Notices

Day 1. I don't know if I can do this.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1. I don't know if I can do this.

I got drunk last night. I feel terrible today - physically and emotionally. I have wanted to stop drinking for years. In the last couple of years I have had sober stretches, usually 2-3 weeks at a time. I did make it for 53 days that ended right after Christmas. I cannot seem to do more then string a few sober days together now. My husband is usually my drinking buddy, but recently has decided to quit drinking. He made it the 53 days with me then we fell off the wagon together. Last night he told me he wasn't going to drink (and he didn't) but that he didn't care if I drank, so I did. I NEVER saw this coming. I never thought he would quit and I wouldn't. I want to quit. I need to quit. I don't know if I can quit. I feel so good when I don't drink. I love waking up without a hangover. I work out 6 days a week and that is so much easier sober. I want to be a better person. I want to focus on my art. I want to feel whole. I hate myself right now. I am here - I need support and encouragement.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago. My husband and I had an awful 8 year drinking binge before I stopped the cycle. It wasn't easy and it takes lots of determination and courage but it can be done! Your art and exercise can be great catalysts for change. It's been a few years since I quit drinking and everything is so much better. He still drinks occasionally (he was a binge drinker, not a true alcoholic like me) but it's all good. I'm pulling for you! SR is a huge comfort and you'll find a ton of support here. I believe in you!! Wishing you so much love on your journey!! xoxoxo
Old 01-19-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck. Lots of great advice in these forums. Stick around.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

you were able to not drink for 53 days... Just start again..... You can do it--you have already proven that you can.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back SE

I didn;t know if I could do it either...but I stayed sober one day...then the next - I found support, I made changes in my life to reinforce my commitment to staying sober...

and the weeks months and years stacked up

I'm sure you can do it too - make a plan and go from there

D
Old 01-19-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Somebodyelse - you are not alone in your struggle - Glad you are here
Old 01-19-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

At least you have a spouse to give you support and help you set goals. A lot easier then trying to quit all alone. Regardless you are not alone here at SR.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You CAN do this!! we all had to start with a Day 1 and work from there, with the right support and advice you can too!!
Old 01-20-2014, 02:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Remember what your feeling right this minute. Sometimes I think we crave drinking just because we tell ourselfs we can't. Makes it seem more appealing in a way. The fact is YOU AREN'T ENJOYING IT. Remind yourself that next time the though pops back in. Drinking, when you think about it, really sucks!

Go get some new art supplies and throw yourself into your art! Maybe this feeling right now would be a great inspiration for a piece.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you can do 53 , one more day is in your range .

Good luck
Old 01-20-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you. This is what I need to hear. Day 2 here I come...!
Old 01-20-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Everybody starts at day1- some of us have a lot of day 1's Just stick with it- if you work out- as I do- I run- it helps me to think of it as I would a physical goal- training for an event, etc. Every day mark it off on your calendar- set a goal date and do something fun that you enjoy! It helps to have something to look forward to! AA and a sponsor is the way to go- it will keep you sober Good luck and we're hear- keep checking in- I'm checking in here daily and it's helping a lot too!
Old 01-20-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good for you for achieving 53 days! I wish I could do that. I'm working on it but just like you, I have a problem with wanting to drink every few days. I can go 3,4,5 days but then at 4 or 5 I fail. My husband is also my drinking buddy. The only difference is I am the one who does want to quit, he on the other hand seems to think we can control this and thinks it is crazy to stop altogether. All I can say is get back on the wagon and try again. At least your hubby has already stopped drinking. That should help.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Needtosttopthis-- when I first joined here my husband felt the same way, that our drinking just needed to be controlled and that neither of us had a problem. Only very recently has he recognized that we both have drinking problems. He just decided to stop,. Maybe your husband will come around too. Like I said earlier, I have wanted to stop drinking for years! I always wanted him to stop with me. He seems to be having an easier time stopping than me but if I can just stick with it, it will be so much easier to stop drinking if we are both fighting the same fight. Maybe you can inspire your husband to quit when he sees how good you feel when not drinking.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know for my us, I had to quit drinking first. My husband wanted a different life and followed once I established the path, but I had to initiate it. It took me a long time to figure that out, which only prolonged the agony. I was waiting for him to take the lead and he just never did. I'm not really even sure why this was the case, but it was. It took him a few weeks to get it together after I quit (which was annoying and stressful), but we synced up after that. I think it was awkward and strange for him to drink without me, so it made it easier for him to quit.

He still has a beer or two for special occasions, and of course I never drink anymore. But it's totally possible to go from drinking buddies to best friends and loves who lead healthy, happy lives without the burden of addiction. xoxo
Old 01-20-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi sweety I was sober two years then relapsed and have struggled the last year to get any longer than a few months sober I usually crack at the 3 month mark get smashed one night then pledge to be sober again, I think the one thing that helps to stay sober is wanting sobriety more than alcohol and also to not believe it's ok to drink , us alcoholics have lost our right to drink safely and is poison to us ! It's hard work I workout and do fitness competitions so I only can drink very occasionally as my fat levels need to be low hence if I didn't have this in my life I'd defiantly drink more often so keep the workouts going it will be doing good for your health ,,,, hang in there sweet we are all in this together and remember don't be to hard on yourself for relapsing just get up and try and try again