Notices

How do you feel being around alcohol?

Old 01-18-2014, 09:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you feel being around alcohol?

I've been sober for almost 9 months yet I still feel somewhat uncomfortable being around people drinking.

I don't leave the room or feel really nervous or anything it's just not an ideal situation. I also don't have cravings, it's just a thought of 'i'd rather not be around something that has the potential to ruin my life.'

Hoping with some more sober time it might become something that I don't even think about. Anyone else feel the same way?
Old 01-18-2014, 10:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I still don't like being in pubs or clubs and parties generally bore me once the drunken behaviour comes out.

I don't really notice people drinking tho, just the 'in your face' drunks.

D
Old 01-18-2014, 10:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

I recall feeling like you in my early sobriety. I sometimes have to remind myself it's not about me any more... I'm mostly unaffected by those around me who drink, and I am not secretive about the fact that I don't drink. It's fine for others just not for me any more. I found that the less time I spent feeling ashamed and wondering what others thought of me, the less of an issue it became at all. On the occasional here and there where I find myself feeling edgy being around it I make sure I leave the situation for at least a few minutes: a walk around the block, heading out to get some fresh air... these things always help set my head back straight and serene.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I took me a year or two. xxxx
Old 01-19-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Drunk people behaving badly are the worst. I hate having to tell people to knock it off. I want to be the cool guy. I don't want to count someone else's drinks. The more sobriety I have the easier it is to avoid those situations but they still come up sometimes. The funny thing about it, now that I'm thinking, is that I sometimes had the same problems with other drinkers when I was a drunk!
Old 01-19-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can go to a big gathering where drinking is involved as long as I have other non drinkers with me. I can't however be the only sober person somewhere everyone else is drinking, that is too much pressure and I will just avoid that situation. Or going to the bar and just having soda or coffee while your friend drinks, this I can't do yet and maybe never will.

You know what though, I consider it a good problem because I never really liked the bar atmosphere anyway and now I have an excuse.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhaseTwo View Post

I don't leave the room or feel really nervous or anything it's just not an ideal situation.
seeing others drink does not bother me at all
but
I prefer today not to hang out with drinking drunks

Mountainman
Old 01-19-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am 5 months and I try not to put myself in positions to be around it. When I am I don't have cravings but its on my mind more often. I think it's normal. Knowing what is going on is helpful.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I quit while my husband drinks every night. I am around it all the time, a little over six months in, I can say it does not bother me. I don't drink, no matter what anyone else wants to do. The first time we went out with friends I felt a little funny when I was the only one not ordering drinks, but it was okay. I rarely think about drinking anymore except
when I come here, and then it is good to remember. I never want to go back
/
Old 01-19-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by huntingtontx View Post
I quit while my husband drinks every night. I am around it all the time, a little over six months in, I can say it does not bother me. I don't drink, no matter what anyone else wants to do. The first time we went out with friends I felt a little funny when I was the only one not ordering drinks, but it was okay. I rarely think about drinking anymore except
/
Congratulations on your 6 months. It mystifies me how people stay sober with it in the house. I can't be around it. The alcohol or the excessive drinking. It doesn't bother me when people without a problem have one or two glasses of wine with dinner but if someone is getting drunk it kind of triggers me. I have been lucky. My husband doesn't drink and the only place to buy liquor is in a special store with special hours. I drank alone so I didn't have to give up anything social. It's been out of sight out of mind. Not really at all out of mind but not close enough to whisper me back in.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by huntingtontx View Post

I rarely think about drinking anymore except
/
I approve of that message
the thought of taking a drink is far from my mind
and has been for many years now (thank God)
but
I wish to never forget being in the pit of hell while here on earth
saved from that and never wishing to return

the wife takes a little drink from time to time
does not bother me in the least
the only one that I need to keep an eye on is me
I'm the one who can not drink like a gentleman

MountainmanBob