think another way to explain this for people not using the 12 step approach would be to call it a shift or change in personality. I think that a fundamental change is needed in our thinking to get rid of the obsession for alcohol by whatever means work best for us. I believe the most important change is to learn how to get out of ourselves and focus on what we can do for our fellow man. I find it very difficult to obsess about other things (especially alcohol) when I am thinking about what I can do to help others instead of thinking about myself.
X2. The obsession was removed during step 9 at 9.45 in the evening, after 2-3 months in AA.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't so much get rid of it as grow past it I think?

Like Carl said - you build a new life and you learn to live without alcohol...in that process you can't help but change really...I kinda just.... left the obsession behind is the best way I can describe it.

D
Old 01-26-2014, 02:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think about the destructive effect it has on health. Its much worse than you think. Read the Excerpts from under the influence: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

I also watch other people who are drunk. That puts me off.

And of course remember alcohol related experiences that seriously affected my life in some way.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I don't have strong cravings anymore but I do have a desire to drink now and then. The longer it's been the more confidence I have that I can cope with wanting to drink. Once I remind myself I can cope, I forget about it.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
~sb

Mine left after I worked those 12 steps of AA
Old 01-27-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I do need to get into doing step work now. My worst time of day is from 1-4pm. I literally think about it all the time during those times. I am going to try and call someone from AA today during those times and start reading a new book. I am really dreading today to be honest. Mondays are horrible for me.