Notices

Sick, Scared, Angry

Old 01-03-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sick, Scared, Angry

I'm a mess. Yesterday evening I received a preliminary diagnosis of Lupus. For the last 3 years I thought I had RA, and treated it purely with an anti inflamatory diet. I thought the culmination of diet and sobriety had cured me. I had become quite smug thinking I have beaten both alcoholism and RA!

And then just about 6 weeks ago I was hit from behind with the worse flare up to date. I won't go into details on symptoms but some days are rough. Last night I found out whatever autoimmune disease I have has damaged my kidneys. It's not ******* fair!!!

The dr told me I need to drastically reduce my stress and I should go home and have a bottle of wine. I just laughed because the alternative reaction would have been a full blown breakdown in my ill fitting pink paper gown.

Right now I just feel like what's the point! I'm about to start the dreaded prednisone and know I'm going to get heavy from this. Gaining weight is a huge trigger for me. I don't have the greatest support system, and upon returning last night was greeted with the attitude what's the big deal, and what's for dinner?

I know lupus isn't the end of the world and I know there are far greater illnesses! I guess I'm just in shock!

Sure miss my old friend Pinot, she'd always be there to help me run away.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ImperfectlyMe - yes, indeed You need Much More Support than ..."what's the big deal, and what's for dinner? " ????? I really don't know WHAT to say, except a Cyber-HUG...

AL
xxxxxx
Old 01-03-2014, 03:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Hmmm, sounds like you aren't receiving too much support at home, Boy, do I know that feeling. I am sorry about your health news. Weight gain is a bummer, but can't you perhaps do some working out to counteract this? I have all kinds of contraptions in my house.(I'm not really familiar with your condition.) Be strong. By the way, is your doctor mad? Surely he can prescribe something for your stress other than a bottle of wine. I wish you well xxxxxx
Old 01-03-2014, 03:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bad health news is never great - but give yourself a little time to get used to it IM.
I can guarantee it's never as bad as we fear - attitude is everything

D
Old 01-03-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey ImperfectlyMe, Lupus is a hard one to diagnose, is it worth getting a second opinion.

I ask because I am have been diagnosed with RA and treat it with a anti inflammatory diet as well. Sugar is highly inflammatory, so getting of the alcohol is great for us. Flair ups can still happen.

I understand the shock, take some time. Dont give up on your anti inflammatory diet, eat clean, it makes a world of difference.

A friend of mine, 12 years younger than me also has RA, intelligent guy, dux of his school, owns a successful small engineering company disputed the diet factor and continues to eat & drink what he likes. He is not a big drinker but when it comes to coke and junk food he loves the stuff. He is on full blown meds along with steroid injections to get him out of bed some days.

Take care of your self.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can relate to the shock of a not so good health diagnosis. happened to me when diagnosed stage 3 metastatic melanoma.
what helped me is getting the support from people that had been through it.
it may help you to search for some lupus support groups online.
like alcoholism, support comes from people that had been there.

prayers are out for strength and courage for ya!
Old 01-03-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am sorry. You have been my North star with your inspiration. You and I both know that drinking will only make things worse and you know your so over that too. The problem is you have such a lousy support system at home - it seems to be the root of all your stress. I second the seeking out others with Lupus - you might find its not as bad as you think. I find with most diagnosis' that the initial reaction in our heads is so much worse than it turns out to be - as Dee stated.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

So sorry to hear this news, ImperfectlyMe. You know, you're strong enough to keep making the right choices, keep moving in the right direction, stay on the right journey. Bad news is never an easy thing, of course. As we learn to deal with it, things begin to come into better focus. You've already proved your true strength by sharing. Good for YOU!!

Plenty of great wisdom in this thread from lot's of us who have in our own ways been on the receiving end of bad news. Together we're all stronger!
Old 01-03-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your diagnosis. I can't say I relate in anyway but you said it yourself- you beat alcoholism. You can tackle this challenge as well.

Weight gain totally sucks. Being in pain sucks so much more though. You will find a balance.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

********{imperfectlyme}}}}}

http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/ar...p/t-81888.html

XO AO
Old 01-03-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hugs. Sorry about this news.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You should take a bottle of wine and hit your doctor in the head with it...what kind of quack tells someone to drink a bottle of wine??? I might get a new Dr. first. Sounds like he is not going to be that supportive either!

Secondly, as a healthcare professional, Lupus is a significant disease, HOWEVER, the symptoms can be treated and the disease managed successfully. I agree with one of the above statements, find a support group online and find out as much as you can about the disease. I think you might feel better that way!
Old 01-03-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear this IM! I agree with the above posters that a support group would help, just like it does for alcoholism.

Sending hugs and prayers your way
Old 01-03-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well you're strong so I have every confidence you'll be able to deal with this. Don't let your old friend Pinot try to seduce you back....you know how that movie ends and it's not a pleasant ending. Stay strong
Old 01-03-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just a little FYI the Dr. Was speaking in jest He didn't really want me to drink a bottle of wine he was just saying I need to chill out a bit

Thanks all for your support I means a tremendous amount to me! I'm going to educate myself and do my best to stay positive and thankful for what I have. Not going to drink over it, plus I don't think my kidneys would appreciate that .

I sure hope the lupus forums are a awesome as SR now to come up with a screen name fir them... LoopyLupus.. Got a ring to it.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

((((ImperfectlyMe))) Just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you today. Stay strong my friend!
Old 01-03-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sending you a huge hug. Don't dump your healthy lifestyle - it will still help you! Keep posting. Xoxo
Old 01-03-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi, Imp. I just read this now. I am so sorry! It is so aggravating when we work so hard on changing our health habits and then get dumped with bad news. In the beginning of sobriety, when I would get as much as a cold, I would be so disgruntled because my health and weight were a big motivator for me to quit drinking and to change my eating habits. I was angry at my body for the "f u" when I was finally doing it some good.

One of my best friends essentially has been diagnosed with all of the autoimmune disorders including lupus. She is also one of my skinniest, most attractive friends. She has her bad days, but for the most part her diet and drug regimen (that seems to be monitored and changed often) keeps her up and running with her beautiful family.

I am thinking of you and praying for you!
Old 01-03-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thinking of you, ImperfectlyMe and sending big hugs x
Old 01-03-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

ImperfectlyMe, I'm sorry to hear this. Thinking of you.