Notices

wrecked

Old 12-27-2013, 10:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ebo

wrecked

Well I got an AA SPONSOR and I'm starting step one. I also have some possibilities of a sober living house. I blew it yesterday and it makes me sick. However I now have 24 hrs of sobriety. Thank you God . Now I have to try and focus and fix my wreckage as it unfolds. Not sure how and I know it will Suck especially sober . Any ideas on how to curb the anxiety of reality? I pray I will never relapse again . I seem to be in a cycle can't get 30 days to save my life . Any suggestions on how to not relapse? I'm told I may NOT make it back one day ...
Old 12-27-2013, 11:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

all I can suggest ebo is throw everything you have at staying sober - reach out before you drink.

why do you think you drank yesterday?

D
Old 12-28-2013, 12:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you on getting a sponsor. Take it one day at a time and one issue at a time.

There are many tools that we pick up along the way. You will find your tools. Reach out as often as you need to for help. It is one of the tools. I know I would not be were I am if I did not reach out the first time and then continue to do so on a regular basis.

If you feel like drinking call someone or post here. Everything is going to be okay. Take a deep breath and jump in to recovery. Take those suggestions you get to heart and if you are done fighting, then follow the suggestions.

Hang in there
Old 12-28-2013, 04:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"Any ideas on how to curb the anxiety of reality? I pray I will never relapse again."
that fear of the unkown was with me early on. I had no clue what life sober was gonna be like. so I prayed for courage, then got busy working the steps.

"Any suggestions on how to not relapse? I'm told I may NOT make it back one day ... "
heres what the BB says. its what I did and its been working pretty good:
If you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any length to get it-then you are ready to take certain steps.

With all the earnestness at our command, we beg of you to be fearless and thorough from the very start. Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil until we let go absolutely.

Abandon yourself to God as you understand God. Admit your faults to Him and to your fellows. Clear away the wreckage of your past. Give freely of what you find and join us. We shall be with you in the Fellowship of the Spirit, and you will surely meet some of us as you trudge the Road of Happy Destiny.

May God bless you and keep you - until then.

I know I have another drunk in me, but I doubt I have another recovery.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

FIRST, don't awfulize and assume fixing your wreakage will suck. Take pride in what you can do ONE DAY AT A TIME. Get up in the morning, do something for your sobriety, and set a small goal to accomplish. You will be amazed at the result.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Stopping drinking is not the hardest part I find.

Facing the mess we created is harder. But the inly way is to cleanup the mess until our life is in order, emotionally, physically, and financially.

Only when you will have at minimum stabilized the above things will feel a lot better. And going back won't even be on your mind.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ebo View Post
Not sure how and I know it will Suck especially sober . Any ideas on how to curb the anxiety of reality?

The only way to fix anything is sober. I was struck by the comment,"especially sober" Did you make the mess sober. I really doubt it. Being sober may allow you to fix what is broken and it for sure will help you to a much better life. One day at
a time we can do this. No one is going to make you pour a drink down your throat. Just don't pick up the drink. It is working for me. I will be keeping you in my prayers.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If your worried about not making it back then obviously your at the point of is this disease gonna kill me?For me that was my bottom. I was going to die from excessive alcohol consumption. You my not wake up in the morning hungover thinking thats your delima. Just remember alcoholism is progressive. Go one day at a time and eventually 30 days shall past. Read the promises in the big book. That might help you. Reality is safe and much more predictable. Its easier. Hang in there. Myself and many others here at sr care about you!
Old 12-28-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Fill your days with activities ,It helps .

And of course don't keep any alcohol ,in the house .

When you want to drink ,eat ,or grab a Gatorade .

For some reason Gatorade is always my go to drink .
Old 12-29-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Keep yourself busy maybe? I pick up extra shifts at work because I tend to relapse on my weekends, sucks working at a bar though..
Old 12-29-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't expect to relapse. Sometimes I think the constant expectation of relapse and even believing relapse is just part of the process can sabotage you. Remove the option of relapse. I had to realize that I was going to die and that drinking was no longer an option. I deal with my issues one day at a time knowing that there is never a reason to drink.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When my husband and I were first dating he told me what he said to himself as he quit smoking..."No matter what happens DON'T smoke." And so I adopted this as my mantra when I quit drinking...no matter what happens don't drink. I know that may seem simple and sometimes it's certainly easier said than done. But you CAN do it.

Then I started searching out healthy ways to fill my time, since I had plenty of it after I quit drinking. For me I began a yoga and mindfulness practice that completely changed every aspect of my life. I also decided I would see every Best Picture nominee for the Academy Awards. And this was actually a really fun challenge because it got me out of the house and seeing films I would probably never see otherwise. Seeing them in the theatre where I could really lose myself in the story with snacks and treats was super healing for me. Sometimes I went with friends but lots of times I went by myself...and even doing things on my own was a revelation because my alcoholic anxiety left me virtually agoraphobic for many years. Maybe you'll feel a little strange at first taking yourself out on a date, but once the lights dim and the movie begins who cares?! So I know the nominees haven't been announced for the Academy yet, but there are a bunch of great films out right now in the running (American Hustle!!!). You can check out the Golden Globes nominations for ideas. And if movies aren't your thing, I suggest finding a time consuming hobby that interests you.

Good luck!! I wish you so much peace and happiness! xoxo