Notices

Antabuse

Old 01-04-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am glad that it helps some people but I am truly grateful I did not have to resort to that. That sounds dreadful
Old 01-04-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Grateful

Originally Posted by safe2breathe View Post
sometimes (at least in the states) it is forced on you buy the courts.

Forced is such a strong word.

I think the courts often give a person the option of antabuse and/or mandatory treatment...OR...jail. I actually know a person that goes to one of my AA meetings who chose jail over treatment. He found AA while in jail and he is still sober today.

But yeah, I don't think jail would be an option for me if I could take antabuse and/or treatment instead.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was prescribed it and have never touched it. Haven't really needed to as of yet but I find comfort in the knowledge that if I really need a deterrent to drink I can have one and it should be enough to put me off . I'm a big of a wuss though and worry about it interacting with deoderant or cologne which contains small amounts of alcohol or food or other drinks which may contain trace amounts of alcohol... It does seem rather barbaric though doesn't it? I know George Best had the antabuse pellets sown in to his stomach after his liver transplant to stop him drinking. Unfortunately for Bestie, his urges were far too strong and he drank on them anyway...
Old 02-15-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am taking Antabuse voluntarily - no legal problems or anything like that. Am taking a half-dose of 250 mg, and I am frankly relieved to be out and about knowing that I simply can't drink. I lost 5 lbs (needed) the first week and am already more clear and productive. Everyone's different, but for my kind of drinking, it's just the thing. I'm also relieved to discover I don't crave alcohol, it was more the social situation and a certain lack of mindfulness when people were pouring/ordering drinks. I'm using this time to develop and teach myself new, healthier habits.

I did have a few sips of wine the first day, about 12 hours after taking it. I turned bright red. Can only imagine exploding or something if I'd continued. Glad I did that, because now I know it's for real. Not interested in getting sick. Many of my toiletries contain alcohol and that's not been an issue at all, although this is just my experience and I imagine everyone's different. All I know is that I feel SO good just passing by all the beach bars on my evening walk without temptation. Went in once and had a club soda with friends; about then I realized several others there were having iced tea or soda too.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Antabus has a rather strange story. The chemical was used in the production with natural rubber, and people working at these plants got sick when drinking small amounts of alcohol, some doctors noticed this but it was years later it was made to medicine. And they were in reality trying to create medicine against worms. They tested the medicine on them selves and noticed that they could not drink even small amounts of alcohol while on the medicine.

They found that to be a useful side effect and sold the chemical medicine against drinking.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I'm glad I didn't have to resort to it.
I'd be curious as to success rate of using it though
Old 02-15-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I took it voluntarily and know a lot of people who have done the same. It only works if you are scared if the effects that will happen if you drink on it, I was and stayed on Antabuse for 5 months. I have known people who have started on Antabuse and are still sober today. I also know people who took it and drank and were horribly ill.

It is what it is!
Old 02-15-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Ewwwww. Interesting about the tyre thing though xxxx
Old 02-15-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Took it daily when I was about 30 yrs old 20 years ago. Stopped taking it for a few days planning a drink. Took the drink. I was so sick I thought I was actually dying. Heart was pounding out of my chest. Skin was so red and tight. My eyes balls completely blood shot, sick to my stomach. Have never been so sick in my life.

I don't think antabuse is a cure for alcoholism and if you want to drink you'll just stop taking it period like I did.

I had to get into recovery through a 12 step program and once I did after failing miserable for 20 years I worked the steps with a sponsor and the obsession was lifted.

Warning!!!!! Be careful with this stuff!
Old 02-23-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I decided not to take it. I started taking it with Campral and I got severe issues. I had crazy dizziness, blood pressure spikes, sweating, and more. It sent me to the ER, where I had to have a bunch of tests done and had to stay in the hospital for a couple days. This was not withdrawal according to the doctors.

Not to mention, while your taking Antabuse, you can't even use lotion with alcohol in it. You have to test a very small amount on your skin first. Scary.

Campral worked well though, but it doesn't work during the habitual times. (like 5:00 on my way home, I still crave alcohol) But it worked very well during the day. I didn't really think about booze.