Notices

AA online vs. SR

Old 01-06-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I strugled with all the jargon a bit. My humour has also beena saving grace for me and if I asserted it at meetings, it was often frowned upon. But as I say, they weren't all like that.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

What they told you is a line of bull. There are many sober people on SR and all over the world to prove it!

Glad you found us, this site has been a HUGE asset in my recovery.

What will get and keep you and any other person sober is the commitment to be sober, not drink, no matter what and have a good life on top of that! Whoo hoo

I hang out on SR because I like it, and it helps me, NOT because I am afraid to leave. No one has to twist my arm or scare me.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I attended an AA meeting and would do so again if I felt a strong urge to drink. SR has been the most helpful for me and also my own determination and self examination. I will do whatever it takes to stay sober. I won't rule anything out but I am staying sober and being very honest with myself. When I have urges I come here and read mostly, sometimes post. It is working well for me right now so I don't feel the need for meetings. If that changes, I'll be at the next one.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It really comes down to the person. AA works for a lot of people, but doesn't work for a lot of people. If AA isn't your thing you can find other ways to stay sober. The goal at the end of the day is to stay sober, any way possible.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

AA is a wonderful program...for some people. And it's true, it has saved many lives.

It's just not MY program. I think, especially in this day and age, sites like this are the future of sobriety.

While there is certainly something to be said for the face to face interaction of a meeting, the anonymity of the internet lets me express myself in a way that my local AA groups couldn't.

I know AA can be a very accepting place and it should be, but in my experience it's like a Baptist trying to improve their relationship with God at a Catholic Church. Both have the same goal, we just are on a different path to get there.

I didn't need the 12 steps (I tried), I needed to find a way to stop drinking. This is my way.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Howdy & welcome to SR
Beg to differ w/ you bout going @ it alone. Went sober for 7 mths 4 yrs ago b4 had ever heard of aa. But coz ex irritated & annoyed me, I went out & got smashed. This began off/on in aa which I agreed w/ but didn't commit to it. Result was 2 dwi's, domestic disturbances, loss of house, car;even tho my ex played role, I knew my part. But 12&12 pg22 will give you idea why this is a we program not I. Beautiful thing bout aa, is you take what you need & leave what you don't
I go here everyday but esp when miss mtgs; it's simply a bonus to me
Old 01-06-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Hi jaylaa
Undstd where you're coming from coz my very 1st aa mtg was mostly folks w/ lot of yrs. but sister group a mile down is what I made my home group has mostly newbies. Big bk & step study, I prefer the former while others latter. Ask what other aa rooms are around you coz this program saved my life & love it
Old 01-07-2014, 12:07 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

When AA was set up it was designed for the hard core drinkers of the time. It is now used for every type of drinker under the sun, even the very moderate type. How can this fact not give birth to its own set of problems? Just curious how the AA people feel about this, is it a good or bad thing or does it not even matter in the whole scheme of things?