Notices

1- shot of crown on christmas .

Old 12-26-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1- shot of crown on christmas .

That's all I consumed ,with family .

Im still calling today day 5 SOBER , if I did not get intoxicated ,I call it SOBER .

No beer at home ,Im safe .

If someone wants to dispute my definition of sober ,Well that's ok .

Hope everyone is doing well .
Old 12-26-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your sobriety is just that, your own.

Just don't fall into the trap of having a shot here and there. That is what I used to do and it awakened the beast and one day I kept drinking .
Old 12-26-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The secret for me is not having it in the house ,I wont go to the trouble of going to get it .

Its way too much trouble to go get whiskey ,Too far of a drive .
Old 12-26-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

to thine own self be true
I have rationalized it was only one before, then end up worse than I was.
one is too many and a thousand never enough. for me.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

In these pages, abstinence is poo poohed in comparison to sobriety, because sobriety is supposed to mean so much more than abstinence. This is a case where it seems to mean about an ounce and a half less.

Nothing good can come of this. If you are looking for approval of an alcoholic taking a shot 'now and then', then you're gonna have a bad time. The best you will find here is 'go ahead and suit yourself'.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

I fancy a drink but won't go there, no way, I don't trust myself, one would be the start and then where would I be, on that slippery slope again.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LDT

Your belief or understanding of your sobriety is between you and you...just be real about about it.... What I do know for certain is that, for an alcoholic like me, having a "shot" now and then is a dead end. Nothing good comes of it. I wish you well.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi karate, first, kudos to you for coming on here and remaining accountable by admitting it. You need to tread lightly with this though. Many relapses begin with the justification that as long as you don't feel the effects of the alcohol then you're not really drinking.

Then comes the day where you have that shot and you decide that one more won't hurt. There's a one sip difference between "I'm fine and still sober" and "Ah, who the hell cares?". The problem is you can never predict where that sip lies.

Just something to keep in mind the next time you peer down at that shot glass. I'm glad that you're still committed to remaining sober. Just be careful because you're playing with the AV and that pesky character multiplies in strength very quickly.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Karate, that's great if that works for you. But I'm curious, is the enjoyment in having 1-shot in knowing you're in control, or the actual drink itself?
Old 12-26-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I cannot wrap my head around the purpose of one shot of Crown. One shot? Lol No, thank you. If I'm going to drink alcohol, it would be to get a good solid buzz, also known as drunk.

If I'm not out to get a buzz on, then I would drink something other than alcohol.

I guess you have proven something of relevance to yourself, so in that sense you did well. I guess I just don't understand the test question. At all.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I cannot wrap my head around the purpose of one shot of Crown. One shot? Lol No, thank you. If I'm going to drink alcohol, it would be to get a good solid buzz, also known as drunk.

If I'm not out to get a buzz on, then I would drink something other than alcohol.

I guess you have proven something of relevance to yourself, so in that sense you did well. I guess I just don't understand the test question. At all.
I completely agree with this post - why? Seems like wasted calories and heartache. Is it to fit - to prove your not an alcoholic? For me once shot makes no sense - now 12 I can see the logic in this.

Your sobriety is your own and if the days mean a lot than have at it...honesty to me is the key to any recovery program and I am not sure you are being honest with yourself.

If you got in a situation that you felt you could not back out of and want to know was this a slip vs a relapse than I would say this is a slip and keep working your program.

Either way good luck.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The problem has never been one drink. One drink for me makes no sense. One fifth is a good start
Old 12-26-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

when I relapsed after six months I basically started with one glass of Scott from a bottle someone left at my girls house. Then it was one glass a couple days a week and not getting buzzed. Then I walked to the store and got a couple beers to chase it and within a couple of months it was six or so drinks 3-4 days a week and progressing. That's when I decided to quit again but I wish I never picked up that first drink. But I know we're all different
Old 12-26-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I couldn't do it, but good for you not getting drunk x
Old 12-26-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

yeah, I could do that one shot one day...but it would just get all my juices flowing and a couple days or a week later....it would be me nursing a bottle. I know because I tried this myself.

Gotta admit, I'm curious why you posted about your shot here.

I'm curious because I am wondering what MY motivations would have been for doing so...not because I am suspicious of your motivations.

but I am curious
Old 12-26-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
yeah, I could do that one shot one day...but it would just get all my juices flowing and a couple days or a week later....it would be me nursing a bottle. I know because I tried this myself.

Gotta admit, I'm curious why you posted about your shot here.

I'm curious because I am wondering what MY motivations would have been for doing so...not because I am suspicious of your motivations.

but I am curious

I RUN ,my consumption ,It does not run me .

That might not work for everyone ,But once I make up my mind ,Might as well call it a done deal .

I might not be an alcoholic ,Or possible a different form of alcoholic , or I might just be NUTS

Likley am Nuts ,But im happy in my present state .

Keep in mind ,I can drink 4 beers and be awake all night ,Or drink a cup of coffee ,and fall asleep 30 minutes later . So who knows .

I gave up trying to figure out my system ,years ago .
Old 12-26-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Karate, I just typed up a reply stating some things about this post and many of your other posts/threads, but I thought it might be taken the wrong way.

That said, I have read many of your posts/threads, and I have to agree with Threshold - why? In fact, I'll take it a step further, why are you on a site called "sober recovery"? And I'm sorry, I won't accept that you are here because you are sober. You know (or at least I hope you know) darn well that talking of drinking, on this site, while calling yourself sober, is a total contradiction, and in my opinion, potentially dangerous to others.

Oops, looks like I took up right where I left off of the reply I deleted.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by karate View Post
But once I make up my mind ,Might as well call it a done deal ..
I was under the impression that you had decided to stop trying to drink in moderation because it left you unfulfilled and you felt your body didn't react well (specifically with regards to sleep). You began counting days without drinking, so that sounds like you made up your mind not to drink. But then you drank. So this seems a bit contradictory. You've also posted a couple of times about struggling to stay sober - when sick, during a specific time of year, etc. So clearly it isn't just a simple matter of making up your mind. Unless changing your mind is acceptable depending on the circumstances.

So what is your new goal? Your new plan? Abstinence? Drinking in moderation?
Old 12-26-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh I get it now. You are in control!
Old 12-26-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by karate View Post
,But im happy in my present state .
Of course this is all that really matters. But i suspect if this were really true, you wouldn't be on this board trying to convince us. If it is true, that's great! Congratulations and well wishes!