Notices

Christmas and drinking thoughts

Old 12-22-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Christmas and drinking thoughts

Just wanted to share some thoughts with you all at, especially this time of year. Today, up early, out doing my job with my work colleague. Got a fair bit done but completely knackered. What started my mind thinking, thinking daughter was invited to a local pub for "Christmas drinks"! The people going there, I know them all and one girlfriend in particular I've known for 26 years or more, and yet, I didn't get an invite, but my daughter does!!! Admittedly, I felt snubbed. Moving on; I definitely would not have gone if invited, but, it's just nice to have the invite. That's all. End of.

Thinking further about the pub life. For years it held a magic for me. I absolutely loved and adored Christmas, why? Because I could partake in my favorite hobby of drinking and everybody would want to do the same. I would talk endless frivolous ******** talk to people I knew, didn't know, wouldn't care, because the whole deluded fantastic fantasy would make me feel, great, wonderful, happy to be alive load of nonsense. I have to share this with you guys because it's utter truth. Take the alcohol away and what, in reality, have you got.

I spent the rest of my day titivating the house for Christmas, finishing some work, not knitting, unfortunately. Looking after my dogs, taking them for walks and, just thoroughly enjoying my little self, knowing that in years gone past I would have got home from pub eventually, drunk out of my head, row with hubby and daughter, gone to bed in terrible state and woke up with all the usual hangover, guilt, and repercussions that we all know only too well. No, I do not envy them in the pub, staggering home, nursing a hangover tomorrow. I will go to bed then wake up refreshed, feeling good, can look hubby in the eye knowing there are no rows, no recriminations.

It's a peaceful life, perhaps not as exciting (all in the mind) but I would never, ever want that life back. Sorry for babbling. Merry Christmas to my SR friends xx
Old 12-22-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas x
Old 12-22-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

My life has changed too, Lily.
It's quieter, but it's a lot more real and fulfilling too.

I wouldn't change it for the world.

I do fully intend to have some fun over Christmas tho - hope you do too

D
Old 12-22-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Love your post. Thank you.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

That's a great post. I found that if I wasn't invited to places it could often be because the people didn't want a sober person to witness there behaviour. Just a thought. Well done for being strong and matter-of-fact about it all. Merry Christmas xxxx
Old 12-22-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for this. I had thoughts today about how I used to party.

Comment that got to me is that life is more quiet, I need to get used to that. Not boring, just less chaotic.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Excellent post, thank you for sharing.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thank you lilly. It made me all teary to read your thoughts. I feel very much the same way. The first Christmas was difficult - I felt a bit sorry for myself - but as you said we aren't missing a thing. Enjoy your holiday season.