Notices

Feel hungover but...

Old 12-22-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Feel hungover but...

This has happened before. I've just never asked about it. So I'm sober, about 3 weeks now... But I woke up feeling kinda hungover this AM. Getting enough sleep. Eating well. Have been drinking a TON of clean filtered water (with lemon and/or cucumber yum). I'm taking my medicine as directed and a REALLY good multi-vitamin...

Wake up and just have "that feeling". Stomach a little off. Mind is fuzzy...

What gives?????

I wonder if everyone wakes up feeling like this sometimes. Maybe PAWS? It's really kind of a bummer. But, I can rally! (Lotsa practice)
Old 12-22-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EverySngleNight View Post
This has happened before. I've just never asked about it. So I'm sober, about 3 weeks now... But I woke up feeling kinda hungover this AM. Getting enough sleep. Eating well. Have been drinking a TON of clean filtered water (with lemon and/or cucumber yum). I'm taking my medicine as directed and a REALLY good multi-vitamin...

Wake up and just have "that feeling". Stomach a little off. Mind is fuzzy...

What gives?????

I wonder if everyone wakes up feeling like this sometimes. Maybe PAWS? It's really kind of a bummer. But, I can rally! (Lotsa practice)
If you are in New England now, the change of weather (extreme cold to extreme mild) has given a lot of people a fuzzy head cold - the type that makes us feel sluggish. I know I do. Everyone I know is sick - so it may not be alcohol withdrawals at all! Smiles.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I think our cells have a certain "memory" to them. A circadian rhythm of sorts.

May I ask, how would you have been feeling on any given Sunday before these last three weeks ? I know yesterday I felt hung to the toes. But Friday nights were my usual blow out nights...
Old 12-22-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile

Oh great!! So I'm getting the flu!?!LOL Damn you NE and your crazy weather!!! Now that I think of it, it is VERY dreary out. My allergies have spiked a bit since the temp went up.... GOOD THINKING. TY. It is VERY likely my allergies (or a flu... But I'm erring on the side of allergies for positive thinking.) :-)
Old 12-22-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

It sounds like it could be PAWS but it could just be something you ate last night too.

How much sleep did you get last night? I'm almost 7 months sober and have found that when I didn't sleep well or sleep enough it mimics the feeling of a hangover somewhat.

I'm in New England and I am getting over that nasty head cold that anyistoomuch just referred to.

Lot's of reasons that you could be feeling the way that you are. Your body is doing a lot of work right now trying to heal and that can also create the feelings that you're referring to.

I think that sometimes we think that all of a sudden since we quit drinking that we're going to wake up every day automatically feeling peachy keen. That doesn't even happen for people who never had a problem with alcohol.

Per the norm, if there's every anything that's concerning you should always talk to your doctor.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alpha, I'd considered that too. As if my body is SO used to feeling crushed by Sunday, that it's just activated somehow. Body memory or some such thing... ? Some weird trigger, paired with a sensation. Sunday = hungover. Wonder if there is any science on this in direct relation to alcoholism, rather than your basic behavioral "Pavlovian" studies. I can see how it's possible within that framework though... Interesting stuff!!!!!
Old 12-22-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by EverySngleNight View Post
Oh great!! So I'm getting the flu!?!LOL Damn you NE and your crazy weather!!! Now that I think of it, it is VERY dreary out. My allergies have spiked a bit since the temp went up.... GOOD THINKING. TY. It is VERY likely my allergies (or a flu... But I'm erring on the side of allergies for positive thinking.) :-)
This cold starts really funny. You don't feel sick but your nose runs for about a week. It's like it doesn't really want to decide if it wants to be a cold or not. I didn't even realize it might be a cold, I just thought I had come in from outside and that's why my nose was running. Then, a slight sore throat in the morning that goes away. Weirdest cold I've ever had. It comes and goes in along the lines of two hour increments. You feel like you have a cold for two hours then you're fine for two hours. Finally, it does invade your sinuses. It tried to move down into my chest but never made it there. Then, about a week and a half later I'm on the mend. Definitely woke up in the morning feeling like you described too.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I would often wake up feeling like I had drank the night before for about 6 weeks. If it's weather related you could try taking some Vitamin D.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lady,

I got 7.5 hours. I ate a beautiful grilled steak and a GIANT pile of sautéed but still crunchy broccoli with wilted tomatoes. i guess no one can wake up feeling FABULOUS every day- shame really! :-) Life requires a lot more fixes than just quitting (in my case anyway). Maybe 3 weeks is the tipping point. Maybe my body is flushing out all kindsa yuck? I hope so!! That's a really nice thing to think about. I like that you mentioned healing. It kinda makes me feel good about feeling crappy. Lol TY
Old 12-22-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Healing is hard work That's exactly what you're doing!
Old 12-22-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lady, that's a weird one!!! I'll start some Zicam STAT!! Thx for the heads up. Still may just be allergies. My dog and I have similar allergies (true story!) and she gets itchy when my my allergies act up. And I've had to up her Benadryl over the last few days... But I'm going into "operation stop the flu" mode... Just in case!
Old 12-22-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
This cold starts really funny. You don't feel sick but your nose runs for about a week. It's like it doesn't really want to decide if it wants to be a cold or not. I didn't even realize it might be a cold, I just thought I had come in from outside and that's why my nose was running. Then, a slight sore throat in the morning that goes away. Weirdest cold I've ever had. It comes and goes in along the lines of two hour increments. You feel like you have a cold for two hours then you're fine for two hours. Finally, it does invade your sinuses. It tried to move down into my chest but never made it there. Then, about a week and a half later I'm on the mend. Definitely woke up in the morning feeling like you described too.

Got the second of the winter now ,Had a cold 3 weeks .

I think I have had two back to back .

A hangover is still worse -imo .
Old 12-24-2013, 03:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well, I've come down with the stomach flu. It started yesterday. It couldn't have been anything I ate, and someone in my program mentioned not feeling well in a similar way last week. So I'm pretty sure I caught a bug.

Amazing, in all the time I was drinking this last go-round - never once did I catch a stomach virus. Or, maybe I just didn't notice and attributed it to a hangover?? LOL Maybe tequila and stomach viruses aren't compatible! ;-)

Anyway, it will be nice to be able to listen to my body more, without the influence of alcohol overshadowing everything.

So, I'm a bit green around the gills- but no worse for the wear!!!

Wash your hands folks... wash your hands. :-)