Notices

taste

Old 01-24-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

taste

On my non-binge days my drink of choice was usually a margarita. Actually on my binge days too, but usually only the first drink before switching to straight tequila w/ a chaser. I loved to make them from scratch. It was the ritual of it.
Last night after a super stressful day at work I went home and the urge was the strongest it’s been. I ended up doing my ritual but making a virgin margarita. I didn’t end up drinking, actual booze but I can’t help but worry that I just put a Band-Aid over a bullet hole. Should I have resisted the urge to do it at all? Does this sound like the type of behavior that will end up in a replapse?
Is there anyone else that had a drink that they really enjoyed the flavor of, but just couldn’t control consumption? I almost always started out with a drink I really enjoyed and then before I knew it I was just downing the most vile liquor available to get more drunk.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I have found, over time first by changing my diet, and then quitting drinking, that I'm happier if I don't try to make a mocked up version of an old thing, but just find something new that I like.

I always did orange juice and tequila...and now I really don't drink orange juice because my brain thinks how much better it would be with a shot in it. Same with a few other things.

So I found new foods and drinks that I enjoy on their own merit and don't make me wistful. I found that to be easier on myself, because I don't feel like I am cheating myself out with some lame substitute.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by bearsfan03 View Post
Does this sound like the type of behavior that will end up in a replapse?
Possibly.

Good that you were able to get through the urge. It's easy to make the connection between beating the craving and your ability to do so by drinking a mock margarita. But I think there is a risk drinking something that in all respects is your drink of choice. Additionally, you have a ritual attached to the drinking, the making it from scratch, that has a strong link to the life you are trying to change. So change completely. New rituals, new drinks.

Good luck.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think nutrition is understated for recovery and general health .

I make all kinds of drinks with whole fruits and nuts ,in my single serve blender
They are fun to make ,as you get to experiment with different flavors .

And are a way to get a good amount of nutrition in .
Old 01-24-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

I had a sponsor in AA who was adamant that this kind of think was bad. But then I also met someone who lead SMART Recovery meetings who said she liked to make non-alcoholic mojitos during the summer and that there was nothing wrong with it. Guess it depends who you ask and possibly, what program the person is in.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you need to be a little careful...when you're enacting the ritual, and doing everything you used to do except drinking alcohol, it can be like missing that final piece of the jigsaw and become frustrating instead of calming.

on a really stressful day or low moment you might be tempted to source out the missing ingredient.....I know I did.

D