Notices

Don't know where to start

Old 01-04-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I don't what to say ynmamflm other than your honesty is sad but brutal and honest.

I don't want to be browbeaten. I just want to solve a problem. And thank you all.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
zjw

my Stepdad past away 4 years ago from it. It absolutely consumed him. He never would take that step to GO get help at a treatment center.
I never really realized just how deadly it can be till i started to sober up. It is a terrible viscous cycle that has to be broken. People do go all there lives never breaking it. failing there children friends parents etc... Its like the final let down no pun intended.

Once the cycle is broken. once the daily routine of consumption gets interupted and you can muster up enough strength in you to keep it interrupted till that becomes your new routine. Then you start to get a bit of control over this beast and your able to more easily say No I'm not doing that. I'm not screwing myself like that i've had too many nice sober days i've worked too hard i've come to far I'm not gonna F it up now.

then you no longer have to worry about being the guy who let everyone down with the finaly let down etc..

I know one person specificly whos parent passed on from this sort of stuff. I'm sure he feels rather cheated. Sure woulda been nice to see his mother beat it and still be here but that was not in the cards.

The one thing though about people who have passed from this terrible disease is in there passing there able to help send the rest of us a rather strong message of the importance of quiting etc.. so its not a total loss by any means.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

detox for 6 days. Made me comfortable and eased withdrawals, then the work began.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
zjw

I don't want to be browbeaten. I just want to solve a problem.
your in a good place a lot of folks in our boat like to pull out the club and beat ourselves to death about our failures. Beating myself up always just led to justifying another drink.

it is simply just a problem that needs to be resolved I'd say dont over complicate it much more then that. The decision to not drink is pretty stinken simple you just dont. its actually a lot more difficult to drink you gotta like go tot he store and get it and open it and pay for it smell it not over drink etc... so much involved with drinking.

Not drinking however is really simple. you just dont drink.

We just overcomplicate the HECK out of it in our heads.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Z,
Guy I have no clue who you are but when you said, "and beat ourselves to death about our failures. Beating myself up always just led to justifying another drink."

That is all ten fingers pointing at myself. You nailed it. I just am worried about the stroke, seizure stuff. It is not an excuse, as AA would say. My wife who I love is about to leave me over this. I just want the problem solved and it is not always as simple as don't drink. That can lead to a stroke...yadda yadda whatever stuff. But I KNOW I HAVE TO AND WANT TO.

Basically it is find a Dr. that will not browbeat you.
Get on some bezos to help with the shakes and anxiety
Go to the detox so you don't have a heart attack
Then don't drink again.

Is that the formula?
Old 01-04-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

That's a good start jokerman!!!

I'm glad you want this and if you seek medical help with this it should ease some of your anxiety about it and help you get the ball rolling!
In my opinion, It's always smart to seek medical help when detoxing...

Once detoxed there is a world of help out there to tackle the recovery part. Here at SR is one of them!
Old 01-04-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
zjw

Thats the tricky thing. putting the club down and not beating yourself up about your failures etc.. Its just not worth it. Lifes too short. we all got mistakes and screw ups no biggie.

My wife let on after the fact that she was strongly considering leaving etc.. I was like holy smokes are you kidding me!>! you know honestly her leaving me would not have motivated me to quit. NOTHING was getting in between me and my beer. Even now that voice in my head will say F her i can drink if i wanna i dont care if she leaves i'll just get a case of beer. Real nice huh? but the nature of this disease thats just how it is.

Thats why no one can rescue us from ourselves but ourselves with this addiction. You always hear others who dont understand thinking they can do this or do that and get the addict to stop then they are baffled that nothing they can say or do will get through to us. Its just how it is.

The desire to quit has to come from us we have to do the work etc.. no one else can really do much about it really aside from be supportive. In my case if i was pushed it just made me wanna drink all the more.

Benzo's are sorta just standard protocol to help with he withdrawels. You might be able to win the anxiety battle I did many people do. But the seizures and stuff those are kinda out of your control. If you detox at home and something starts to go south like that you'll be making a trip to the ER etc..

I've never done detox at a facility or something but its essentially a safe place to be in case things go to hell they got people there equiped to help ya etc.. The nasty stuff from with drawels is no longer a thread after a handful of days. Others might be able to chime in on the specific number on that.

I'm off to bed now you can PM me if you like I'll check back in tommorrow etc..
Old 01-04-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm pretty sure the people at AA know you are drinking. That's the alcohol talking. I see it all the time, people think no one knows, but you can smell it and see it in their eyes, face, skin. zjw is right - ANYTHING is going to annoy you. I still get that way and I'm 4 months without alcohol, sometimes, out of the blue I just want to rip something or someone. The first 60 days were bad, I won't lie. My dr prescribed sleeping/antidepressants. The further out I've gotten, the better it gets - so glad I don't have to go through it again if I don't pick up a drink today.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Great point, but how do I do this and do it safely? And the "talk to a Dr." or go to "AA" thing is a cop out.

Yes I will talk to my Doc., but what do I tell him?

What meds or tips or tricks can I use to help with the shakes, sweats, anxiety etc.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Cop out?

There's no script to go by Jokerman - telling your Dr what you've told us here is the best way to go

just be honest about how much you've been drinking, the problems you've been having, and your desire to quit and detox safely.

I don't know of any tips or tricks for sweating...that's pretty much a given for a few days...as for meds and anxiety - talk to your Dr - he may prescribe meds to help with either withdrawal or anxiety, or both...or he may not, based on his clinical assessment of you

AA or similar groups can help you with support after you quit, but a Dr is the best place for detox advice

D
Old 01-04-2014, 11:17 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jokerman73 View Post
Great point, but how do I do this and do it safely? And the "talk to a Dr." or go to "AA" thing is a cop out.

Yes I will talk to my Doc., but what do I tell him?

What meds or tips or tricks can I use to help with the shakes, sweats, anxiety etc.
Tell the Dr the truth. You want to stop drinking and need medical help to do so. Tell him EVERYTHING you drank and how much/often. If you used other substances - legal or otherwise - tell him that too. Complete honesty. If you used illegal drugs, don't worry, the Dr cannot turn you in to the police, just tell him.

The Dr will check your vitals, draw blood, and based on that give you prescriptions so you can detox safely. As mentioned multiple times this will almost certainly include a benzo, which doubles as an anti-seizure and anti-anxiety med. In my case they added high BP meds as my BP was ridiculously high, which could lead to stroke. If your vitals are serious enough. the Dr will make arrangements for a hospital detox. Your chances of serious life threatening issues will be next to zero in a supervised detox, and it'll be way more comfortable.

And after you detox, give AA a try.

NOTHING about this is cop out. Most all of us have been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Please treat the advice in this thread literally.

Please keep us posted on what you do.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Detox Complete

I have my final check up with the Dr. tomorrow. The first couple of days were rough, but I got through it. I have not gone this many days without a drink in probably 15 years.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations jokerman

D