Notices

What do you do to stop your temptation?

Old 01-17-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question What do you do to stop your temptation?

Okay so you're in a shop and you see beer or any alcohol that tickles your fancy. You feel the temptation nagging and nibbling at you inside. What do you do in order to stop yourself from saying "ah screw it.." and picking up the alcohol?

For me it's very tempting, I'll think about it at least 5 times but i keep thinking "NO! You're stronger than that! Get out of there as soon as possible, throw the temptation to the back of your mind and stride off knowing that you beat it!"

Like earlier i could have bought myself one beer, just one beer without anybody noticing but i swore that i would stick to what i agreed on and I'd be so weak if i just caved in. Sometimes i find myself literally shaking my head as if i were shaking the thoughts away, shaking myself out of it and back into reasoning.

Walking away from it gives me a feeling of pride and accomplishment...
Old 01-17-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I imagine it is particulary hard for you, since you've not quit drinking completely. By drinking on weekends, you've left the door open for your addiction to tease you into starting early, just have one, etc.

I am glad you had the strength to say no today. Why not say no this weekend and put an end to the temptations for good?
Old 01-17-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

we have to stop entertaining these thoughts

a man is what he thinkith

if I keep thinking about doing the wrong thing

in time I probably will

MB
Old 01-17-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Only you can answer this question , But if you really have a problem .

Totally quitting is the easy way to handle it .

I can be away from the cravings ,Then drink one beer and it resets the cravings .

If im away from beer for a week or so ,the cravings subside gradually .

If the majority of us here could moderate ,we would not be here .

It took a while ,before I found out the people here were correct .

The only treatment for alcoholism that works 100% of the time is abstaining 100% of the time . Give this last statement some thought .

Its a difficult pill to swallow ,but the only effective "medicine " I found .
Old 01-17-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'd stay out of liquor stores, for the first thing.
For the second, I'd think that first drink through to the end and the ramifications it will bring.
I used to go into a liquor store, years ago to buy cigarettes, and I saw a guy buying the same thing I would have. A twelve pack and a shooter of whiskey. The whiskey is to get things started. The beer to keep them going. I saw myself, and the way I used to be.
I wasn't tempted. I was sorry for the guy.

I'm sorry for all alcoholics because I know the suffering it brings, not to mention seeing three friends die from alcohol.
Like the old saying goes, 'you hang around a barber shop long enough and you're going to get a haircut'.
I stay out of liquor stores now. I know the horrors that await me.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

If person drivin needs to stop @ liquor store, I just wait in car. If too tempting for you even grocery store, go w/ someone
Old 01-17-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 01-17-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I always have something to eat. It doesn't have to be a huge amount. I think I will have to put this on my signature, I am getting boring saying this every five minutes xxxxx
Old 01-17-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have been able to limit temptation by establish a routine that limits triggers, as well as replacing alcoholic behaviors/routines.

As an example, I used to drink myself to sleep. I couldn't sleep without having multiple drinks while watching TV. I now have this new routine where I drink diet Sprite and have a few Reese's Minis while watching TV. Every night I do this at the same time I used to drink alcohol and watch TV (I read in another thread that someone did something like this, so I thought I'd give it a try).

For me, so much of my cravings/temptations were actually built into a routine. So, establishing a new, but similar routine helped.

I also was able to change jobs, which reduced my number one source of stress (not an option for everyone).

Finally, like many people I stopped driving and walking by liquor stores.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
I always have something to eat. It doesn't have to be a huge amount. I think I will have to put this on my signature, I am getting boring saying this every five minutes xxxxx

Food does it for me ,and as crazy as this sounds Decaff coffee does too .

The coffee is very puzzling ,but it works ,and I never said I was normal
Old 01-20-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"stop yourself from saying "ah screw it.." and picking up the alcohol?"

I remember then and look in the mirror at the now.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm quite deep into the experimental phase of this right now, considering I'm only two weeks into alcohol abstinence and this is first time I'm serious trying to quit long term (hopefully permanently). The cravings are insane sometimes, it's almost physically painful, but I sense it's started getting easier. What has worked well so far:

1. Like others suggested: small quantities of healthy food. I actually almost stopped eating regular meals during the first days, because I figured small snacks were so effective to alleviate alcohol cravings. But I'm trying to get back to a more scheduled diet now. I would not recommend sweets and sugary snacks though, if possible, but I read many people find those effective as well.

2. Try to avoid routes near liquor stores when possible, although this is not always possible.

3. One of the best mental tricks for me right now is something I've learned on SR from others' posts, what they call "playing the tape till the end". Means whenever I have strong cravings and temptation of the AV to lure me into buying alcohol, I try to strongly concentrate, visualize, and recall the countless miserable, wasted, painful hangover days and all the guilt and shame associated with them. The insane paranoia and fear of death associated with withdrawal. The depression... In other words, I try to focus my mind on negative memories associated with alcohol and scare the *** out of myself. During my drinking days my mind would rather do the opposite and dissociate these negative experiences, so I try not to let it now. A sort of AVRT approach, I guess. Seems to help.

4. Distraction (I check my phone, email, SR, whatever).

Finally, I've also experimented with moderation and scheduling my binges for many years, mostly unsuccessfully. Now that I have 2 weeks sober, can confidently say that the cravings are much less intense after even a short period of abstinence. I can't imagine being able to handle them effectively while still drinking some.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I come here and ask for help.

And then I wait for responses to carry me through the worst moments until they pass.

This sanctuary has saved me more than once.

Even once on a plane...