Notices

War Stories

Old 01-16-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with being able to laugh about crap that happened in the past.. whether it be from drinking or something else. if i get to the point that I can laugh about it..it doesn't haunt me anymore.. I don't

think it compromises my sobriety..I don't have to take everything so seriously..I would just be way too stressed out if i did..i can't laugh about everything negative in my past yet..but i hope someday i can.. thats.just the way i see things
We are on a Forum with free speech, so I don't have a problem. I do think focusing on negative events is somewhat counterproductive to moving forward - just my experience. I also think us alcoholics and addicts are sensitive people so if the point is to laugh at other's misery I am not so sure how this is productive too.

I have shared with the best of them so I have been guilty. I have also laughed too (like the allergy post about breaking out in handcuffs). I avoid the threads now or try too, depending upon my mood.

I think you have posted about how you can't stand the AA drunkalogs - is this not the same thing though - just virtual Cabo?
Old 01-16-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I guess it's possible, in early sobriety, these types of posts could be helpful. But, my personal thoughts are that after a while, we don't need them; and like anything else we outgrow, we have no use for them.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

One of my favorite quotes:

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that's why we call it the present."

(from Winnie the Pooh)

Old 01-16-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
For me it is a frightening and sobering reminder of who I become when I drink.

It's an admission of sorts, an attempt at true confessions as for me, I'm a Shame Bot who carries it for far too long. And I feel like when I put it out there, I no longer have to be as sick as my secrets.

It's deeply healing for me.

And it ain't funny.
^This ^ I love the word "Shamebot". It describes me to a T. It is more than keeping the secrets for me though. I have an amazing ability to minimize the crazy consequences of my drinking. It's only when I read about it here that I can see how insane it is; that is, when I read somebody else's experience I can finally see the parallel with mine. It's a mirror that helps me see myself more clearly, more honestly, and even with less shame because if wonderful people like you all have done stupid, ridiculous things because of the drink, then I can't be a horrible human being just because of that, right?
I don't plan on dwelling on the stupid things I've done or wallow in them, but I do need to see myself clearly and honestly, and sometimes the "war stories" help me to see that. They also show me what the future might be if I don't stop now...
My two cents.

June
Old 01-16-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
I guess it's possible, in early sobriety, these types of posts could be helpful. But, my personal thoughts are that after a while, we don't need them; and like anything else we outgrow, we have no use for them.
I hope to get to that place soon.

June
Old 01-16-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
We are on a Forum with free speech, so I don't have a problem. I do think focusing on negative events is somewhat counterproductive to moving forward - just my experience. I also think us alcoholics and addicts are sensitive people so if the point is to laugh at other's misery I am not so sure how this is productive too.

I have shared with the best of them so I have been guilty. I have also laughed too (like the allergy post about breaking out in handcuffs). I avoid the threads now or try too, depending upon my mood.

I think you have posted about how you can't stand the AA drunkalougs - is this not the same thing though - just virtual Cabo?
no you said you can't stand drunkalouges..i said i don't care for people that have fake humility in recovery but discussing that would have to bring up things I don't bring up anymore..you are actually the one who i first hear the term drunkalouge from..i never even heard it before

I don't really know what the term mans to tell you the truth..I thought it just meant somebody who tells stories over during active and recovery in alcoholism that are not authentic or heartfelt but are in a way bragging..or using the guise of humiilty to brag..not just telling a short story with someone

either way i can take them or leave..but im not offended by them...but like i said i will avoid them now
Old 01-16-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Have to admit I was waiting for Dee or another moderator to call out those War Story threads and honestly, I felt a little guilty reading them and posting in them. But, I asked myself why I was drawn to them and why I felt guilty posting in them. I found it very cathartic to finally "say" it out loud. Yeah, I may have just typed it out but it felt good to get it out, something I would have never done in a meeting or communicate to another person face to face (at least not yet anyway) for fear of being judged. Also, it made me feel less insane and more connected to some folks on here.

But, I understand why these threads can be very counter productive.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

My purpose in this thread was/is to try and get a sense of where members are at.

Yes we believe in free speech here - and I do think genuine catharsis can be beneficial - but if things are triggering new members, or in someway harmful to them, we need to look at that as a community I think?

so far the attitudes seem split 50/50 along the lines of those new to recovery and those with a few years up.

D
Old 01-16-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

The absolute last thing I want to do when I read those stories is emulate them. In any manner.

I shudder at them. But I also relate to them. On a cellular level that gives me both peace because I'm finally understood and out of the shame, and fear because one drink would take me right back.

But I respect you literally more than most people I know.

So whatever you decide I'm with you.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL I may decide nothing AO...I'd like to hear from some SR newcomers too...

just puttin' it out there for now

D
Old 01-16-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

There is nothing funny about some of my war stories. I have been at deaths door a few times.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I guess I'm just going to ditto everything alphaomega says. Agree 100%.

June
Old 01-16-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

For me, those threads humble me and keep me scared straight. It always seems like it is those with a little more sobriety under their belt who have been on this forum for some time that seem to be disturbed by them. I've seen posts in those threads that seem full of bravado, but I've also seen posts from those who don't like those threads that seem judgmental.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
so far the attitudes seem split 50/50 along the lines of those new to recovery and those with a few years up.

D
Was there a poll and I missed it?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

well if one person feels it truly threatens their sobriety..then i guess there you have your answer..i wasn't quite clear on if it did or not...but i'm going to guess yes
  # 36 (permalink)  
p***enger

I don't like to read them. Reading them, sometimes I start to think kind of competitively, like "can I top that?" and I get bad ideas. Probably I should think they're funny, but I'm too raw for that. I think if I found myself reading war story threads, that would indicate a problem.
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Was there a poll and I missed it?
Just my amazing powers of observation Olive

D
Old 01-16-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I do read them , for me it serves as a place I never want to go back to .

It's real funny though , all our friends and family remember the things we did. .
It's not so humorous when family members tell us of the things we did .

I guess I'm split on the war stories too .
Old 01-16-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

It makes me cringe a little when people include drinking and driving among a list of incidents that are merely embarrassing or otherwise not reprehensible.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

You never know.

Sometimes an innocent thread degrades into war stories, and sometimes war stories can be very therapeutic. In general, I think a thread dedicated to war stories is inappropriate in the "Newcomers to Recovery" section, since they are less about newcomers and recovery and more about old-timers behaving badly. But sharing experiences is an essential part of this forum, and maybe war stories are what a particular newcomer needs. So, as I said, you never know.

But Deckard just brought up an important point--are we endangering freedom of speech (that is, inviting a search warrant) if there is too much discussion of illegal activity?

Last edited by Coldfusion; 01-16-2014 at 09:22 PM. Reason: addition