Notices

This New Years Eve

Old 12-30-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

this year i am hosting my niece and nephew for a sleepover. pizza, snacks, kid games and sparkling cider at midnight and i could not be more excited.

even when i was drinking, there was too much pressure to party on this night and i most always regretted everything the very next day. excited to start my new year with memory and clarity!
Old 12-30-2013, 10:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

all are good ideas. me I don't have plans maybe AA meeting
Old 12-30-2013, 10:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Do what you have to do to stay sober. I get it but don't want to avoid "the party" because of alcohol. Alcohol is everywhere and the quicker I become comfortable with people drinking and not having feelings to drink myself or having the feeling of being deprived because I can't drink the better. I don't mind missing the party, I just don't want it because of alcohol.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy healthy and sober New Year to you all

Be who you want to be

D
Old 12-31-2013, 03:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

There are going to be lots of people wake up in jail tomorrow .

I won't be one of them
Old 12-31-2013, 03:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Gonna be my first NYE sober as well! My last drink was last NYE !! Not only will it be a new year but will also be a sober year! THX SR!!!!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Old 12-31-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I get it but don't want to avoid "the party" because of alcohol. Alcohol is everywhere and the quicker I become comfortable with people drinking and not having feelings to drink myself or having the feeling of being deprived because I can't drink the better. I don't mind missing the party, I just don't want it because of alcohol.
I always urge caution for newcomers.

Wanting to take on the world is a pretty common mindset for an alcoholic...

sometimes it's best to sit back a little, work on yourself and your recovery build up your sober muscles and wait a while before you rejoin the world of drinkers.

I gave 20 years to drinking - I figured I could give a few months to recovery work.

I credit doing that - waiting until I was sure nothing or noone could sway me - with my lasting recovery success.

D
Old 12-31-2013, 05:20 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Sticking my nose in from the Friends and Family board to say.
My partner has been sober and attending AA daily for 21 days now.
I just asked him what he wanted to do for New Year.
He said "would you mind terribly if we treated it like just another day and did something special next year? I think that would be easiest."
Would I mind ? I am whistling happy tunes here. phew !!!!
Old 12-31-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Funny, even the last few years that I drank I did NYE at home because I didn't like the crowds. Lol. Have a good one at home, if you have kids, get the noisemakers and hats... Hell even if you don't have kids!
Old 12-31-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

OOh Tonight Taking Mrs out For Pizza Express, large bottle of sparkling water and then Cheesecake for dessert. Simple pleasures now, I really am starting to feel the benefits and clarity of being sober.

Have a great sober is cool 2014 !
Old 12-31-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

In bed before midnight. Just another evening. I vaguely recall my last New Years in public. Oiled by 8, slurring by 9, staggering about spilling my drink by 10, being a public nuisance, "dancer" and "singer" and sleaze bag by 11 and either thrown out, passed out or blacked out by 12. Can't remember the night but sure remember the hangover the next day.
Whats it all about anyway?
Old 12-31-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I always urge caution for newcomers.

Wanting to take on the world is a pretty common mindset for an alcoholic...

sometimes it's best to sit back a little, work on yourself and your recovery build up your sober muscles and wait a while before you rejoin the world of drinkers.

I gave 20 years to drinking - I figured I could give a few months to recovery work.

I credit doing that - waiting until I was sure nothing or noone could sway me - with my lasting recovery success.

D
This is so true. I actually felt sorry for myself that I could not go to a party because everyone was drinking. And I was tired of feeling sorry for myself, so I went anyways. I did have a beer that night, then a few the next weekend and you know what that lead to.
Also because my friends know I am an addict/alcoholic, they feel guilty about drinking or using around me. So I don’t want to put them through that. Plus, I didn’t want to be at a party being the only sober person either. For right now that sucks.
Best thing for me is to just avoid these situations like the plague for now. I know there will be a time when I will be strong enough, but at 5 months, the time is not now.
I generally don’t mind when people drink around me on an average typical night either, because this is normally followed by a spectacular dinner. What bothers me about New Years is for some; the only event of the night is to drink much. And I know there are many people that don’t over drink on New Years Eve. I just don’t know many of them. My crew is all about getting plastered tonight and I just don’t want to be involved in it.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Some of us have to be part of the "party" whether we want to or not. How I wish i could just spend a quiet night at home with my Lady...

I just keep telling myself how good it's gonna feel to start a new year feeling as good as I do now.

I'm confident the night will go fast. I stand by my thoughts that I don't have the option to drink any alcohol.

I've given away enough of my life.

I got 16 days invested and I don't want to break the winning streak.

Let's hope the New Year is better for all.

Peace

D.D.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Definitely spending the night at home tonight...Have had many sober NYEs in the past, prior to this last relapse...and my husband and I developed our own tradition during those years of caviar, shrimp, cheese/crackers etc. by the fire...Many times we went to bed before the midnight celebrations. Since we have moved and we don't have fires here...we have let go of this "tradition"....and, my sobriety. Time to start it back up! Goodies in the fridge (same ones!) and there will be fireworks on the beach tonight! Hope we can stay up for them...but, don't really care if we do...Looking forward to a sober NYE and the parade tomorrow on TV!