Notices

Hair of the DOG ?

Old 12-17-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hair of the DOG ?

Did anyone else practice this daily ?, for the hangovers .

For me that was the beginning of the END , bad times then .
Old 12-17-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

On weekends most definitely!! 6:00 am, wake up open a can of Bud.

Had around 18 during the day, a bottle of wine with dinner, another fees beers before bed, sunday start slowing down for monday work
Old 12-17-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nope. The last thing I wanted on hangover day was alcohol.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yup
It started with waking up and having a can or a quick double just to take the edge off and then nothing til late afternoon/early evening... but then it progressed...

I'd be awake all night waiting for the shop to open at 8am, get another bottle of vodka, drink about half, feel a bit better, pass out for a couple of hrs... wake up, drink the rest... panic again overnight, daren't sleep... repeat.

Once I was withdrawing so bad overnight I starting drinking the hand sanitiser in the bathroom (there was no mouthwash otherwise that would of gone down) Then I panicked that was gonna poison me.
Bad bad times.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hadn't thought about that for a while.

Expensive Bloody Marys getting the hard liquor buzz going early on were for special occasions. Heavy beers "there's a pork chop in every bottle!" were my all the time beverage but those first few, the hairy dogs converting the hang over into a buzz were a gnarly pack. I did it every day for years.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Had to. Stopped the shakes and the withdrawl.

That was very close to the end. Next step was hospitalization because of acute withdrawl. Did not drink enough by accident and almost died
Old 12-17-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I suffered with such terrible hangovers that hairs of the dog were the beginning of my hardcore drinking. It would turn into another all day bender which could often, in turn, be the start of an all week bender.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Yes. This is one of the thing which got me back in recovery, I started doing that and basically went on a three week binge where I was drinking unless I had to work, then I would have to show up sober of course but I d be obsessing about the next drink.
My first time in recovery, I was drinking 24/7 and it had started with "hair of the dog" so this time when I started doing that I knew I was in serious trouble and that's when I called it quit.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Twinings,you just reminded me of the time I drank aftershave,didnt work though. I was going through withdrawl at home and had to have something. My husband had taken every bit of alcohol he could find and tipped it away ,taken my credit cards,money, the lot. I dont blame him. He was doing what he thought best..god they were horrific days ..x
Old 12-17-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It was the beginning of the end for me, too. I had such horrible anxiety and shakes that I felt I didn't have any other choice, and I probably didn't while I continued to drink. This pretty much turned into making up all kinds of lies so I could work from home and continue my drinking. I ended up in the ER for withdrawals and then off to rehab. Those were such horrible times. Remembering how I felt on those mornings helps keep me sober now.

All the best,

Methodman
Old 12-17-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hair of the dog didn't really work for me unless I got properly drunk again..and hopefully didn't puke
Old 12-17-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I started but luckily did not get that far with this. I have no doubt if I go back it would be 24/7 between passouts
Old 12-17-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Never actually, not once.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Have done it yes. Not regularly because mornings were sometimes iffy at best and working at being 'functional' always had to get up, put myself together, and work.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The thought of drinking first thing in the morning hungover disturbed me. I was offered by other alcoholic friends on many occasions but always shuddered at the thought. For years I had a common rule for myself that I would not drink again until at least the afternoon and many times that had me waiting until early evening. When I progressed to thinking it was ok to "cheat" on the rule and start at 11am I knew I had a serious problem.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Thank goodness my hangovers were so godawful I couldn't bear the smell. The taste. I am eternally grateful now for my uber sensitive constitution...
Old 12-17-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

No. When i was hungover i couldnt think of drinking anything. I thank everyone for sharing their stories. I have not experienced detox or major withdrawals, but have no doubt i would be there someday if i continued to drink. That is such a scary thought and something that keeps me from taking that first drink. I greatly appreciate everyone's honesty. Never underestimate how much our struggles with alcohol can be a help to others.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hardly ever had alcohol for any reason early in the day. 1-2 drinks have always left me feeling sleepy and then a horrible headache. 3-4 drinks the fun kicked in but I never stopped there. A train wreck of a night or passed out was the usual ending. Ugh, good riddance.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

All the time on non work days.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It was the beginning of the end for me too karate. I'd drink getting ready for work to stop the shaking & nausea. I can't believe I justified doing that.