Notices

two weeks today and how I'm feeling

Old 01-21-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

two weeks today and how I'm feeling

little bit of background...been drinking heavily for about seven years pretty much every day, almost always alone at home. It's really ramped up in the last two years at least for me...1/3rd or half a 750 ml bottle per night of whisky. Although I feel good about my progress thus far, I overall feel detached from everything and everyone. it's strange, on the one hand I feel sad and lonely (I live alone) but at the same time I don't feel like being with anyone or doing anything (obviously the fatigue is a factor). I fee like a zombie just "existing" without any real joy in anything and it's like my personality has just been erased. ..wondering if this is similar to anyone else's experience and how long it took to feel normal and regain their "joie de vivre"
Old 01-21-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey dwightwin, yeah alcohol can be progressive, start off with a beer a night and it can quickly progress to a bottle of whisky a night!! . . . but you've made a great decision in trying to catch things early.

The thing is alcohol in many ways defined the lifestyles we led, the places we went to, the people we spent time with, the activities we were involved in, take all that away and we almost have a "lost" feeling that we're not to sure what to do with.

However given time (I'm at a few months now and things are looking a bit more positive) and the rebuilding of our lifestyles away from our norm of facilitating alcohol we'll eventually get that "je ne sais quoi" back into our life!!
Old 01-21-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My first few long periods where I finally really realized this was all a really big deal, I felt a lot of distrust for most of the people around me. Like how could you be friends with me and watch me just do this to myself? I did not want to have to actually address the issue with anyone, either. I closed in around myself. It got better but it was a protective feeling for me.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi dwightwin, congratulations on 2weeks sober.

I call it a metamorphosis that I'm going through, it takes time and as purpleknight said , alcohol defined our lifestyles.

It gets better, keep with it, visit SR, post, read, I've gleaned a lot from SR. I'm sure it will be a great help, go with the flow
Old 01-21-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Give yourself at least 7 months...

Keep healing!
Old 01-21-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I felt similar , never went anywhere . I can attribute it to the depression related to excessive drinking .

At one point , I thought I'd never feel good again .

My problem was the drinking , it can change your entire personality .

I think it kills your energy, forcing your body to process that much poison .

The depression , hangovers and low energy are bad
Old 01-21-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Two weeks is very early in sobriety. Give yourself more sober time to "even out". Be good to yourself and be patient.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you all, your words are very helpful...karate: I've also dealt with ongoing depression (as I'm sure many of us have) so that's very likely contributing as well
Old 01-21-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on the sober time!

I live alone also and got sober living by myself - sometimes it feels like a blessing, other times a curse. It can be done though! Don't pressure yourself too much right now. You're not "missing out" on anything, you're getting well so you can enjoy bigger things in the future. So far so good eh? Keep things simple, it will be okay. Nice job so far and congrats again on these couple of weeks.