Notices

Thoughts on energy drinks

Old 01-20-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thoughts on energy drinks

Hey everyone, my name is Brian and I am an alcoholic. I've been thinking about something lately and wanted to get some thoughts from some people here. Sober and while drinking I have been known as I think alot of people have to drink energy drinks. Rockstar, Amp, Monster, Red Bull etc.Do I drink them obsessively? I would say no. However, I have found myself I don't know if I would say "romanticizing" them, but looking forward to them. Considering them a special "treat" in some cases. The other night I was speaking to the mother of a heroin addict as I drank one. She acted a little alarmed by it, suggesting I could be trading one addiction for another and this could lead to speed or meth or something like that. I blew her off at the time as a concerned unaddicted parent of an addict. One of those who wants to learn their child's world to help if you know what I mean. But, then I started thinking about it, and do you think that is actually possible? I could be trading in my alcohol addiction for an addiction to high octane energy beverages? Tonight at a meeting a guy was sharing how when he wasn't feeling right, he slammed a couple Rockstars and in his mind he was starting to see them as Bud Lights. He then got hyped up and became angry at his kids. It's concerned me enough that I think I will leave them alone for a while. I know there are people here who have quit caffeine all together. What are your thoughts?
Old 01-20-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I do drink rock star sugar free on an occasion. I like the taste of them. The price is rather high for most of them. Once in a while I'll get the powder and make my own energy drink with water. I do try an drink these in moderation though.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I tried one once and only could manage to get about a third of it down. It tasted NASTY! I poured it out and haven't bought another one since.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think there's a connection for drinking SOMETHING in replace of alcohol. The familiar hand to mouth motions. I tend to replace things for alcohol, too. Kava was and is great for my anxiety but I abused it to the point where I felt like I was with drawling from it so that's probably out for using again. And coffee, I've found myself replacing booze with coffee a few times.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

On Tuesdays I start my day at 4 am and do not stop until 10 at night so I will drink a big red bull around 2/3 pm as a pick me up. Otherwise I avoid them, I heard they were not very good for the stomach.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, my sponsor would probably remind me that no one has ever gone to jail from drinking too many energy drinks. Non-alcoholic ones anyway. And yeah some recovering alcoholics (myself included) guzzle coffee like water. But caffeine is still a drug and can contribute to health problems. Maybe I am overthinking this?
Old 01-20-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When we went to Vegas on vacation this August I would order Red Bull while playing Roulette. I also had a Krispy Kreme donut every morning for breakfast! We were there 2 weeks. I got home that first week and had a huge "AhHa" with myself. Drank up my Cranberry Red Bull and went back to my plain Arrowhead Sparkling water. Donuts?? Still eating sweets at night for dessert. Which I never used to do...Cabernet and donuts/cupcakes or ice cream...yuk! Bobbi
Old 01-20-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno...it's probably better to overthink than underthink in some cases, like what we're putting into our bodies.

I have to admit I gave them up for a few years after I got sober because I felt I might be replacing alcohol with other stimulants but they've drifted in again over the last 12 months or so....I'm not feeling worried about it, but it's probably something I should put on my to do list

D
Old 01-20-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I only drink them when I pull overtime and include a gym work out in my day. They make me act speedy, so I only drink them if Im falling asleep at my desk. Lately, I've been on this Kombucha kick. I find that I am craving them and spending a lot of money on them. But, energy drinks, coffee, and my beloved kombuchas are really benign in comparison to alcohol. And I think we know when we have a problem.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ok. So I think like anything else, maybe, moderation is key? Including a workout and only drinking them when extremely tired is a good idea. I understand I think what Barbie was saying too. They can be a treat, shouldn't become a habit? I have addictive thinking patterns I think many of us do. And I do observe their use among others in recovery also. Like Dee said maybe trading alcohol for stimulants?
Old 01-20-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

the problem isn't the addictive behavior, per se, but the negative consequences that result from the addictive behavior. we didn't stop drinking because we were addicted to it but because of the negative consequences that resulted from the addiction to alcohol. so if you are addicted to energy drinks, but can find no palpable negative consequences, forge on, if you so desire.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

They are pretty reminiscent of vodka and red bull for me. I'll have 2 or 3 if I go out to a club while not drinking so I'm definitely with you on your thinking. For me at least it nearly mirrors my drinking behavior. Tough call. For me it's virtually impossible for my addictive nature not cross over into virtually everything I do. It all seems to go back to "it's only a problem if it's in excess" sort of thing. God I loathe this disease. It never turns off huh?
Old 01-21-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How many energy drinks or how much caffeine a day do you drink? I'm the same way, though. I always look forward to my daily can of Monster Rehab or sugar free(I think) NOS. I limit myself to one energy drink a day(usually in the morning) and may have a cup of tea these days at night or some diet Pepsi or try to stick to non-caffeinated ones like Diet A&W.

I was a LOT more hardcore with caffeine in the past. I ended up finding out the hard way of what caffeine withdrawal does to you. Worst....headache....ever. Also got palpitations(heart flutters) which caffeine was blamed for so I try to limit...food seems to be an entirely different issue, though. But I can see you're thinking on this
Old 01-21-2014, 01:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

SUggesting energy drinks will lead to meth use seems a little alarmist to me.

I think it's probably a good idea to be mindful of stimulants like caffeine and the other ingredients in energy drinks. I would want to know just how much caffeine etc I'm ingesting and what it's doing to me and make an informed decision.

I reduced my intake of coffee from approx 6 espressos a day to 2 cups of filtered coffee. I feel better for it and plan to eventually phase out caffeine altogether as I think anything that amps up my nervous system is not good for me personally.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My take on energy drinks is if you want to blow your heart out in a timely manor, have at it. Guarana, taurine are not regulated by the FDA. I would assume small doses may be ok but to drink in access would not be beneficial to your health.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Some of my co workers drink then daily ,They say you build up a tolerance and they don't work .

I agree no one ever went to jail for drinking a monster and driving .

I have tried a little bit of them ,Green Monster is good ,and works very well .

But drink it daily and it is ineffective .

N-o Explode ,At Gnc is said to be strong as well .