Notices

What am I really?

Old 01-13-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What am I really?

I am a 33 year old, unemployed, single, recovering alcoholic living in my parents attic.

I'm having a bad evening. Most of the time lately, I am quite upbeat. Just today I feel weary. This is hard.

I have been applying for jobs...and nothing. I have signed up for another computer course to keep my skills up to date.

I have been trying to stay positive and I am making a list of goals I want to achieve in 2014, (travelling or volunteering abroad.) Being scraped up off the floor after another seizure is NOT one of them! My father keeps telling me "Rome wasn't built in a day".

I am now off to start a "gratitude journal" and eat this box of chocolates I found downstairs. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day....
Old 01-13-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're staying positive Tetra - best of luck with your job hunting - and your 2014 goals

D
Old 01-13-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stay strong Tetra.

Jobs are not that easy to find now, do not let that take you down.

33 is rather young decades (well at least one) since I was that.

I could be less than hallway through this life.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep going Tetra!! . . . your dads right, but then again "what have the Romans ever done for us"

Stay positive and you'll get there!!
Old 01-13-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Um, a bag of mostly water? Stupid Star Trek joke. Just kidding Tetra, you're a nice person and I enjoy your posts. Your dad is right, easy does it and keep moving forward.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much

I am a bit introspective today. My brother and his girlfriend got engaged over Christmas and they have gone back to their home. He has been sending me pictures and e-mails of the snowfall there.

My cousin is due to give birth any day now.

My dad says it's perfectly fine that my path has not followed...a straight line if you know what I mean, and that comparing ourselves to others is a bad thing to do. When he was still working, he often had students in his classes that were over 70...In a few years, I might like to go back to college and do an MA.

Just sometimes I feel...kind of stuck. Everyone seems to be moving on and I am taking things day by day and just putting one foot in front of the other.

Just at times I feel old! I was having a discussion with someone today and we were talking about the TV show Friends and how it began 20 years ago and ended 10 years ago. I remember when I was 14 I used to watch it with my older sister. I clearly remember the episode where Rachel decides to write a romantic novel and Ross says "Did you guys get to the part about his big throbbing pens? I tell ya, you don't want to be around when he starts writing with those"

So I guess my question is: is it too late to start over?
Old 01-13-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Never too late Tetra!!

A very dear friend of mine flailed around most of her adult life trying on different careers and personas. (She did not abuse any substances, just had a hard time finding herself...)

Finally at 40 she took the LSAT and passed it and went to law school. She is in her 50's now and very successful at her law practice...

NEVER too late!!!!!
Old 01-13-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Never too late, never ever!! liking that you are going to get that gratitude journal going, bet you are glad you are not my age!! 53 and just 3 months sober, grab this disease by the throat and choke the living day lights out of it xx
Old 01-13-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

never too late to start over!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
totfit

Your father's phrase he gave you is likely a very good mantra. Unfortunately, patience and continued persistence are what did the trick for me and no for me, "Rome was not built in a day", but I would not trade what came over time for anything in the world. You are at a good point in life whether you realize it or not if you just keep putting one foot in front of the other and moving forward.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
I am a 33 year old, unemployed, single, recovering alcoholic living in my parents attic.

I'm having a bad evening. Most of the time lately, I am quite upbeat. Just today I feel weary. This is hard.

I have been applying for jobs...and nothing. I have signed up for another computer course to keep my skills up to date.

I have been trying to stay positive and I am making a list of goals I want to achieve in 2014, (travelling or volunteering abroad.) Being scraped up off the floor after another seizure is NOT one of them! My father keeps telling me "Rome wasn't built in a day".

I am now off to start a "gratitude journal" and eat this box of chocolates I found downstairs. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day....
You're Dad makes a good point! You are sober and moving in the right direction, I think you deserve to take some pride in that.
I struggle with how much work this is too, I want the new life I envision now!
Old 01-13-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Good for you Tetra! If you stay sober twill be ok
I'm unemp too & it's tuf but I know pouring a drink over it will just make my life worse
Hang in there
Old 01-14-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

NEVER too late Tetra. I'm 31, and just quit drinking last year. If this drunk Irish Texan can do it, ANYONE can!

I remember Friends too, though I never much cared for it. Maybe because my high school band made us play that stupid theme song every football and basketball game.