Notices

Short term memory?

Old 01-07-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Short term memory?

Ever since I started drinking, I feel like my memory has been getting worse. Of course I know that alcohol kills brain cells, ughh-

But here's my question- for those of you who have quit for a substantial amount of time, do you notice an improvement in your memory?

I'll be at work and just find myself forgetting things I just learned or easily forget numbers, and I'm like what the hell am I just dumb?? It has to be a connection with the alcohol, I just hope that in my soberiety, it will improve and I'll be okay!

Chris
Old 01-07-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Mine improved a lot and I even learned a second language x
Old 01-07-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well that's good news, thanks! : )
Old 01-07-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

xxxxxx
Old 01-07-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

get's serious at times

Originally Posted by newHampshire603 View Post

I'll be at work and just find myself forgetting things I just learned or easily forget numbers, and I'm like what the hell am I just dumb?? It has to be a connection with the alcohol, I just hope that in my soberiety, it will improve and I'll be okay!
six years here without a drink
there have been improvements in my memory
but
I still notice damage to memory that I think was caused
by long term heavy drinking and drug use - prox 40 years out there

one thing for sure
staying sober is a must for us
if we are going to do our best so as to save what we have left

yes it get's serious at times does it not

Mountainman
Old 01-07-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on the six years!
Sounds about right, seems there will always be some damage, but I guess that serves as a constant reminder to not go back to the dark side!
Thanks a bunch!
Old 01-07-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I think you may have escaped anything too severe with your alcohol consumption, I was alright. Just trying to be positive!!
Old 01-07-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Memory will improve without the constant attack on the brain
Old 01-07-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took a while for mine to improve but yeah - it came back

D
Old 01-07-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would think it would improve for sure. But the fact it won't get worse is a relief in itself.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I recently passed the 1 year sober mark and have noticed that my cognitive processes have improved. I hope my short term memory continues to improve. I drank for 25 years plus have a subdural hematoma (drunk fall) and three concussions (caused in sports) on my chart. Continuing to drink would have proven disastrous. I'm glad everyday for quitting.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This all sounds very positive!

Like2hike- I too have one concussion from falling on ice, and another from a car crash(driver was drunk..)

Can't wait to see how my brain reacts to being sober, it's only been two days but I already feel refreshed!
Old 01-08-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newHampshire603 View Post
Ever since I started drinking, I feel like my memory has been getting worse. Of course I know that alcohol kills brain cells, ughh-

But here's my question- for those of you who have quit for a substantial amount of time, do you notice an improvement in your memory?

Chris
In more recent times in neuroscience they discovered that the brain was far more rejuvinating than originally taught in the early neuroscience theories.
They call it neuroplasticity.
If you have the WILL you can train your brain to remember everything and anything. It is really up to you and it is EXACTLY THE SAME journey as working out your body to become fit and energetic, like people who have braindamage and lose the ability to walk some doctors told them they will never walk again but they had such sheer determination and WILL to conquer it they went through all the pain and yes at the end there it was, the gain.
Its a hard reality of life for some and for others they seem to love pain.
So how do it be that successful people, "winners" love pain and we avoid it?
Here is the tragic secret and the rotten corporate scum drug and sex traffickers who wanted to steal our humanity and our souls didnt want you to know - People who are not addicted to any drugs, who are totally straight, they get higher every day then we do. They eat an apple and get a bigger high than we would if we did a line of cocaine.
Can you get back to be normal like them again? God gave us natural highs and it was far better than the mess we have all drowned outselves into to but we dont know it and dont believe it.
1. KNow it is true.
2. Believe it.
3. Chase it and believe it and know it will be at the end.

The brain is like a fat person. The first few times you go for a jog you feel so bad and depressed like you want to kill yourself but something higher dragged you through it. Every step you wanted to just stop but you found something to drag you through it (for many it is that they fell in love and want to make themselves attractive to that person).
But what happens as you continue forcing yourself to go on those jogs? One day, only after about 3 weeks, you notice that you have become addicted to it. You get a massive high at the end of it. The pain is the same, but you LOVE the pain because you know at the end you are going to get this massive high that lasts for hours and through to the next day.

The enemy of yourself would have to be the Devil right? You can call him John if you want. But who is your greatest enemy? Is it yourself as the saying goes? No yourself is the one talking to you saying you want to be healthy and fit and beautiful and successful and want to stop abusing your body.That is you.

I know a great fantastic 4 hour lecture from a neuroscientist is called YOU ARE NOT YOUR BRAIN.
You can get it free if you look on the torrents like PirateBay. It is about neuroplasticity and how your brain becomes a bastard enemy of you with all the neural pathways betraying you over and over and he teaches how to use his 4 step method to conquer and reprogram your brain. Yes it hurts. But do you want to be a fat boy or a stud? That is the choice of your TRUE SELF.
It hurts only in the beginning but it is nothing compared to the pain of laying in a hospital bed with colon cancer after having been told by a doctor who looks at you like you are a typical loser, ^The 20 years of beer has come to take its prize mate. Now you are going to pay I am sorry to tell you, but you have a few months to live and say goodbye, consider yourself lucky you have time to say good bye and tie your loose ends you loser^

Call me a loser or a fool. It doesnt matter in the end I will hate myself in that last day.

Why will I hate myself? because my TRUE SELF did have a choice and he was a coward and didnt make that choice and that choice was about going through a short series of pains and mind-screws that would have been so much less painful now than watching my mother truly broken crying over my bed in the hospital and the doctor~s look of ""You weak piece of junky crap" (I can read peoples minds even if they try hide it). But although during my whole life journey I was not my brain, and my true self was wanting to be clean and beautiful and surfing and eating organic food and getting high mega from a home-made smoothie with filtered-water, and building empires, and companies, and making people happy to be around me and having chidren love and remember me for my contribution to their path in life and laying there in that last day dying thinking about how I would not go back and do it again differently. Can you imagine the pain of laying there when finally reality catches up to you and realising that the last 4 weeks of your life you went through such massive pain crapping blood and seeing the valley of death and the devil laughing at you can you imagine the pain in realising that your BRAIN to be retrained actually only needed you to be WILLFULLY focused for 4 weeks and go through the valley of death in your mind (rather than your body AND mind) and then you would have been free out of it?

We are BRAINWASHED. Its not a problem you have. Its a DECISION you need to make. And the reason you dont just make it is because you refuse to admit it. You are in denial, aka, BRAINWASHED.

You are not your own worst enemy. Understand that. YOU ARE NOT YOUR BRAIN. Your BRAIN can be your own worst enemy or your greatest asset.
YOU decide.

Ç