Notices

Acknowledging you are an Alcoholic

Old 12-18-2013, 09:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
oak

I knew I might be as a teenager, because I was drinking a lot when I drank (but that was only occasionally) and both my parents drank a lot. I stopped drinking for 16 years. When I tried alcohol after 16 years sober, I was immediately obsessed and craving and could see how compulsively I drank. That confirmed for me that I definitely had a problem.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I never really thought of myself as an alcoholic, until I quit. Now in hindsight there was no doubt. Sad thing was there were a lot of things that should of opened my eyes to this sooner.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Kingtarquin

I too relapse again and again thinking there is no problem until I decide to quit again. I quit 6 months ago and in the last month find myself drinking because I am bored. I feel like I keep letting myself down but then rationalizing having a few cocktails. I never hit rock bottom but I have noticed I don't like having just one beverage. I like to power drink to get that buzz. It's all or nothing for me and I prefer nothing except for the buzz. Vicious cycle!!!
Old 12-19-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cocopuff3315 View Post
When did you finally realize that you are an alcoholic?
When I was driving down the street one day "praying" out to the universe to please, please make me stop drinking. I did that for another few years before I had the notion to quit.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I knew that I was one long before I acknowledged it. To acknowledge it meant that I had to do something about it.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am not sure I have ever called myself an alcoholic, it is a rather loaded word for me.

It was a slow process over months that I saw it was either or with alcohol and me. I could not control it, I had to stop it or it controlled me and it was not leading the right direction when it controlled me.

140 days sober today – I do not miss it.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm not sure how this sounds, but I have always thought I could be an alcoholic, but when I was younger I thought an alcoholic was someone who drank 24/7, with the shakes, etc. Now that I am older MY definition has changed. WHEN I crossed the line into alcoholism, I'm not sure . . .the tendency was always there . . .I'm sure of it. Only recently have I admitted it to myself.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

For Me the realization was when I thought of how many days/hours/years I spent consuming. I also calculated that I probably had about 10,000 beers in my career.
That number may even be a conservative amount too...
Old 12-21-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I finally ACKNOWLEGED that I was an alcoholic when I realized that drinking was going to destroy my life - it was going to destroy my mental health, my liver, and my ability to earn an income. Maybe not tomorrow, maybe not next year, but in the future - with a certainty - alcohol was going to ruin my life. I was an alcoholic.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
I knew that I was one long before I acknowledged it. To acknowledge it meant that I had to do something about it.
I acknowledged it a long time ago but hid behind the "functional alcoholic" curtain. Since I was functional, I didn't really have to do anything about it.

Then came the time I was not so functional. It was my bottom and every one has a different one. That is when I finally realized I had to do something. That was my moment of clarity. On the edge of not functioning is when the curtain fell.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

When I realized I didn't get sick when I drank, but when I didn't. Getting fired for drinking at work. Getting a DUI. Waking up and realizing that I had gone to the store while blacked out to get more beer. Choosing to be drunk alone rather than out with a friend sober.

Mind you these are not revelations that happened recently. This is over years. I knew I had a problem, but in a certain way I didn't care.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Recovered

The first time I drank. I knew it the next morning. I was 15.

I got sober at 38.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

I thought it was my destiny. Killed my Grandparents, my sibling, two of my best friends, a few of my heroes.
I always thought it was cool.
It ain't cool anymore.
I want to try the other alternative.
Took a long, long time to seriously consider it, even after all the misery I have seen come from it.
Amazing how powerful it is.
I've come to respect it like I respect getting an electric shock.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:00 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Kingtarquin

I am coming to terms with the thought of admittance of being a true alcoholic. 30 days again sober. Back questioning why am I sober. I've realized why it's tough for me! I have not made a point to change my life except for abstaining from the hooch. That's why I am not happy is because my life is just the same just no booze. When I mean just the same, that means I am still not happy.the only energy I generate during most days is when I know I have to go to work. I work a 10 hour day come home watch TV go to bed and wake up and do it again. I have no energy or wanting to get up early and do something else productive. For some reason I just don't care to do anything but lay in bed until I literally need to do something. For eg: Go to work. Get something to eat. Or an errand I must run just to keep my life rolling. I tell myself dude you gotta get out and do something but then a voice will come and tell me about the anxieties in public settings. I get nervous and just want to stay at home in bed. It's a pathetic existence but I can't find the inner trigger to change it. Even after writing this post I know my mind knows what I need to try to do. However when the time comes to get motivated for a change in life habits I don't change. What's wrong with me? Do I have a social disorder or a fear of public situations excluding work? I don't know! That's why once again I am reaching out for some sort of tutorial or voice of enlightenment. Where do I find desire and passion for something's again. Or did I ever have passion for anything. I can't remember. Now I'm just rambling! Aloha

KT
Old 02-11-2015, 03:23 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kingtarquin View Post
I am coming to terms with the thought of admittance of being a true alcoholic. 30 days again sober. Back questioning why am I sober. I've realized why it's tough for me! I have not made a point to change my life except for abstaining from the hooch. That's why I am not happy is because my life is just the same just no booze. When I mean just the same, that means I am still not happy.the only energy I generate during most days is when I know I have to go to work. I work a 10 hour day come home watch TV go to bed and wake up and do it again. I have no energy or wanting to get up early and do something else productive. For some reason I just don't care to do anything but lay in bed until I literally need to do something. For eg: Go to work. Get something to eat. Or an errand I must run just to keep my life rolling. I tell myself dude you gotta get out and do something but then a voice will come and tell me about the anxieties in public settings. I get nervous and just want to stay at home in bed. It's a pathetic existence but I can't find the inner trigger to change it. Even after writing this post I know my mind knows what I need to try to do. However when the time comes to get motivated for a change in life habits I don't change. What's wrong with me? Do I have a social disorder or a fear of public situations excluding work? I don't know! That's why once again I am reaching out for some sort of tutorial or voice of enlightenment. Where do I find desire and passion for something's again. Or did I ever have passion for anything. I can't remember. Now I'm just rambling! Aloha

KT
Have you tried looking at rational recovery? google it.

We have all been there...stay sober at all costs! It's so worth it. There is a book I love geared for guys, "Living sober sucks, living drunk sucks more". Try different things till you find something you vibe with. Don't become a mental loafer and stagnant. Keep your mind occupied even from bed. READ As much as you can on life after being a drunk. There are more than one way to skin a cat so be open minded to all types of inspiration and help. You can do it!

Last edited by Dee74; 02-11-2015 at 03:28 AM. Reason: no commercial links please
Old 02-11-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kingtarquin View Post

KT
Your post reminds me of me. I was the exact same way. You pretty much described my life before I stopped drinking.

My anxiety was very high. I didn't want people to see me and I didn't want to see them. I wanted to live in a cave and I did. If I was not at work I was home in isolation with the curtains drawn. The thought of interacting with people made my heart race. Even going to work was difficult. I was scared to death to drive to and from work. I would cry and grip the steering wheel all the way there and back and if it was raining or snowing I would call off. I was scared to death. I didn't want to die but I didn't know how to live the way I was anymore.

I decided to quit and I called AA. I was anxious. They sent a woman to my home and she took me to a meeting. I have been sober and attending meetings every since.

The anxiety is gone, I am sober, I am happy and my curtains are open.

If you have not tried AA I would give it some thought. It does not happen overnight and that work on yourself you spoke of has to be done but it was worth it.

I drank for 25 years and I am sober almost two. These last two have been that best years of my life.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:26 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I realized in a few ways:

I didn't just enjoy drinking in the evening. I craved it.
I drank to get buzzed. Seriously buzzed. My tolerance kept going up so my intake kept going up.
I continued drinking despite feeling worse and worse every morning.
I didn't think anything, including a work night at home (alone), was complete without drinking.
I continued to drink despite weight gain.
I continued to drink despite a red, flushed complexion.
I continued to drink despite daily severe headaches.
One drink caused me to crave more and more.
I had no off switch. I didn't want an off switch.
I continued drinking after scary and abhorrent blackout episodes.
Three beers in the fridge caused panic rather than relief. 12 in the fridge was a relief.

These are the big ones:

I would wake up (every day) and say "never again" and drink again that night.
I continued to drink in spite of a medical diagnosis caused by drinking.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I knew for years but I still enjoyed it and didn't want to quit. I mean I tried to control it and the better part of me, my higher self wanted to stop but I wasn't ready or just hadn't suffered enough. It was this October that I said out loud to my bf that I was sick and needed to stop because it was starting to actually kill me. I was starting to physically fall apart and the hangovers were getting worse and worse. I'd also started drinking in the mornings which was a new and troubling behaviour. I had a false start, went back to it after a few weeks and really tried to moderate. But I think that once it reaches a certain level there is no going back. Maybe years ago I could of but not anymore.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Melinda you took the words out of my mouth. I can relate to all of what you said.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
jlf

when I said drink socially only and on special occasions but every once on a while had black ups and realized that didn't always control the amount of my drinking