Notices

God help me

Old 01-18-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good responses, I've been doing a lot of pacing today, its less painful then sitting still. Anyone relate?
Old 01-18-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
Good responses, I've been doing a lot of pacing today, its less painful then sitting still. Anyone relate?
Yep. 100%. When I first stopped this time, sitting still made me feel like I was going to pass out. I don't know why, but pacing around my office kept my mind off those black clouds swirling in my head.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sanantoniosober View Post
Yep. 100%. When I first stopped this time, sitting still made me feel like I was going to pass out. I don't know why, but pacing around my office kept my mind off those black clouds swirling in my head.
It does get better, by the way
Old 01-18-2014, 11:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

12:22 a.m. still awake, still in a bit of pain. Wishing I got some benzos from my doctor at my last visit......
Old 01-18-2014, 11:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Why not call your dr tomorrow and have a talk about your drinking concerns. And really consider a detox or rehab to get you off on the right foot.

Man, insomnia was the worst when I first quit. It took a while for that to get sorted out. I spent a lot of time watching tv. I watched the entire series of Buffy the Vampire Slayer! I'd just lie there watching tv between AA meetings and work. But hey, it got me through!
Old 01-18-2014, 11:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Sometimes if I got really desperate........I'd.......clean my house!
Old 01-19-2014, 12:21 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My biggest motivator in helping me quit is my health. I am a hypochondriac and I constantly search for what is wrong with me. If I keep this up, I will truly have something wrong with me such as a bum liver or kidneys.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I only drank alcoholically for 4 years and ended up with liver damage (I'm a woman though effects us quicker). I went to detox, white knuckled it for 3 weeks, then ended up thinking I could try some controlled drinking. Found myself on a 3 week bender (funny the amount of time I was sober). Missed a lot of work, got extremely sick, and the subsequent hangover was horrendous. All of that was AFTER I was told I had liver damage and detox. When I got sober again, I finally made a better plan to stay sober - not just believe it was some test of my wills. If you keep drinking and bad hangovers, you won't need to be a hypochondriac to think something is wrong. It will happen Do something different this time than what you did before to support your sobriety.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sanantoniosober View Post
Everyone else has posted the standard and correct advice about water and going to the ER if you feel the need to or are starting withdrawals. I'll add this;

Remember. Remember how you feel RIGHT NOW. Don't call yourself a wimp. What you are going through is terribly difficult, and only those of us that have been through it know exactly how bad it can be.

Don't romanticize that you were able to clean up your apartment. Don't rationalize that you can "handle" it and use that to drink again. It's not about being a wimp or not. It's about a disease that manages to convince you that it's the only thing that will make you feel better when in fact it's killing you.

Remember how this feels, and that it's bad enough to make you never want to feel that way again. Then truly commit to not drinking. You don't have to say you'll NEVER have another drink if that's to much, just say you won't have another drink this month. Or this week. Or tomorrow. Or even just tonight if that's all you can honestly commit to right now. Then, remember how you feel right now and the next time you want to drink ask yourself if you want to feel that way tomorrow (if you're lucky, I sure couldn't come back from drinking in just one day).

Commit this moment and this feeling to your memory, and know you are not alone in this.
THIS. Drinking like that is purposefully damaging your body, even if that wasn't the original intention. None of us are immune. If you continue to drink like that, you will do serious damage. All for what?

If you can't control your drinking, think about what its worth to you to keep going.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Magsie

I don't miss the hangovers, the fogginess, infact I didn't really know my head was foggy until I stopped. Then the fog lifted, slowly, wow, what a difference.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
jkb

Hi Sorensen-

I really hope you are feeling better today. I know back in the day that first day would be horrendous, the second would be agony and usually by the third I was just miserable enough but, would start again.

I am glad you are ready to stop.

Jess
Old 01-19-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I feel better but still very hungover...I don't think I have had a hangover that carried over to the next day with this severity. A
Old 01-19-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I do not have to feel like that again, that is the beaty of it.

Take care and stay strong.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm starting to feel human again, and I thank god that I am still alive. I almost feel like I have been given a second chance. I have too many good things going for me: I have a wonderful family, a good paying job, loyal friends etc.

I will use all of these positives in my life to help me stay sober.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

This was always the danger point for me. I'd feel better and the memory of the pain would subside into the background, and I'd find myself picking up a drink with no recollection of the pain it caused me last time, or I would think I could handle it 'this time'. I was wrong!

What about you, Sorensen? Are you thinking about quitting alcohol all together, or do you want to explore trying to moderate and control your drinking?

Most of us on SR have probably tried to moderate and control, but found abstinence is the only solution.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I plan on quitting for good. I can drink in moderation when I want to but it always turns ugly eventually and I'll have a big binge like I did on Friday. That being said it's just not worth it to continue playing with fire.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:49 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good decision!
Old 01-20-2014, 12:28 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

You got this down, and now remember you have SR anytime. Don't miss a day when still in Recovery.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Science and Scripture

Look into a prescription of Naltrexone. It relies upon a mechanism called pharmacological extinction, which works by blocking the positive reinforcement effects of ethanol-triggered endorphin in the brain. Your cravings will diminish and you can then deal with your causative issues.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
I plan on quitting for good. I can drink in moderation when I want to but it always turns ugly eventually and I'll have a big binge like I did on Friday. That being said it's just not worth it to continue playing with fire.
Just look at your post. A day after withdrawal and you have deluded yourself into drinking again. The proof is in your word use.

You plan to quit...could have said I am done.

I can drink in moderation...this is the dream of most alcoholic and there are pages of words on how this is a mirage, but maybe you will be different.

I hope you quit but if I were to place a bet based on your words, I would take the under.