Notices

Planned relapses while on Antabuse

Old 12-28-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Planned relapses while on Antabuse

Greetings Folks!
Haven't posted in a while. Day 1 again today . I started taking Antabuse five months ago did good for a couple of months but then I started taking it for about8-10 days then wait for it to get out of my system and then go on 3-5 day binges.
The binges are worse than before. Complete blackouts. Lots of bar hopping. People would tell me we went to places and i would not remember any of it . Just plain scary. I'm exhausted tonight but I had the energy to go to an AA meeting. I'm going to post here every day to keep me grounded. G'night friends
Old 12-28-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Volstead
Old 12-29-2013, 04:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome. I would have to trust myself at least a little to take antabuse. The effects with drink sound devastating. It's sounds a bit like when I was taking flagyl after an op, similar reaction apparently but I had no idea or warning because the doc had no idea about my drinking. I have never felt so ill in all my life. Good luck xxxx
Old 12-29-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I remember I had a crazy idea to integrate antabuse in to my drinking lifestyle. I was going to ask the doctor to prescribe me some under the pretence that I needed some medical support in staying on the wagon long term. I was the going to binge drink on Friday and Saturday , buy a breathalyser and when the alcohol had left my system on Sunday I was going to take the antabuse until Thursday to stop me drinking. So glad I stopped myself before putting that insane plan in to action... Total abstinence is the only way I'll find respite and get the peace of mind I've been searching for. I would recommend antabuse for people who have been sober for a long time and need some additional support in staying off the wagon but it requires one to have absolute resolve to not drink in the first place. The stories of people who have drunk whilst on antabuse are horrific..
Old 12-29-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Volstead View Post
Greetings Folks!
Haven't posted in a while. Day 1 again today . I started taking Antabuse five months ago did good for a couple of months but then I started taking it for about8-10 days then wait for it to get out of my system and then go on 3-5 day binges.
The binges are worse than before. Complete blackouts. Lots of bar hopping. People would tell me we went to places and i would not remember any of it . Just plain scary. I'm exhausted tonight but I had the energy to go to an AA meeting. I'm going to post here every day to keep me grounded. G'night friends
i remember those days.. (all too well) i am an Alcoholic. fortunately Today i am a Recovering Alcoholic! and i no longer have to play around with Antabuse or fight with cravings that are going to kill me. NOT Remembering things you have done SHOULD Scare you.

best of luck to you Volstead.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Volstead. I'm so sorry to hear your merry-go-round of somehow 'bargaining' with yourself on which days you could drink.

Thank you for sharing your story - we've all tried to control this, or thought we could control this is some crazy way or other. You're not alone.

Please stick around. There's lots of support here to help you through those crazy times.

Stick with sobriety, it's worth it.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just remember how bad drinking makes you feel .

Sure feel better sober