Notices

Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year everyone! I have a New Years resolution. I hope I didn't compromise anybodies sobriety in the past with my posts. That wasn't my intention. I do feel bad if that was at all the case. Thank you Dee for being

patient with me. i don't agree with the main recovery method that is used in my country but I have found my own style of recovery so i don't feel i need their support support. I hardly think I'm going to change anything anyway.

on a side note..can you get a hangover from eating to much sugar? phew..i woke up feeling it but must of ate about 20 cookies!
Old 01-01-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LDT

Absolutely you can have a sugar hangover, caboblanco. Unfortunately, I've had several. For me, sugar is poison.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Happy new year cabo, and everyone else. I've also stayed sober using my "own" program. I've learned to keep my big mouth shut regarding "certain" programs to each there own!
Old 01-01-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
Absolutely you can have a sugar hangover, caboblanco. Unfortunately, I've had several. For me, sugar is poison.
do you mean mean diabetes LDT? I really hope that's not the case. My glucose was fine a few months ago and I'm only a little overweight.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
i don't agree with the main recovery method that is used in my country but I have found my own style of recovery...
Happy New Year. Share what worked for you. Helping newcomers with getting and staying sober is a wonderful thing. I am glad to see the passion to recover on this board, no matter how it's done.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
LDT

Oh I'm sorry for the confusion, Cabo ....I don't have diabetes and I'm not overweight.....But I have real problems with arthritis, which is seriously aggravated by sugar consumption. That's why I said it's poison for me. If I eat sugar, my body lets me know it in no time. It's no wonder I use to hurt all the time when I was drinking. Alcohol is full of sugar.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I can feel "sugar" hit me the way I used to feel a drink "hit" me...I mean it's not the same exact feeling, but it's that real, noticable and intense. It's seemed to increase with age (and also because I don't do hard hits of sugar often like I used to). And yup. I get hangovers and drinking LOTS of water helps.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Cabo, you are FANTASTIC.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
quat

Happy new Year to all of us ,everyone

I too will try and just keep my tongue in pain, with all the biting and all

sincere best wishes to all
Old 01-01-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Maybe you could share with us how you are staying sober. Focusing on what works instead of what doesn't may help everyone. We can all learn from each other That's the goal, right? To help each other out? I know I've learned a lot from people who use different programs from me. And if what someone says doesn't work for me, that's ok too. I don't have to take everyone's advice or argue with them.

No ill will here. Everyone has value, and if you're sober, I can learn from you.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Happy New Year to you too.
Isn't it cool that we all woke up sober and are not killing ourselves with drugs and alcohol anymore?
Whatever works for us as individuals works and with the new year, we are going to get a lot of newcomers or people who relapsed.
Up to us to encourage them, share with them how we have recovered or are recovering. Up to them to determine they want to quit and to chose what works best for them.
We can agree to disagree but one thing for sure, we need to be there for the newbie who is suffering the same way others were here for us when we got sober and were all anxious and shaky.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy New Year Cabo

D
Old 01-01-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

IPM - its not right that you should feel like you can't talk about something you are thinking of feeling.

Cabo - I could not stand you at first - we battled on few threads but I have grown to respect you and your views. In fact, some of those posts have helped me more than you know. I find that sometimes discomfort and things that don't feel great means growth is happening.

Some of my good friends on this forum have actually evolved from some good battles - I guess I can have a prickly personality?

So I would like to wish you a happy New Year and to 2014. As I said, I have much respect for you and feel you are going to do great whatever your program may be. Pls share your success and components, as I am guessing they are build on much thought and wisdom.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I agree that I tend to grow more from adversity than comfort. I could not have imagined a few years ago that I could learn so much from a group of people with "codenames" online. But I have learned, and in the willingness of other posters to share their experience and struggles, I have watched people evolve. I wonder sometimes if it is easier to recognize progress in others than it is in ourselves.

I know that all of us will always be evolving, but it is heartening to see many people here find peace and solid footing after getting sober. While sometimes the threads here can be provocative, the tenor of most interactions is most often respectful. In fact I need to learn to do the little guy eating popcorn emoticon (IPM I think you know how) because I often enjoy some of those threads the most. I could imagine a SR retirement home with a bunch of grumpy old posters continuing to kick tires.

Cabo, you always bring an interesting viewpoint to any thread. You are frank and incisive coupled with a great sense of humor, a great combination. Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This is for you Jaynie, the "codenames" cracked me up
Old 01-01-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Happy New Year Cabo. I get the sugar hangover thing. Like LDT said it seems to be poison to me also. I don't have a "program" except maybe take it as it comes. I don't think any of us should have someone else's recovery laid at their feet. Taking care of my own is enough for me. I like that you do what works for you.