Notices

Had a totally **** night and no alcohol involved

Old 01-06-2014, 10:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Had a totally **** night and no alcohol involved

There's probably a few issues here in this post, but not to be too specific I'm predominantly writing about giving up the booze and it's not always fun & roses. That sometimes going out can be a bloody hard slog and one would rather have stayed at home.

Very briefly, coz I don't want to bore everyone, but on Sunday I drove 150 mile round trip to surrey, which just happens to be where my husbands niece lives; to see her daughter take part in a hideously boring pantomime show, which, I suppose I would quite unfairly describe as suitable entertainment purely for the mentally challenged.

After a 2hour journey there we weren't even offered a sandwich or anything to eat. Just about got a cup of tea, let alone any alcohol. No fear there then if you want to stay on the wagon! Lol. Got to the theatre and everyone bought themselves a sarni & cuppa tea. (I think the hostess got the message). Sat through the tortuous show, then just drove home in the pouring rain.

I think the message I'm trying to convey here is, one can have a totally crap social event even without alcohol. Life is still full of inept, rude and uncaring people whether they're relations or friends.

I think this is more a family/relationship/emotional post really, but just wanting to vent. Thanks for listening.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillyknitting View Post

I think the message I'm trying to convey here is, one can have a totally crap social event even without alcohol. Life is still full of inept, rude and uncaring people whether they're relations or friends.
the longer that we have been sober
we hardly think about it all that much
true - the world and the people in the world are not that different
just because we are not drinking today

maybe we notice it more while sober
but - then again I was pretty sensitive when I was drinking

Mountainman
Old 01-07-2014, 01:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Of course we can Lilly !

Still good to feel it all I. A total natural state , good feelings , bad feelings , good nights bad nights . Sober living is the way to live , cannot imagine going back to the sheepish world of standing with a group of people pouring poison down my throat.

Sober is so cool , the further I get the more I see it.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think Dark days has it.
Remember a bad time with drink can have consequences for so much longer than another boring rude family lock up.
Oh and I,think family resentment might also be showing itself. Let it go it's all over now and you just have to box clever next year!
Have a good 2014.
John
Old 01-07-2014, 02:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I am a tea and snacks person myself otherwise I go all moody and hypoglycemic. Glad you got home in one piece and can do what you want today xx
Old 01-07-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That sounds about as much fun as a poke in the eye with a stick. I've never seen a pantomime but they sound kinda weird :-)

But I was still kind of lol reading about it :-)
Old 01-07-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry I also laughed. I could see myself in there, taking never ending deep breaths to avoid jumping out a window.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anyone who thinks the world will be 100% positive after quitting drinking is in for a really hard time.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yipes, sounds like quite the show! Very funny stuff! We read all the inspiring posts on SR every day, where sober folks poetically wax about smelling a rose, catching a falling leaf and jumping in puddles...it's all so romantic, isn't it?

But you're right, it's not always like that. I remember getting real frustrated not long ago because sobriety hadn't made my life perfect. I was still riding the city bus, taking out my own garbage, and the gas & electric bill still came due each month. Where on earth was that pony made of skittles that I was going to fly around town? Why hadn't that bag of free money shown up at my door yet?

Sounds like the pantomime show was your "dose of reality". That's okay though, the cool part is that you got through it, and lived to fight another day. I enjoyed the story, and at least you made a few of us laugh! Maybe that's a reward in itself, eh?