Notices

ADD + ADHD in alcoholics...

Old 12-30-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ADD + ADHD in alcoholics...

Attention Deficit Disorder and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, I wonder how common these things are in alcoholics? I was reading an article and one of the classic symptoms listed was an inability to concentrate or focus unless the person was interested in the task at hand.

I think I always had that to one degree or another. The thoughts all over the place and racing thoughts thing was also something I could relate to. I wonder if some of us may have had this all our lives and just never attached a label to it.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was totally on Meds for that, as a Child, but not long enough for it to have helped-My drinking helped to quiet My mind in later Years-
Old 12-31-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've got it. And OCD as well. It makes it very hard to find jobs that I'm good at. I make a lot of mistakes at work so I get let go or leave so I won't be and financial stress makes me want to drink more.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have ADD. Ritalin helped a lot. I stopped taking it when I was 21y old. I am now 31. Go figure that when I stopped taking Ritalin my alcohol/ drug abuse increased 10 fold.
My doctor told me that untreated ADD often leads to substance abuse.

"A recent survey found that more than 15 percent of adults with the disorder had abused or were dependent upon alcohol or drugs during the previous year. That's nearly triple the rate for adults without ADHD." ADD / ADHD Treatment Advice: Substance Abuse and Addiction Among ADD Adults | ADDitude - ADD & LD Adults and Children
Old 12-31-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lifewillgetbet View Post
I have ADD. Ritalin helped a lot. I stopped taking it when I was 21y old. I am now 31. Go figure that when I stopped taking Ritalin my alcohol/ drug abuse increased 10 fold.
My doctor told me that untreated ADD often leads to substance abuse.

"A recent survey found that more than 15 percent of adults with the disorder had abused or were dependent upon alcohol or drugs during the previous year. That's nearly triple the rate for adults without ADHD." ADD / ADHD Treatment Advice: Substance Abuse and Addiction Among ADD Adults | ADDitude - ADD & LD Adults and Children
I think your Dr may have been on to something. I was diagnosed with ADD but never took prescribed meds. Instead I became a chain smoking pothead alcoholic.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brian316 View Post
I think your Dr may have been on to something. I was diagnosed with ADD but never took prescribed meds. Instead I became a chain smoking pothead alcoholic.
He was. When I stopped taking the medication I immediately started hitting the bottle hard. Along with chain smoking, being a pothead oh and serious cocaine addict to boot.
My reason for quitting the medication was because it made me completely neutral. Never happy, never sad, never excited just calm and collected. For some reason I didn't like that person. Now I wish I had him back, but Dr's dont prescribe addicts Ritalin because chances are we would probably abuse that now too.