Notices

Do you alcoholism is really a diesease?

Old 01-02-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

We all come to the same place by different roads, I guess. I do believe some people are more prone to addiction than others. I believe that addiction can come from a combination of nature/nurture, for sure. I think you can become an alcoholic via behavior alone or, you can add the predisposition for addiction to that also. BUT, you can't have it without the behavior. I can't think of any other diseases that you can halt through behavior alone (but, this is where the allergy theory comes in)... For that reason, I say no- it's not a "disease". BUT- does it really matter in the end?? I'm trying to understand what possible point it would drive home in either case... Maybe it's over my head!

All I know is I am an alcoholic, therefore I can't drink. I can't think of anything that matters more than that.

(BTW I've seen a lot of threads like this in the past. But, this is the first time I noticed someone pointing out that AA doesn't view alcoholism as a disease. I didn't know that! Interesting the things we take for granted.)
Old 01-02-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Whatever it is, it can be managed by not picking up that first drink. At least that is how I do it.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

As a couple of posters have said (haven't quoted due to post length), people can end up drinking Alcoholically for so many reasons that Alcoholism itself can't be neatly defined.

If something can't be defined, it can't be categorised either. So now I'm with Boleo's post that there can never be a 'correct' answer.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

One way or the other I can't drink.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
waking down

This echoes what others have said, but if a person is not at ease due to their alcohol abuse, it is a dis-ease.

Also, the fact that one can build a tolerance to the point of having life-threatening withdrawal symptoms suggests it is a disease. Genetics play a part, too.

I question the motivation behind the question itself: Why ask whether or not it is a disease? I've heard some who seem to use it as an excuse, but it's not the same as, for example, not being able to go to work in the morning due to cancer.

It's not helpful for an alcoholic to relinquish responsibility simply because it qualifies as a disease.

I view obesity similarly. Is obesity a disease? Is it a choice? Is it both?

Regardless, it may not be easy, but both obesity and alcoholism require the sufferer to take action and make choices regarding their consumption.

Sufferer. The word is telling. If one suffers from alcoholism or obesity then it is a dis-ease.

Consider the DSM: When is a mental disorder an illness or a disease? What part of any mental disorder is physical and what part is mental? Can we really separate the two? Mental illnesses can be viewed as dis-eases whether they have a biological root cause or not. And environment or experience effects us physiologically.

It's a matter of definition. I'm working on my mental health, and alcoholism is related to my mental health, as is managing chronic pain. My environment is also a factor - feeling trapped in unsatisfying work while having to sustain a living, for example. I am dis-eased both physically and mentally, but there is much I can do about it.

I have choices: booze or sobriety, painkillers or yoga, walking or fretting, meditation or breaking glass...
Old 01-03-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

English in not my first language, not even my second – so I needed to look up what the difference between illness and disease is.

What is illness?
An illness refers to the human response to disease. Let's say a patient has diabetes. What is the human response to having diabetes? Mentally, a newly diagnosed diabetes patient may experience denial. This denial can include refusing to monitor glucose levels or change dietary habits. Physically, a diabetes patient may experience abnormal blood glucose levels resulting in hyper/hypoglycemia. In 1972, Dr Anthony Suchman defined what we know today as the four stages illness:
-Experiencing signs and symptoms
-Assuming the sick role, or validating the sickness
-Seeking medical care
-Assuming dependent role while recovering
What is Disease?
A disease is an alteration of the mental and/or physical structure of the human body or mind. Diseases can have numerous causes: biological (like viruses), chemical (like drugs or heavy metals), genetics, physical agents (like temperature extremes), and alterations in immunity or metabolism (like allergies or hormonal disturbances.) With disease comes specific signs and symptoms that manifest themselves, allowing physicians/medical experts to diagnose their patients.

In that understanding alcoholism is booth.

This is a wonderful subject it can be discussed endlessly without we ever reach a conclusion.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

There are many views about the disease concept but I think we can all agree with the original tittle:
Do you alcoholism is really a diesease?
Yes it is definitely a die sease: Alcohol kills