Notices

Naltrexone

Old 01-03-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Naltrexone

At detox the doctor prescribed me Naltrexone. I've done some research on it, but it's suppose to reduce cravings and overall desire to drink.

Has any taken it?
Old 01-03-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't taken it myself but others have - there's even a recent thread here
Old 01-03-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I take it! I have been sober for over a year. My doctor is not trying to rush me to get off of it either.

I use it with AA and working the steps with my sponsor.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
I take it! I have been sober for over a year. My doctor is not trying to rush me to get off of it either.

I use it with AA and working the steps with my sponsor.
What differences did you notice once you started taking it? Any side effects?
Old 01-03-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been on it since October 31st and I have not suffered any side effects. However, I did drink on it one time and it didn't give me the buzz I was used to so I consumed more...and ended up getting sick.
Be careful because this is a "high" blocker, so if you won't feel the effect of alcohol or worse yet opiates and you could over-dose. Most like anything else it isn't a cure, but just a tool to help you overcome this disease. Keep us posted!!
Old 01-03-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinkShooter View Post
I have been on it since October 31st and I have not suffered any side effects. However, I did drink on it one time and it didn't give me the buzz I was used to so I consumed more...and ended up getting sick.
Be careful because this is a "high" blocker, so if you won't feel the effect of alcohol or worse yet opiates and you could over-dose. Most like anything else it isn't a cure, but just a tool to help you overcome this disease. Keep us posted!!
Thanks
Old 01-03-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The DR told me since it's an opiate blocker if you get hurt (she said break your arm as an example), I couldn't take any opiates for pain. I'm not too worried about that, but I guess you never know if you're gonna get hurt.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I took it the first two months I was sober . It does help reduce cravings but it's not a miracle drug or anything that eliminates them . Still there were no noticeable side effects for me and it really helped
Old 01-03-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhaseTwo View Post
I took it the first two months I was sober . It does help reduce cravings but it's not a miracle drug or anything that eliminates them . Still there were no noticeable side effects for me and it really helped
I'm considering trying it, but it's 80+ bucks a month, so I might not unless I think it will actually help me stay sober. I'm not looking for a miracle fix, but anything that can actually help would be useful at this point.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have taken it in the past in conjuncton with Campral. It definitely helped reduce the cravings. I would recommend it in early sobriety. I think it's definitely worth a try.

I didn't notice any side effects.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
I have taken it in the past in conjuncton with Campral. It definitely helped reduce the cravings. I would recommend it in early sobriety. I think it's definitely worth a try.

I didn't notice any side effects.
It's something I'm considering trying.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

For what it's worth, a lot of people get sober without any drugs at all too. Obviously ask your doc, but I did and mentioned I wanted to do it without takjng anything and I made its through.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
For what it's worth, a lot of people get sober without any drugs at all too. Obviously ask your doc, but I did and mentioned I wanted to do it without takjng anything and I made its through.
I really don't expect any drugs to help me get through this. I was just prescribed it and wanted some feedback. I honestly don't think taking a pill everyday would really be a miracle treatment, but it might help to some degree. As I said the price probably will be an issue unless I really think I need extra help. AA is something I'm considering first.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was on it for over a year. I relapsed during that time. I don't undestand what PinkShooter experienced: naltrexone is an opiate blocker, it does not block alcohol. I drank on it for three months.

That having been said, it *definitely* supported my sobriety once I decided to get sober again. I had to go off of it recently because I have pain that wasn't being adequately controlled with non-opiates alone and I absolutely notice the difference.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by lizak View Post
I was on it for over a year. I relapsed during that time. I don't undestand what PinkShooter experienced: naltrexone is an opiate blocker, it does not block alcohol. I drank on it for three months.

That having been said, it *definitely* supported my sobriety once I decided to get sober again. I had to go off of it recently because I have pain that wasn't being adequately controlled with non-opiates alone and I absolutely notice the difference.
The best guess is that it affects the release of dopamine, which is implicated in the pleasure that drinkers feel.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I started a recovery program in Nov. Made it 3 weeks and then a major relapse. Been taking it daily for 3 weeks after my counselor and dr's suggestion. It definitely helps with minimizing the cravings and I believe very helpful as part of an overall program. Used alone it will not 'cure' you but it can be effective is supplemented with a plan and a desire to stop.....so far in my case anyway. My goal is to maybe use for 3 months and then try to stop taking after I'm further along with my recovery. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
The best guess is that it affects the release of dopamine, which is implicated in the pleasure that drinkers feel.
That's how I understand it. Doc wants me to get some more blood work just to makes sure my liver's not exploding heh*, but probably gonna get a script for it myself in a week or so. I'll certainly keep an eye on this thread and update w/ any further info.

*srsly, it should be fine
Old 01-04-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RustyLugnut View Post
That's how I understand it. Doc wants me to get some more blood work just to makes sure my liver's not exploding heh*, but probably gonna get a script for it myself in a week or so. I'll certainly keep an eye on this thread and update w/ any further info.

*srsly, it should be fine
Yeah update the thread, thanks. Price is the main reason I'm considering against it, but if I really think it will help I'll reconsider.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Exclamation

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
"The best Guess??" Naltrexone Is not a "mechanism Unknown" drug.

We are not allowed to give medical advice on this forum, and you do not just give medical advice, but INCORRECT medical advice EndGameNYC.

I have got into trouble with mods for correcting incorrect medical advice before EndGameNYC, but I will intervene again at seeing this post.

What you have said is not only incorrect, but downright dangerous if taken as gospel EndGameNYC.

References (from Google):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naltrexone‎
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...41.html‎
naltrexone oral : Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD

Last edited by nf1983; 01-04-2014 at 07:11 PM. Reason: This thread should not be here
Old 01-04-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Red face

Originally Posted by nf1983 View Post
"The best Guess??" Naltrexone Is not a "mechanism Unknown" drug.

We are not allowed to give medical advice on this forum, and you do not just give medical advice, but INCORRECT medical advice EndGameNYC.

I have got into trouble with mods for correcting incorrect medical advice before EndGameNYC, but I will intervene again at seeing this post.

What you have said is not only incorrect, but downright dangerous if taken as gospel EndGameNYC.

References (from Google):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naltrexone‎
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...41.html‎
naltrexone oral : Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD
From the wiki article you referenced: "Naltrexone's mechanism of action in alcohol dependence is not fully understood, but as an opioid-receptor antagonist is likely to be due to the modulation of the dopaminergic mesolimbic pathway (one of the primary centers for risk-reward analysis in the brain, and a tertiary "pleasure center") which is hypothesized to be a major center of the reward associated with addiction that all major drugs of abuse are believed to activate."

(empahsis mine, and yes, I know, I know, wikipedia, etc, etc)

I was speaking with my PCP today about it and she was not to familiar with the drug, was actually doing some research on her laptop while she was in the room with me, and did note a couple of times that there are certainly some unknowns with Naltrexone.

I certainly agree that we shouldn't be giving medical advice as if we were trained medical professionals -- though my reading EndGame's post was not advice, just that there are unknowns still with this drug.