Notices

TV Ads for alcohol

Old 12-19-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

TV Ads for alcohol

Just one after the other. It's so unnecessary as so many people buy it anyway, especially this time of year. It's been on my screen all night. I'm just grateful that now the sight of it just makes me gag.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

-and all the people in the adds look so Social, Productive, Happy and Healthy !!!
Old 12-19-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SeaScape

The marketing to young women is out of control...who else is buying Candy Cane Vodka. S'mores vodka. Oh jeeze.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

So many new fangled products since my day, but they still go down the same hole and create the same havoc. I rarely see happy healthy people grinning and doing a gentle little jig after a Jaeger Bomb.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You would think the companies would save their money. They have a product that basically sells it self. I sure didn't need any amount of advertising , other then the advertising from friends and family
Old 12-19-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by quitter13 View Post
You would think the companies would save their money. They have a product that basically sells it self. I sure didn't need any amount of advertising , other then the advertising from friends and family
Totally agree.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

What bugs me are the two nit wit anchors drinking wine at 10:00AM. Just sends such a bad message on multiple levels. Commercials dont bother me as much as the store displays in unexpected places. Go to get dog food and there is a huge display of booze in fancy packaging. Hell the grocery store I go to gives out fee samples of wine.

Staying sober is hard enough without all the extra help!
Old 12-19-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
What bugs me are the two nit wit anchors drinking wine at 10:00AM. Just sends such a bad message on multiple levels. Commercials dont bother me as much as the store displays in unexpected places. Go to get dog food and there is a huge display of booze in fancy packaging. Hell the grocery store I go to gives out fee samples of wine.

Yes, loads of shops are giving small glasses of wine away and hairdressers this time of year. When you refuse or ask for a cup of tea, they look at you as though you were mad.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Books don't have adverts... heh turn the tv off!... That's been my plan lately
Old 12-19-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, look at the Vigra commercials...I mean throwing the ball through the tire - getting it in the hole? How perfect. Vigra is multi billion dollar product annually.

I don't get caught up in the advertising. Honestly, I say open the flood gates and legalize it all with some tort reform in the US.

If I owned a bottling company I would advertise just the same. Maximize shareholder value. Look at all ads, rarely do I see a bra on a fat woman. Instead it's on a 1/100 % of the population and photoshopped to boot.

Most bars I do see happy, jovial people. It's the poor decisions that occur later in the night or hangovers the next day or death on the side of the road that the companies want to hide.

Noing we can do about that, just build a program for ourselves to deal with the white noise around us.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Twinings View Post
Books don't have adverts... heh turn the tv off!... That's been my plan lately
I read with the TV on, plus coming on here. Multitasking lol
Old 12-19-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The first few months I quit,it drove me up the wall. Falstaff (of all things) came out with some new kind of beer. It was on the radio,it was on Bill boards along the highway. It seemed like it was every where. They almost "got me".
Signs along the highway still get me for a split second every now and then. It's a reflex like getting knocked on the knee. It is in my sub conscience mind. And that is what they are trying to do. When someone goes in a beer store and stands there like a kid in a candy store like I used to do. Those advertisements can no doubt sway someones purchase. Whether they are thinking about the advertisement or not.
Thats just the way it is.
Fred
Old 12-19-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, commercialization of Alcohol Sucks. Where I live there is morning radio program I listen to in the morning on my drive to work. Every friday they do a "Friday Beer Buzz" segment where they try craft Beers and talk about it. Even just hearing them advertise an hour before how they are excited to have the Beer Buzz coming up bothers me. Celebrating something that gives so many people problems seems irresponsible. I usually avoid the station on Friday now just to avoid annoying myself first thing in the morning.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
quat

It's a consumer product and I like capitalism so it doesn't bother me. But what I really don't get is that there is apparently a real need for Farmers Only dating services , good figure
Old 12-19-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Umm….Today show has Kathy Lee and Hoda drinking wine every morning (the thing most relate to being a "real alcoholic" and doing shots fairly often). Show runs at 9AM I believe. Talk about endorsing morning drinking...
Old 12-19-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful

I try to remember that about 90% of people who drink alcohol do not have a drinking problem. Also about 50% of the population are not drinkers at all (these are U.S. stats). I believe that as former problem drinkers we are more sensitive due to what alcohol has done to our lives. When I was drinking I had a hard time grasping that how I drank was abnormal. I still have to remind myself that despite the prevalence of alcohol in our society most people do not drink like I used to drink.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
But what I really don't get is that there is apparently a real need for Farmers Only dating services , good figure
That's what the livestock auctions were for where I grew up in Tennessee.

(Just kidding Tennesseans! Really!!)
Old 12-19-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

In my country (china), lots of the adverts for alcohol on TV also feature driving cars, I suppose to draw in men's attention as women largely don't drink over here. The most ridiculous advert recently is actually for voice activated GPS, where a guy and his friends are in a car driving, and they say to the GPS 'let's go drinking', gps then shows nearest bar. And they wonder why drink driving is such a huge problem....!
Old 12-20-2013, 12:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Commercials don't bother me as much as the store displays in unexpected places. Go to get dog food and there is a huge display of booze in fancy packaging. Hell the grocery store I go to gives out fee samples of wine.

My grocery store just opened a state liquor store in the store. They moved some isles so now as I walk from the isle with spaghetti sauce to the frozen food isle, I pass the isle for liquor. It was its own register and a steel gate.

A year ago I would have been thrilled...lol

I have noticed a lot more ads but it seems to depend on the station I am watching. Some have at least one or two every freaking break. Luckily for me, they are shows I record so I can just fast forward past them. If they are not recorded then I make use of the two/three minute commercial break and do something. Sometimes I put it on pause so I can just fast forward when I get back...lol
Old 12-20-2013, 12:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Keep the masses drunk and feed them a diet of reality celeb tv shows. Nothing more scary than a sober population questioning the world around them