Notices

I drink too much.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I drink too much.

I would like to quit my 35 t0 50 beer a week habit. I look foward to those evening beers so much, but I know what it is doing to me. I have tried one time and made it a week. Im a wimp I know.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Maynard

I don;t think you're a wimp at all - it's hard to quit, especially on your own and without support.

You'll find a lot of support and encouragement here, and ideas on how to get more support too, if you feel you need it

D
Old 12-17-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh I need it for sure. thank you.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep going man. We are all gunning for you and know you can do it.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm new to this too. I'm trying to kick a 48 beers a week habit. Longest I've ever gone since turning 21 is three weeks. It helps reading the posts on here. Welcome!
Old 12-17-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to a great place maynard! Don't call yourself a wimp - be proud for stepping up and admitting what's going on. Some never see what drinking is doing to their lives.

I was drinking every day when I came to SR. It had once been fun and relaxing - but that was many years ago. I didn't realize how much I counted on it for entertainment and to get me through hard times. It never really helped me though - just kept me numb and foggy - no way to live. It feels great to be free. You can do it maynard.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Maynard - Welcome! Not a wimp at all...as others have said this is hard. Admitting you have a problem is one of the hardest things I've ever done. You have to fight with yourself and we all know how that AV explains away that you don't have a problem at all, Look how you can go without a drink, 'real' alcoholics cant do that! well... you've made a BIG step...I'm with you... new to this struggle myself... tomorrow is 3 weeks for me. You and do it. I now look forward to getting on my computer and reading and posting in SR...much better and MORE FUN than drinking.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

A wimp would not have the courage to post a thread like you did and make the steps to achieve sobriety. Opposite, your a brave person.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Maynard!!!

Lots of great support here!!! Keep coming around, ok?
Old 12-17-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Hi may
The fact that you signed up here & share whats going on doesnt sound like wimp to me! I'd add that you join an aa group, get a sponsor & work the steps. The obsession will disappear w/ time. We are rooting for you!! One day @ a time buddy
Old 12-17-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
p***enger

Maynard, I don't think you're a wimp -- problems with drinking are hard to overcome! But you can quit drinking, if you really want to. It helps a lot if you get support. SR is a great place to start to find support and information. Welcome!
Old 12-18-2013, 02:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your not a wimp. Day 7 is tough because the hangover is finished and the memory of being horribly drunk has faded. Try doing anything else but drinking. I wish I had the magic answer but the truth is that early sobriety is a boring slog. It does get easier.hang in there.xxx.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Welcome to SR! I drank about 2 1/2 times that much beer every week for 10 years straight, so I know how hard it is to give it up. But the good news is it can be done. If you want it bad enough, the sober life is out there waiting and it's actually better than you can even imagine. Stick around, you'll find lots of support around here.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was right there with you; started out 20-30 beers/week for 3 years then went to 40-50/week the next 3 years. I broke that cycle and it feels great. Stay strong.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Maynard!
I used to love beer! That was my first love. I would drink anywhere from 50-60 beers a week! That was A LOT of money that I was wasting. I came here in 2010 and just read and identified with posts. I quit for 3 months after getting enough courage to stop. Then I went back to drinking. The following year, I stopped drinking and smoking cigarettes. Keep praying, posting and reading; it will click.