Notices

Adrenaline Junkie?

Old 12-31-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Adrenaline Junkie?

I was Researching and found this on the Internet:

"Alcohol causes the adrenal glands to release adrenaline--this is another reason why alcohol has stimulant properties."

I know I've Drank out of Boredom constantly. So I suppose I didn't really have to TRY to find something "Stimulating" to do, other than drink. I could do whatever I would do Sober, but it seemed more Stimulating...

So I was pondering this as I remembered hearing of others who had tried to stay sober for a time and found they needed to create Chaos in their lives or perhaps got into Gambling, etc

Could We also be Addicted to Adrenaline as well and when We are not getting "Our Dose", we feel Bored, Unmotivated and Depressed when Sober?
Old 12-31-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My own THINKING has proven to be addictive.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes ,it gives me energy ,for the moment ,I crash later .

Lots of things you can do ,martial arts ,boxing ,rock climbing ,lift weights ,ect .
Old 12-31-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcohol used to give me a huge short term energy boost. I would skip eating and could chop wood all day long. Then the crash came the next day.
Drink more and get running again.

No wonder I am so tired since I got sober.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah-I corrected a Typo "addicted to adrenaline AS WELL" -not to mean that is the only problem...
Old 12-31-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The excitement of New Year's Eve or anything else can have the same effect. If I were to let my emotions control me and get super charged up at midnight, I'm willing to bet I would experience an emotional hangover.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Yup. I was addicted to my own body chemistry...and learned how to manipulate it to get a "hit" when I wanted one...which became chronic and life threatening.

You name it...risky behavior, love affairs, spending money, throwing parties,cutting,binge eating, anorexia, and then drinking and drugs...most of those things, and certainly all the first ones were me getting high on my body chemistry.

I have to stay aware of that, because for me...if I start ramping up activity in any of those areas...it's a sign of me choosing to block out my life by doing something that gives me a high. If I see that pattern starting to show up in any area, I have to take a look at it and see if I'm just having a fun experience or if I'm starting to "use" again.

This doesn't mean I can't have fun anymore...but I have to check my motives and patterns. And really it's not like I have to by hypervigilant all the time. I know myself well enough to recognize that feeling, the warm powerful high...that is very very much like that first drink.

Truly, I can feel it as powerfully as a pill or a shot when it comes on.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, I have a love-hate relation with my adrenal glands.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am an adrenaline junky and no doubt my alcoholism is related to that.

But, it's OK to be an adrenaline junky. I think of it more as a personality trait than a problem. You just have to build your lifestyle around it. You can get the adrenal fix from hobbies, like combat sports, rock climbing, snowboarding, pretty much any outdoor activities... or even through a job if you go into something like law enforcement or fire fighting. Or race car driving. Look into a career in race car driving, that's my advice.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I figured out how to catch a buzz - exercise

Releases endorphins , they work !
Old 01-01-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think the lady that wrote this book should get some sort of award.
Seven Weeks to Sobriety: The Proven Program to Fight Alcoholism through Nutrition: Joan Mathews Larson: 9780449002599: Amazon.com: Books
I tried to quit many times. The last time I quit I bought this book,and tracked down most of the vitamins I could get over the counter.
I don't think it's so much adrenaline as it is sugar. Adrenaline dumps or releases sugar,or glycogen. Hypoglycemia,which is sort of the opposite of being diabetic can play a huge part. There is no doubt I myself crave sugar. I had no use for candy or sweets until I quit drinking. I now go into frenzies with chocolate just like I did with beer.(Except I don't get drunk from chocolate) But one might see where taking away the alcohol from an alcoholic can cause huge changes in sugar or starch intake. The lady that wrote the book blames mood swings on this imbalance or change. Her son committed suicide,and she claims it was from such a mood swing. After that she devoted most of her time to studying alcoholics and rehab,and she and a couple colleagues got funding for a womens rehab clinic. She claimed a 75% success rate. While AA claims something like 15 to 25?
There is also no doubt excessive drinking causes vitamin deficiencies,or blocks some vitamins from being absorbed. (B is one of them). The lady that wrote the book claims these deficiencies amplify cravings. Hence the bombardment with vitamins. (of course check with your doctor before taking a bombardment of vitamins). But I took all of them I could get that first year.
Was this book the "silver bullet"? I don't think so. I think there were a number of things that got me over the hump to quitting.
But if you were to ask if I would have made it without this book. My honest answer is I don't know. But I wouldn't want to try again without it.
It sure helped to explain a lot of things like diffingo911's adrenaline question for me.
Fred
Old 01-01-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by karate View Post
I figured out how to catch a buzz - exercise

Releases endorphins , they work !

Big 10-4 on that one, it feels great. And during an intense workout (or many other sports), you are so "in the moment" you can't think about anything except what you're doing.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoJimmy View Post
Big 10-4 on that one, it feels great. And during an intense workout (or many other sports), you are so "in the moment" you can't think about anything except what you're doing.

I figured you would be in on this one ,Im back in the fight after this damn broncitas leaves for good .

I just got done with a mid day nap .