Notices

Recovery Facebook Groups

Old 01-08-2014, 01:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery Facebook Groups

Whats your opinion on local recovery Facebook groups?

A new one has started in my locality of which many local fellowship members were added without being asked. Whilst most of us know each other, I can't help feeling it is overwhelming for a newcomer. Imagine for instance someone comes to a few meetings adds one or two they contact with to Facebook, then to find they get added to a group showing their surname to everyone in the group.

This particular group has dropped the AA name from it, they have also made it secret. Whilst some enjoy using these sort of groups there are others who do not like to use Facebook for their recovery.

My own opinion is that anonymity should be respected and just because its a secret group anonymity is still breached, as adding someone to these groups is showing everyone in the AA local meetings their surname.

Whats your opinion?
Old 01-08-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I joined one and all my fb friends were notified. It was embarassing and I asked why the posts were not kept secret and they replied, you should be out and proud.' Another rcovery group who said all forms of recovery ideas are welcome, banned me as soon as I said I didn't attend AA anymore. They kept saying things like, 'if you don't give yourself to God you will die.' But I am still here and sober so they were quite mistaken. I give them a wide berth now.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

If anonymity matters, then being FB friends with people in recovery can be an issue. Certain things are shared, sometimes groups we join, or even occasional posts by others who might not feel a need to remain anonymous.

I don't do it. I can't imagine why a newbie would friend others on FB, that they don't know etc. But then I keep my "friends" list small and limited to actual friends. People can't add you to a group unless you've friended them
Old 01-08-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
I joined one and all my fb friends were notified. It was embarassing and I asked why the posts were not kept secret and they replied, you should be out and proud.' Another rcovery group who said all forms of recovery ideas are welcome, banned me as soon as I said I didn't attend AA anymore. They kept saying things like, 'if you don't give yourself to God you will die.' But I am still here and sober so they were quite mistaken. I give them a wide berth now.
That's madness!! . . . Facebook I find isn't the most friendly and tolerant website in the world!!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
OMG, there are so many people that think they old the key. But look who has 10 years under her belt and solid as a rock in her sobriety ;-)
Old 01-08-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Can you imagine...
Everyone being notified of your recovery status, out there for all the world to see, forever.
I would be mortified. Only to answered with "You should be out and proud", That should be for me to decide whom I tell.

You are fabulous, and alway so helpful. KateL
Old 01-08-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
People can't add you to a group unless you've friended them
But if you have friended them, they can add you to ANY group, without your permission. This is my issue. And anonymity of course.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Last names are not anonymous in aa.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

If we aren't very diligent, Facebook membership can become a nightmare. I don't use my real name on FB (just like I don't use my real name here) and I only have a very limited number of friends. I think I have about 7 in all and two of them are my daughters.

Check your privacy settings regularly. I have mine set where no one can see my page unless they are a friend. Not friends of friends...just my friends. I have never had a problem.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My opinion is that Facebook itself is a colossal waste of time and mostly just a vanity outlet. I cancelled my account about 3 years ago and it was one of the best things I have ever done.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I quit Facebook a couple years ago after my evil-abusive-psycho-ex used it to send nasty messages to my friends.

Seems like an awful lot of drama can be linked back to it.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

No drama for me. That's how I keep up with my daughters and my grandchildren. If you're careful, you won't have problems.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

I get my local AA group on fb. I enjoy it immensely! Many of us introduce ourselves with first and last names in the meetings anyway....
Old 01-09-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. With this being a secret group there is no possibility of it showing up on your newsfeed as having joined, my main issue is that it has been overwhelming to a couple of newcomers that I know. The other thing is there are some in AA that I'd rather they not have access to my Facebook page, being added to the group I feel should be by invite, not this idea of just being added.

Its not really my thing to post about recovery on Facebook, though I realise others do.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Facebook is a terrible idea for anyone concerned about anonymity. The idea of AA (anonymous!?!?! hahahah) on facebook is laughable.

DO NOT JOIN ANY FACEBOOK GROUP THAT YOU ARE UNWILLING TO SHARE WITH THE WORLD AT SOME POINT !

Facebook has some really nice datamining tools that it sells to anyone willing to pay and also makes public in some locations.

Facebook *will* sell your anonymity.

Introducing Facebook Graph Search

https://www.facebook.com/about/graphsearch

This search tool letts you find out all the stuff your friends are interested in, have "liked" or joined or followed or commented on.. It build correlations and patterns.

BUT... Thats just the search they make available for *free* -- if you are willing to pay, I expect there is a whole other world of data to be mined.

So, dont do it folks !
Old 01-09-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yeah, face book is a bit mad full stop! Some of the statuses on there are nothing short of insane and everyone airing theirs, and everyone elses dirty washing. Mad I tell you
Old 01-09-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
No drama for me. That's how I keep up with my daughters and my grandchildren. If you're careful, you won't have problems.
Not true. Its out of your hands what is made public and what information is shared about you and your family.

Facebook is fantastic fun, but you cannot trust your privacy to it... Never.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
But if you have friended them, they can add you to ANY group, without your permission. This is my issue. And anonymity of course.
that's why I don't friend folks from my recovery groups or work.

I'm one of those who like to keep my worlds seperate.

I totally understand anonymity issues.

Awesome for people who are out and proud...but that's not safe, feasible or what's best for all of us.

I know that people have invited me to join their groups, and their invitation might show up on my newsfeed, but I haven't had anyone put me in their group without my permission.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

By being careful, I mean not revealing anything I wouldn't want to be made public. No one should EVER expect privacy when it comes to anything on the internet. I don't give statuses. I don't join groups, I don't spread my personal business around and I do not use my real name. I don't have my family members specified as "family." They are in with the other 5 people (that I know and trust) as friends.

Again, if you are diligent, you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I was very surprised when I got into recovery how many people seemed affronted that I actually cared to remain anonymous!

They wanted to know where I lived, worked, what my spouse did, where my kids went to school. I KNOW that generally that is normal polite small talk...but recovery group isn't quite a normal situation.

I love FB and haven't had any issues with it, but I do keep my friends group small, and people who I am actually friends/family with. I use it to keep in touch with them and it's drama free. If I don't want to see what someone is up to I can change my privacy settings, and yes, remember nothing is totally private, so act accordingly.

As always it IS up to us to protect our anonymity etc. We can't put it out there and then be angry someone else didn't protect it.