Notices

This New Years Eve

Old 12-30-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This New Years Eve

Being sober during Christmas was easy, fun and actually rewarding at the same time.
New Years Eve is a completely different story. Even with 5+ months sobriety I am still scared to go out because I know there will be copious amounts of alcohol, weed and cocaine everywhere I go. I can handle being around people that drink and use in moderation, but this 1 single night seems to be a big party bash.
So this is my plan. Stay at home, watch the fireworks then go to bed. I will not drink, smoke weed or use cocaine. I will avoid the places were these activities are taking place like the plague.
I guess its not so bad to hibernate for 1 night out of the year.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I've stayed home for the past 5 New Year's Eves and haven't regretted it once!!
Old 12-30-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Excellent plan Lifewillgetbet! Wishing you a Happy Sober New Year.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good plan!

I've always thought New Year's Eve was overrated. For many years, I went out, but rarely had a good time. Places I frequented were way too crowded, or people (including me) were drunk and obnoxious. I was typically hungover the next day--either spent the day in bed, feeling awful, or had to haul my miserable self up/out to attend family function. Ughhh.

During the past few years, I've had the kind of evening at home that you described in your post, and honestly, they were always fabulous. I always had some sort of scrumptious food in the house, and we either watched a movie (or I went to bed early and read). There's NOTHING like waking up on New Year's Day, feeling rested/relaxed/well, and knowing that your new year is going to start on such a positive note!
Old 12-30-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm worried about this too. Wherever I go there will be alcohol everywhere and I haven't drank for 6 days now. I think we can give ourselves a pat on the back if we get past New Year. It'd be nice to remember one, and it may be hard that night but come the morning everyone else who had been drinking all night and doing drugs will be suffering and we'll feel fresh as a daisy.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I too am in the stay home and eat delicious snacks camp. Not that you can't get into trouble at home, too (I certainly did last year) but I think going out on NYE is just too big a trigger, especially if it's your first year in sobriety. It's a holiday BUILT around drinking, basically. I've made it through the rest of the holidays but this will be my first go at NYE, and I am definitely hunkering down to snuggle with the house pets and watch movies. Be well!!
Old 12-30-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I went out last year. Although I am long time sober and can cope easily in bars, it got on my nerves watching people act like insincere idiots. I am happy to be staying home this year with my grandchildren watching films and eating chocolate. If I hand't stopped drinking when I did, I wouldn't even be here to do that. xxxxxx
Old 12-30-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Why go out? If you aren't drinking it's the stupidest night of the year to leave the house. you know the roads will be full of drunk drivers. why risk your own safety going out into the jungle?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not a single drop for me this year .
Old 12-30-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Staying home and watching the ball drop in NY works for me... if I manage to stay awake.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
I've stayed home for the past 5 New Year's Eves and haven't regretted it once!!
Good for you. I will be staying in as well and then get up early to go for a nice walk. It's liberating to do what you want without being stopped by a terrible hangover from drinking too much!!!
Old 12-30-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good plan, same plan here and chocolate will be a part of it
Old 12-30-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am working the evening shift then going home carefully (there will be a lot of drunk drivers and idiots out there) and provided I am still up (generally I am wiped out on Tuesdays I start my day at 4 am) I will watch the fireworks from my patio with a cup of hot cocoa.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hmmmmm chocolate on nyevsounds perfect
Old 12-30-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You have the right idea. There is no reason whatsoever to go out on New Year's Eve. I think you'll find you enjoy staying in and taking it easy.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Huge benefit of staying sober on New Year's Eve - you don't have to wait in the freezing cold for 3 hours for a cab. You can just drive!
Old 12-30-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'll be off to my mums. The only problem is my brother will be there and he is a big drinker. I feel like I have to be there however as my mother isn't well. I will just stay in the room with her and the parrot and leave him to it in the kitchen with his drinks and music.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

I'll be out with the band.
The apprehension is overwhelming.

I have a gig on New Years Day, also.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Usually I'm off work on NYE but this year I'm working up till 6pm tomorrow evening, the thought of doing anything after that other than heading home and chilling out makes me feel tired!! . . . dvds and some NYE telly is in store!!
Old 12-30-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I get off work at 2pm and am looking very forward to quiet time at home with a nice meal and a good movie.

I'm generally asleep by 11 and set my alarm to call my Mum at midnight (that has been our tradition for years, even when I was drinking; she could always count on hearing from me at midnight)

It is such a horrible night to go out... Even my last few years of drinking I didn't like going out... Food is always bad, amateurs are drinking to excess and acting a fool, and it's a crap shoot to get home safely.

Thanks, but I'll be home, snuggly and happy. Plus I will wake up on NY Day fresh and probably go for a hike, to the beach and feel GREAT doing it!!!

WhooHoo!!!
That right there is MY Happy New Year!!!