Notices

Good Alcoholic Characters. TV/Movie

Old 01-21-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good Alcoholic Characters. TV/Movie

Hi

So, I have been watching Eastenders (UK TV) recently, and one of the characters, Jake, is a recovering alcoholic.

His character at first, seemed fairly easy to portray, and done well; alcoholic, with relationship problems, meets a younger girl in AA, and starts a relationship with her, cheating on his wife.

So far, so good.

Well, the last week or so, this relationship has been found out by his wife and he has gone into an excellently observed defensive meltdown, which makes me think the character is not only an alcoholic, but also a sociopath (a dangerous combination, which is all too common, I feel). The latest episode saw him returning to alcohol, and trying to cry his way out of the situation that he himself was mainly responsible for creating, then switching to offensive with nothing inbetween when that approach didn't work.

A lot of people give Eastenders a hard time, but this particular story arc is excellent, and very well observed by the writers, and also the actor.

So, are there any other character either in TV or Movies which portray this problem we all share, with a realistic and decent performance?

I am not looking for characters which are the 'token drunk' used for comedy effect, but real, geniune and complex portrayals of alcoholism and what it can do to all those involved.

Suggest away!
Old 01-21-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

All the characters in 'The Sun Also Rises"
Old 01-22-2014, 12:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The Lost Weekend is a 1945 American drama film directed by Billy Wilder and starring Ray Milland and Jane Wyman. The film was based on Charles R. Jackson's 1944 novel of the same title about an alcoholic writer. The film was nominated for seven Academy Awards and won four: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, and Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay).

In 2011, The Lost Weekend was added to the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress.

I loved this film. Worth a watch
Old 01-22-2014, 01:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by TDInstall View Post
Hi

So, I have been watching Eastenders (UK TV) recently, and one of the characters, Jake, is a recovering alcoholic.

His character at first, seemed fairly easy to portray, and done well; alcoholic, with relationship problems, meets a younger girl in AA, and starts a relationship with her, cheating on his wife.

So far, so good.

Well, the last week or so, this relationship has been found out by his wife and he has gone into an excellently observed defensive meltdown, which makes me think the character is not only an alcoholic, but also a sociopath (a dangerous combination, which is all too common, I feel). The latest episode saw him returning to alcohol, and trying to cry his way out of the situation that he himself was mainly responsible for creating, then switching to offensive with nothing inbetween when that approach didn't work.

A lot of people give Eastenders a hard time, but this particular story arc is excellent, and very well observed by the writers, and also the actor.

So, are there any other character either in TV or Movies which portray this problem we all share, with a realistic and decent performance?

I am not looking for characters which are the 'token drunk' used for comedy effect, but real, geniune and complex portrayals of alcoholism and what it can do to all those involved.

Suggest away!
I also thought that Phil Mitchell as a drunk was portrayed very well by Steve McFadden. I have, however, seen soaps where the script writers forget and the alcoholic goes back to social drinking, like Carla in Corrie, and Miss Diane in Croosroads. If you are old enough to rmember that x edit : And Janine. She has liver failure at one point, but a few years later just sippped on wine as though nothing had ever happened. That is a bit irresponsible of the writers, or if they are new writers, they should check on the back story. Oh and Sue Ellen was excellent x
Old 01-22-2014, 01:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When a Man Loves a Woman with Meg Ryan is a pretty accurate portrayal. Starts out fun. Has children then is hiding vodka bottles....I won't spoil it but you prob know the ending. Great movie.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
When a Man Loves a Woman with Meg Ryan is a pretty accurate portrayal. Starts out fun. Has children then is hiding vodka bottles....I won't spoil it but you prob know the ending. Great movie.
Yes. I saw that. I didn't like it at the time because it was a mirror of myself. Great film x
Old 01-22-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MB8

Denzel Washington in flight. Does a phenomenal portrayal of a drunk. And I love in the end how, although he is in prison, he says he's never felt more free in his life. Free of the constant obsession with the bottle. Man I can relate to that feeling. Freedom from that is second only to the freedom provided us by our outstanding servicemen. MB8
Old 01-22-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This isn't a role in a particular film, but sort of a "lifetime alcoholic portrayal". . .

You know how Dean Martin always acted drunk on stage, in interviews, and had alcohol use in many of his movies (check out the "Matt Helm' films)?
He would even fake slur his words singing Christmas songs and the like. The total package.

Turns out is was all a persona--he wasn't drinking and he didn't have an alcohol problem.
People just liked the "lovable drunk" act and thought it was funny so he kept it up.
I wonder how much harm such Hollywood stereotypes have done--depicting something so deadly as harmless or funny.
You were either acceptable or in the gutter. I've noticed lots of folks who join this list feel that even today.
"My husband is a 'functional' alcoholic since he keeps his job and isn't sleeping under a bridge. . . "

Bing Crosby, on the other hand, acted sober and goody goody in many of his films / life but was a drunken tyrant to his family.
Do you (if you are old enough and from the US) remember the orange juice ads with his family?
All pastoral and happy. . . I bet old Bingy was actually drinking a screwdriver

Ah, the irony. . .
Old 01-22-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nick Nolte's character in Warrior. He's a recovered alcoholic trying to make amends with his two estranged sons. They want nothing to do with him as a result of the damage he inflicted on the family as a drunk. Although this was a thread throughout the movie, it's not the main plot...but woven in. If you like MMA and cage fighting it's a great flick.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"Days of Wine & Roses". I love the score by Henry Mancini. This movie came out when I was a child, always have loved old movies because I grew up with them. What stands out to me is when the couple make love sober for the first time. My hubby & I were drunks together for about 2 decades. So....I can relate! Bobbi
Old 01-22-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh, we're both in Recovery now.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Leo McGarry, The West Wing.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I haven't seen many tv shows tackle the depiction of an alcoholic, but Ben Sanderson from the movie Leaving Las Vegas is always a memorable one.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's an Aussie movie but I watched it the other night - The Mango Tree (1977) - has an active, then reformed, drinker character.

D
Old 01-23-2014, 12:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Days of Wine and Roses is a very good film, recommended viewing and very sad. The Lost Weekend is crazy and almost too realistic. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is just like..... wow you wonder how much Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton drank during that whole film. The amount would have killed any normal person. There are two Susan Hayward films where she is an alcoholic. Smash-Up: The Story of a Woman(1947) & I'll Cry Tomorrow(1955) where she portrays real life alcoholic actress/singer Lillian Roth. John Barrymore ironically plays a character who is an alcoholic actor in Dinner At Eight(1933). In a Star is Born both the (1937) and (1954) version, there are promising actors who turn into alcoholics and become depressed. In television, there is an actress you may have heard of named Nancy McKeon(of Facts of Life fame) who portrayed an Alcoholic on a cop series in the early 2000s called The Division(Lifetime Channel). One can argue Don Draper from Mad Men is an alcoholic right? i haven't seen every episode from that series so I don't know if his character ever admits to it or not.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
Leo McGarry, The West Wing.
I was going to say this. he did a great job explaining his alcohol addiction in this clip.
The West Wing Season 1 Episode 13 (Leo explains drug & alcohol addiction) - YouTube
Old 01-23-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Another one for Denzel Washington's character in 'Flight'
Watched it last night. Awesome acting and an awesome movie. He also played an alcoholic very well in 'Man on Fire'
Old 01-23-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Homer Simpson and Barney from the Simpsons.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

An independant New Zealand based film called "Once were warriors"...Jake da Muss is a violent drunk who destroys his family...you cant unsee this film, about as hard hitting as anything
Old 01-24-2014, 12:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
An independant New Zealand based film called "Once were warriors"...Jake da Muss is a violent drunk who destroys his family...you cant unsee this film, about as hard hitting as anything
Great choice! I haven't seen that film in years and I'm so glad you reminded me about it again! Yes very hard to watch but such a great film!