Notices

26 days and feeling like sh#t

Old 01-23-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I went to the website and the PAWS post is still there, but I had to click on it from the menu.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

PAWS | Digital Dharma

D
Old 01-23-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
Keep going, seek support.

How long were you drinking.
that is the amount of time it will take you to start feeling abit better
Not sure where this information is from. If someone had told me that when I first quit, there's no way I could've stopped.

Unless you mean that if they drank for the last 8 hours it'll take 8 hours to feel better?
Old 01-24-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

what i meant was that if you were as screwed up as i was it will take just as long to try to sort out your life decisions as it does since you first picked up that drink to console you.
whether you knew you were doing that at all.

I was a daily drinker for about 5 years. No prize.

I did start to feel better at 2 or three months but then started to see that life was still life and that i had to learn how to deal with whatever got thrown my way.
I had to make new and better choices.

I wanted instant changes. I wanted the quick fix.
I apologize to any newcomer that I might have discouraged by saying what i did.
But I know know that it is a lifetime journey and I cant expect my life to turn around in three months if I drank alcoholically for 15 years,.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
what i meant was that if you were as screwed up as i was it will take just as long to try to sort out your life decisions as it does since you first picked up that drink to console you.
whether you knew you were doing that at all.

I was a daily drinker for about 5 years. No prize.

I did start to feel better at 2 or three months but then started to see that life was still life and that i had to learn how to deal with whatever got thrown my way.
I had to make new and better choices.

I wanted instant changes. I wanted the quick fix.
I apologize to any newcomer that I might have discouraged by saying what i did.
But I know know that it is a lifetime journey and I cant expect my life to turn around in three months if I drank alcoholically for 15 years,.
I appreciate the point you were trying to make, but I think we have a certain responsibility to not present opinions as fact. Especially when they might discourage someone who is at the base of the mountain staring up at what already seems unachievable. Similar to telling someone who's obese that it's going to take the same 20 years of hard work to undo the 20 years of damage they've done to their body.

To the original point, I was far from feeling even decent at 26 days. Be patient, in my experience it does get much better in what will soon feel like a reasonably short amount of time. At 90-days I feel like I'm hitting my stride with this new life. Don't get discouraged
Old 01-24-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Point taken. and thank you.

I am far from perfect but working on it
Old 01-24-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
Bluebird I am 26 days too. I feel lousy. I am sure it's just part of the healing process so I am going with it. I had yesterday and today off work and now I have a three day weekend in front of me. HOpefully i'll feel a bit better by then.

My plan is to stay hydrated, eat some healthy yet comforting food and rest on the sofa watching tv. I just came back from a short walk to the store and drs office and I feel a bit better for the activity.
Well done on the days and that's my weekend as well, relax and hydrate :-)
Old 01-24-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
It's an up and down thing. I had a great few days, but today (28) just sucked. My old bad attitude creeped back, and I found myself wanting to just quit my job and get drunk. Thank god I resisted that. Visiting SR helps me calm down and put things in perspective. I see it as two steps forward - one step back. I try not to let those steps back deter me from my resolve.
Thank you, my resolve is still there thankfully. :-)
Old 01-24-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

Not sure many of us would still be in recovery if that was true for everyone, whiskeyman?

I drank for about 20 years...started to feel better at 3 months, felt normal at 6 months, and felt like a new man at 12 months....

Bluebird - I'm not a Dr, but google PAWs and see if it rings any bells:

D
Thanks Dee, PAWS assignment will begin this weekend.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoJimmy View Post

I appreciate the point you were trying to make, but I think we have a certain responsibility to not present opinions as fact. Especially when they might discourage someone who is at the base of the mountain staring up at what already seems unachievable. Similar to telling someone who's obese that it's going to take the same 20 years of hard work to undo the 20 years of damage they've done to their body.

To the original point, I was far from feeling even decent at 26 days. Be patient, in my experience it does get much better in what will soon feel like a reasonably short amount of time. At 90-days I feel like I'm hitting my stride with this new life. Don't get discouraged
Thanks and I agree about putting people of
Old 01-24-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

But I could have put someone on day one off too thinking they had twenty five more days to still feel bad. I'm feeling much better today anyway and thanks everyone for your comments. Whiskyman, no harm done mate.

Have a good weekend everyone
Old 01-24-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

this thread is very helpful...I'm closing in on three weeks now and generally feel crappy and its good to know I'm not alone...im just thankful work hasn't been too hectic and I don't have too many other responsibilities so I can just crash at home since i don't have any energy/interest in doing much of anything
Old 01-24-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwightwin View Post
this thread is very helpful...I'm closing in on three weeks now and generally feel crappy and its good to know I'm not alone...im just thankful work hasn't been too hectic and I don't have too many other responsibilities so I can just crash at home since i don't have any energy/interest in doing much of anything
Good luck with it mate
Old 01-24-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

i remember being on the reoccurring day three, over and over, wondering if I would ever get to day 30. It seemed like a lifetime.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alwaysdrinkin View Post
Same here bluebird, I'm on day 24, sleeping a lot and waking up groggy, foggy headed, low energy etc, its good to know it's normal to feel like this at this stage.

I was a social drinker (heavily at the weekends only), it only took 2 weeks sober to feel great.

Heavy everyday drinker for the past few years, quit for 6 weeks last year but still didn't feel good, felt rubbish.

Continued everyday drinking until new years eve, now 24 days sober, I know its going to longer than 6 weeks to feel good, probably take around 3 months, I know now the longer you have drunk the longer it takes to recover, but I am looking forward to feeling like I did back in 2012, just need to keep going, keep strong buddy.
Thanks mate, same to you. It's definitely worth it
Old 01-26-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi. I recall years ago old timers in AA say " How long did you drink? It'll take that long to get out of the woods." Well I didn't like that as most of us THINK we are OK after a month or so. After a period of not drinking I realized that not drinking and being recovered is measured by the long time it takes to repair the damaged alcoholic thinking processes we put ourselves into. For instance, for a long time I've heard that therapists say our emotional development is stunted from when we first start drinking and continues till we stop drinking.

BE WELL