SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Antabuse (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/318398-antabuse.html)

KateL 01-03-2014 10:00 PM

Antabuse

I am an old timer and have heard of this treatment vaguely. My take on this is that you must be really commited to take this mecidation, otheriwse the consequences are horrific. Is it wise to go to these exteremes when you cannot trust yourself and face this torture? Am I alone in thinking it is a tad barbaric?

suki44883 01-03-2014 10:10 PM

Well, I guess it's as effective as any other treatment. They all depend on the commitment of the addict. Rehab or antabuse will only work if the addict is truly desirous of quitting.

I've always thought that a person could just stop taking the antabuse if they are determined to drink. However, from what I understand, it can take up to 48 hours for the antabuse to clear out of your system. So, maybe during that time frame, the addict will decide to not drink after all. Cravings usually only last a few minutes.

Sanantoniosober 01-03-2014 10:13 PM

My understanding of it is it prevents the body from properly processing the alcohol, resulting in immediate (within a couple of hours) severe hangover symptoms, and the pill can last put to a week. I've never taken it, but people I know who have say that drinking while taking it can make you violently ill. They say it also reacts poorly with highly acidic foods like tomatoes.

The only cases I've heard of people taking it were those who were court ordered after multiple DWIs. I don't know anyone who has taken it voluntarily.

It does sound barbaric, however, in the cases I know of, it was a choice between that or jail.

KateL 01-03-2014 10:34 PM

Goodness, it sounds awful, but I guess if it works for some it works.

Mountainmanbob 01-03-2014 10:36 PM

a lot of treatment centers used to on release recommend taking Antabuse for a while
for most all it makes drinking one heck of a sick bummer
a friend years ago at work drank one beer while on it
he turned red and passed out while walking and smashed his face
some who have tried many other things and failed turn to Antabuse as a last resort
MB

diffingo911 01-03-2014 10:50 PM

Never mind...wrong window...:headbange

TigerLili 01-03-2014 10:59 PM

It's a type of aversion therapy. I have a friend who used to take it. If he drank whilst on it, his skin would turn bright red, like a tomato. I was quite shocked the first time I saw it.

seahorse661 01-03-2014 11:05 PM

I used it for a while after rehab. Yes, its as effective as your commitment to taking it. There can be traces in your system for up to 2 weeks. I found it helpful if I was in a situation where others were drinking (work function) and I knew there was no way I was able to consider a drink, which I may have otherwise.

Some people I know have used it in situations like that for years. The psychiatrist at the rehab gave me a 6 month prescription and recommended daily use for a year. From what I know its commonly used in S.A.

Its definitely not a solution, though. It may force abstinence but you still need to deal with the psychology of your drinking

Mags1 01-03-2014 11:08 PM

I remember a few years ago I wanted to take some drug to stop me drinking but could only get on prescription and I didn't want to speak to the doc about it.

I did get herbal remedies and try the tapping technique but nothing helped me still that time, I must have not been determined enough.

I woke up this morning really frustrated and wanting a drink, I got dressed went to tesco at 5.00 am and shopped. I didn't buy booze but really had a craving, same last night, too. I just stuffed my face with cake! Lol x

KateL 01-04-2014 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mags1 (Post 4386497)
I remember a few years ago I wanted to take some drug to stop me drinking but could only get on prescription and I didn't want to speak to the doc about it.

I did get herbal remedies and try the tapping technique but nothing helped me still that time, I must have not been determined enough.

I woke up this morning really frustrated and wanting a drink, I got dressed went to tesco at 5.00 am and shopped. I didn't buy booze but really had a craving, same last night, too. I just stuffed my face with cake! Lol x

Lol. Do they sell booze at that time, out of curiosity? xxx

Mags1 01-04-2014 04:21 AM

Yep, all night, now except Saturday they close at 10 pm bug petrol station up the road sells booze all night

sugarbear1 01-04-2014 04:44 AM

I have a female friend who asked her doctor for this and is still on it. She's had sober time (up to 10 years once), but who keeps turning back to alcohol.....

She's now been sober for over 2 months now!

Nevertheless 01-04-2014 07:46 AM

I had to take it back in the 80's as part of my probation over a Drunk Driving offense. I drank on it once (I had to make sure it worked). Work,it did. I thought I was going to die. I only drank one beer. In reality,I probably almost did die. One thing for sure. I didn't drink on it again. I started drinking again not long after I quit taking it. I didn't feel right for months whenever I drank. I can still remember the taste.
I don't really think it's barbaric. If someone wants to break an addiction it will get the job done. But it is in no way a long term solution.
Most of my drinking career I wanted to quit . But I think most of us that want to quit understand. While I wanted to quit,I also wanted to drink. The (I wanted to drink) side won for many years after that.

Fred

Mountainmanbob 01-04-2014 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Nevertheless (Post 4387166)
I don't really think it's barbaric. If someone wants to break an addiction it will get the job done. But it is in no way a long term solution.

I agree far from barbaric
Antabuse has helped thousands over the years to stay sober
but, long term use is hard on the body (especially liver, kidneys)

MB

someonelikeyou0 01-04-2014 09:16 AM

I actually asked 2 different doctors for it. I wanted help so bad. Neither would prescribe it because it can apparently cause a lot of problems with the stomach.

rshankv 01-04-2014 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by KateL (Post 4386428)
I am an old timer and have heard of this treatment vaguely. My take on this is that you must be really commited to take this mecidation, otheriwse the consequences are horrific. Is it wise to go to these exteremes when you cannot trust yourself and face this torture? Am I alone in thinking it is a tad barbaric?

Hi KateL
Thanks for bringing in this topic.
I am new to this forum and have been reading all the post over the last couple of months
A little bit of background about me:
I am male 36 years old, just over 6 feet and in good shape and have a very good job,I am planning to quit/moderate alcohol intake for only weekends, currently i am almost drinking every day like 200 ml of Whisky and some times i top it with 24 oz beer, and have been drinking consistently like this for the last 5 years, and this has indeed created some damage on my liver and kidneys, which i can feel.

I workout at the GYm to overcome my habits and this has helped in the past big time, if i sweat it out in the GYm on weights and then i will get a high within 2-3 pegs of whisky and if i want to avoid even that then i take half dose of sleeping pill which will put me to sleep without any alcohol.

I am planning to take Antabuse, so atleast for the fear of the reactions then i might not drink.

I have not attended any AA meetings,nor had a counseling so far.

I want to try with ANtabuse as the first option.

If any one has used Antabuse as the first option please share your thoughts.

Thanks
Rshankv

safe2breathe 01-04-2014 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by KateL (Post 4386428)

sometimes (at least in the states) it is forced on you buy the courts.

someonelikeyou0 01-04-2014 09:48 AM

Rshankv, your doctor knows best. But from what I counted. You're only drinking 4-5 drinks a day. I don't see why that requires Antabuse but if he says so, go for it.

rshankv 01-04-2014 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by someonelikeyou0 (Post 4387384)
Rshankv, your doctor knows best. But from what I counted. You're only drinking 4-5 drinks a day. I don't see why that requires Antabuse but if he says so, go for it.

Thanks for the reply someonelikeyou0.:tyou

I know i have to visit the doc but i am scared, last time i visited him 3 years back he said that my liver is turning into a fatty liver :(

the 4-5 drinks per day is what i take regularly, but during some period of time,say 4 months in a year for over 5 years, i used to have 6-7 pegs a day continuously and then again fall back for 4-5 drinks per night.

And when i was in college like say when i was 18 years to 25 i used to drink in weekend and from 25 years till 30 i used drink 3 times a week which is like 4 drinks night, and this became an issue when i turned 30 thats when i started drinking 4-5 drinks every day :(

Sorry if i had not stated the above fact in an earlier post

KateL 01-04-2014 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by safe2breathe (Post 4387379)
sometimes (at least in the states) it is forced on you buy the courts.

Blimey!!!