Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

35 Year Old Alcoholic Mother Dying Of Liver Failure

Notices

35 Year Old Alcoholic Mother Dying Of Liver Failure

Old 01-15-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have a friend that works in a hospital, and she said she had a patient with cirrhosis at 23 years of age last week. So sad.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Terribly sad. Even consuming half that amount of alcohol would've caused similar damage eventually. My only hesitation about articles like this is that they make other drinkers in society feel better about their consumption because the quantity this lady consumed is not relatable to most people. But I certainly don't doubt that someone could reach that level of drinking. I hope this article serves as a warning that alcoholism this severe is just as bad as an addiction to harder drugs such as heroin or crack.

Unfortunately it's becoming a more common trend in younger people nowadays. I remember the story of Gary Reinbach who was 22 and died from what doctors described as the worst case of cirrhosis of the liver they'd ever seen. He was on 3 bottles of vodka a day.

When alcoholism becomes that powerful it really is no joke, nor is it a matter of mere will power of moral fibre. It's beyond that. None of us are exempt from reaching this poor young woman's state unless we keep off the bottle. Thanks for sharing this article. Needed a shock today !
Old 01-15-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
My only hesitation about articles like this is that they make other drinkers in society feel better about their consumption because the quantity this lady consumed is not relatable to most people
Yeah, that's a good point, there is no way I would have even gotten close to that volume of consumption in one sitting, I'm pretty short with a slim build, and my blood alcohol level rises pretty quickly, I've had alcoholic poisoning in the past, and so I would pass out (dangerously) long before drinking all that.

But if I was reading that story and still drinking, maybe over a morning coffee and my newspaper, I'd convince myself "well I ONLY drink a half bottle of liquor every evening or on a night out ONLY 10 pints, so I'll be fine"

The problem is alcoholism hasn't got anything to do with quantity, it's our addictive attitude to alcohol that needs to be tackled, the only answer for most is Sobriety!!
Old 01-15-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I recently read about this online. it just shows how severe the illness is. It just makes me even more determined to do my best in recovery. It really could be anyone in that poor Girls position.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

While seeing her picture makes me a bit sad I have very little sympathy for other people. I feel like the world has screwed me over because of my alcoholism and all I ever received from anyone is judgement.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

This article is a mirror image of how my own mother passed away from cirrhosis, sadly. She looked the exact same way, ended up in a nursing home at 48, epileptic seizures, leaving 3 children behind. This was all almost 4 years ago but seeing this brought me back to that time and how easily I could end up like this if I take that first drink again. Thank you for sharing! 4 months and going strong.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fancycat View Post
This article is a mirror image of how my own mother passed away from cirrhosis, sadly. She looked the exact same way, ended up in a nursing home at 48, epileptic seizures, leaving 3 children behind. This was all almost 4 years ago but seeing this brought me back to that time and how easily I could end up like this if I take that first drink again. Thank you for sharing! 4 months and going strong.
Fancycat,

I'm so glad you choose sobriety....
I wish you all the best....

Linda
Old 01-15-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

That's heartbreaking
Old 01-21-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Way to go, Fancycat!! Keep up the good fight !