Notices

EMOTIONAL SOBRIETY the balanced scales

Old 08-11-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
zjw

I'm not as angry or have "why is the world against me" type of thinking.
Yeah I dont have the world is against me stuff anymore thankfully. I've let go of all that. But My odd thing is I was less angry when i was a drunk like My anger only ever went so far. It was not so hard to control myself becuase I new booze was there for me etc...

But now anger is a much more fierce emotion for me one that I have to actually for the first time in my life watch myself with and catch myself with. I never really had to dot hat before. I dont get angry as often but when i do beer is no longer some calming force for me I gotta find other ways.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

EMOTIONAL SOBRIETY the balanced scales

Working to keep a healthy balance between my emotions and thinking has proved to be a long process. It was my Sponsor in early sobriety that brought to my minds eye the importance of this balance and how when we were drinking our emotions at many times took over.

Year 8 here without a drink and the scales of balance I have noticed lately are still improving. Wow - if I would not have stayed sober I would have never known or even cared how important this is.

MM
Old 11-04-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Working to keep a healthy balance between my emotions and thinking has proved to be a long process. It was my Sponsor in early sobriety that brought to my minds eye the importance of this balance and how when we were drinking our emotions at many times took over.

Year 8 here without a drink and the scales of balance I have noticed lately are still improving. Wow - if I would not have stayed sober I would have never known or even cared how important this is.

MM
awesome stuff,MM.

can ya imagine where we'd be if we just put down the drink and didnt put in any footwork? if we kept living in our selfish, self centered, self pity selves? didnt look inward? didnt keep seeking?

im very greatful that i am willing to continue seeking and learning.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I came across a good link on the emotional sobriety concept, which is a good concept, at alcoholrehab.com, Emotional Sobriety | Alcohol Rehab
Old 11-04-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
I came across a good link on the emotional sobriety concept, which is a good concept, at alcoholrehab.com, Emotional Sobriety | Alcohol Rehab
Thanks for the link JeffreyAK. I was going through some of the emotional challenges today. I see I've already put some of the tools into my tool box. Now all I've got to do is give it time.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Bill W reached some interesting conclusions on this subject and my experience leads me to believe he was right about two very specific things that lead to emotional sobriety.

1) Dependence on people, places and things, even AA, must be broken, in favour of our higher power.
2) Stability comes from giving, not receiving.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

One of the things I like about the concept is, it's not tied to any particular recovery philosophy. So, higher powers are not required, though the concept may be valuable for some people. It's really about stability, and not being blown around by the emotional winds that can lead us back down the wrong path if we let them. Not permitting external events and other people to drive our emotions, and remaining serene to the extent that we can. I've found, it's pretty key for my own long-term sobriety and stability, and things that used to jerk my chain, generally most of the time don't anymore.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Of course I am meaning our own understanding of our higher power. If one's human resources have always proved adequate, then one would need no higher power other than one's self. For me, I found finite self totally inadequate, and completely unreliable.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

la la land

This seems to be my main battle in sobriety.

EMOTIONAL SOBRIETY the balanced scales.

It seems that I'm working on this 24 hours a day !

Don't wish to go to la la land.

MB
Old 11-14-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Great thread!!
Old 11-14-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

One Acid Test I use is:

If something seems so upsetting right now, try to remember what was upsetting exactly one Year ago to the Day. Of course, most of us can't. This quantifier puts into perspective what 'upset' actually is, and what is worth getting torqued over.

A lot of things work themselves out, and/or become irrelevant over time. They're transient.

The Guy I view in the Mirror every Morning is quite adequate at sorting out, and meeting these challenges. I don't much care if this was the case in the past. It's definitely the case now; the only Reality that matters to me...
Old 11-15-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

MM,

Another great thread -- I am an over thinker drunk or sober.

Its learning to be loving, vulnerable, emotional without fear or beer that is my goal.

Thanks for all your thoughtfulness.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Shout out to Radar -- where you been -- I have been missing you.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

it's looking to be a nice sober one

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post

Its learning to be loving, vulnerable, emotional without fear or beer that is my goal.
Thank you Dropsie,
Got my attention with that line.
I will do my best to work on that today.
For we do have today and it's looking to be a nice sober one.
MB