Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

35 Year Old Alcoholic Mother Dying Of Liver Failure

Notices

Old 01-14-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mother who drank 40 cans of lager and a bottle of cider a day faces death at just 35 | Mail Online

I know it's The Daily Mail, but still...

We should all be grateful for our second chance and everything we've got.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
Mother who drank 40 cans of lager and a bottle of cider a day faces death at just 35 | Mail Online

Very sad, by the grace of God there go I.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

God bless her and her family.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Terrible
Old 01-14-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sobering, literally and figuratively.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Brought tears to my eyes
What a terrible way to die and her poor family...but for the grace of God.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Happens more often than you think. Sad but part of alcoholism. Every weekend people die in my town in alcohol related crashes. A few weeks ago a drunk driver hit 4 hunters gathering on the side of a road and killed 2 of them near my town. This past weekend there were 2 alcohol related snowmobile deaths on saturday night alone. A father of 3 school age children my kids go to school with literally drank himself to death at 42 last fall. His kids and wife got the privilege of watching him die in hospice care despite repeated warnings by his family and doctor. He went from a "functioning alcoholic" to acute liver failure and death in literally about 4 months.

I'm not sure that any of these things really sink in with many alcoholics as it's never going to happen to "me" until it does, but it's always worth repeating in the hopes that it saves a few.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

so, so sad.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Alcohol is serious business!!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow...what a true reality check. I have never seen pictures such as this. So sad! Thank you to God for being sober today.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I wasn't too far off her intake of booze..and im just a little younger..scary
Old 01-14-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How sad;(
Old 01-15-2014, 12:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post

I have never consumed 40 cans of lager (or anything) at any point in my life EVER. I think my limits was and will always be four bottles of beers.

Wow, 40 cans of lager a day? Yikes. I'd be hard pressed to take a challenge where I had to consume 40 cans in a row and that's just doing it ONCE in a year.

Very sad for her children and Spouse. They had to endure her addiction and now that addiction has won completely.

I got off drinking because I had a wake up call of my own and besides, I just got plain sick of feeling like crap after a night of heavy drinking.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

OMG. Just OMG. That is absolutely horrific.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So very sad.
I know two people with liver disease that are still drinking.
And knowing all that i do about this illness i can do nothing .
They both drink to 'forget' that it's killing them.
Tragic.
G
Old 01-15-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Jesus. That is hardcore.

40 cans a day is mental, and I don't see how it is possible, but looking at the state of her, I don't doubt she managed it.

How is this **** even legal? It beggars belief. It makes absolutely no sense that this stuff is legal, yet other drugs are not.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TDInstall View Post
Jesus. That is hardcore.

40 cans a day is mental, and I don't see how it is possible, but looking at the state of her, I don't doubt she managed it.

How is this **** even legal? It beggars belief. It makes absolutely no sense that this stuff is legal, yet other drugs are not.
Not sure how legality comes into the picture, ive seen just as terrible images from people affected by illegal drugs.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This is the insanity of our disease. We are no different - she is one of us folks. We all have the capacity to drink when we don't want to, to drink into illness, and to drink ourselves death. It's called "powerlessness", and one way we avoid admitting our own powerlessness is by identifying people who are "worse" than us and saying to our self "well at least I'm not THAT bad." But if we have ever taken a drink when we didn't want to, or drank more than we wanted to and have that nagging feeling we might have a problem, there's a good chance we are heading down the exact same road if we don't already realize it. But many a sober alcoholic knows that we have to come to the conclusion ourselves - until we are ready to deal with our own experiences and admit our own addicition based on our own actions, sobriety is hard to maintain because we do not begin to address the source of our problems.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Climber122 View Post
This is the insanity of our disease. We are no different - she is one of us folks. We all have the capacity to drink when we don't want to, to drink into illness, and to drink ourselves death. It's called "powerlessness", and one way we avoid admitting our own powerlessness is by identifying people who are "worse" than us and saying to our self "well at least I'm not THAT bad." But if we have ever taken a drink when we didn't want to, or drank more than we wanted to and have that nagging feeling we might have a problem, there's a good chance we are heading down the exact same road if we don't already realize it. But many a sober alcoholic knows that we have to come to the conclusion ourselves - until we are ready to deal with our own experiences and admit our own addicition based on our own actions, sobriety is hard to maintain because we do not begin to address the source of our problems.
What a brilliant post....
What you shared is so true....
Around Christmas time, I reached out to my middle school friend who
I dated for almost a year (2 years ago) and....
He told me that he recently left his fiancé because she was an alcoholic, abused cocaine and cheated on him...

He said there was "no helping her" so he's back to square one....
What I found rather interesting, yet horrifying at the same time is...
"I" was the person who needed to walk away because of HIS issues with alcohol.....

I guess he couldn't handle the fact that I didn't care much for the drinking although I adored him as a person....

I suppose it makes perfect sense that he would "rebound" with someone else who's worse off than he is because she would be too busy nursing her own addiction to ever bother noticing his....

(Sigh)

Anyway you slice is, this disease is really awful...

I'm so glad that there are people out there who beat it....

All the best,

Linda
Old 01-15-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Climber122 View Post
As has been said terrific post...