Notices

Merry Christmas SR and Thank You!!!

Old 12-17-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas SR and Thank You!!!

I turn 40 years old next week and coincidentally (or perhaps it is not a coincidence) I will also mark my 4 months of sobriety on the same day. 6 months ago I had planned this major celebration; even have some of the contracts from the band, security people, laser systems and DJ gear people, body paint guy to paint the strippers/servers. This was to show everyone how important I am and how far I have come. In my mind I wanted to be the Pheonix rising from a humble beginning with all my wealth to show everyone how I have "arrived." This stems from the deep seeded insecurity that has fueled an insatiable ambition but also what almost killed me too. Instead of the fanfare, I will spend my birthday like Christmas with family - no DJs, no booze, high on the pure joy my children will experience.

Like a kid getting a new present, I feel my family and life are my new presents. I am the proverbial blind man that has had his vision returned. Clarity never enjoyed before in my life. I realize how misguided I was and how truly grateful I am to have what means the most to me back. All my money that I have accumulated and all the things I would buy houses, sports cars, exotic trips, all to feed my inner ghosts were never able to give me the peace I feel now. I am truly content and if God takes my life today, I would be blessed for this moment that I share with you. Perhaps this is my miracle?

I want to thank several people here for your help. Your sharing of experiences has truly helped and inspired me.

ImperfectlyMe, Joe Nerv, Robby Robot, Freshstart, AlphaOmega, Dee, Jaynie, Elesware, Kadidee, Sheknits, Foolsgold, Advbike, Raider and countless others – I feel like you are all in my home group, yet I would probably not recognize most of you if we met on the street. It’s the value of SR – a place to share and be totally honest without concerns of being outed. To those that have disagreed and had some contentious debates, I also thank you for helping me think about things differently. A wise friend of mine told me at the start of this journey that the best meetings are the ones you love and the ones you hate. I find when something pisses me off there is usually an element of truth that I don’t want to acknowledge when I look in the mirror. This honesty has saved my ass more than a few times too.

I am not going anywhere but prob will try to reduce the amount of time I surf SR (Safari automaticly goes to this website on my computers and tablet ugh), instead I wanted to pay homage to all of you that have helped lift me up and get me to the place I enjoy at this moment. They say it takes a village and for the hopeless alcoholic/addict like myself it took the SR village and AA to help save my life – thank you.

JPD
Old 12-17-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Beautiful post!! You've helped me equally if not more Merry Christmas, happy birthday friend and congrats on all you've achieved these last four months. Better then any amount of money! Been my honor to share this experience with you and all the SR soldiers!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Realising my life

It's been a privilege to read about and share your journey, jdooner I'm sure Christmas and your 40th birthday will be amazing.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a fabulous post! Congratulations, JDooner!! And, Happy Birthday To You!!!
Old 12-17-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Awesome!

And my thanks to you JPD, for being a fully helpful and enthusiastic contributor to the SR collective wealth of experience!! Well done on your 4 month birthday being marked and celebrated next week! Stay with it!! Happy 40 too!

Merry Christmas!!

Old 12-17-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

4 months is a great gift to give to yourself, congrats, enjoy it to the fullest and best wishes for a joy filled holiday with your family!
Old 12-17-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

And.......

You just made me cry again.

Damn it, JD.

Much love to you friend. SO very much love and peace to you.

The happiest of birthday wishes to you.

All of them...

XO AO
Old 12-17-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you very much.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Merry Christmas to you and yours JD - & may 2014 be an even better year for us all

D
Old 12-17-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday and Happy Christmas to you and your loved ones!
Old 12-17-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Happy Christmas and Happy Sobriety also!
Old 12-17-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday JD! My daughter is this week and my best friend since first grade is Christmas Day, a lot of good karma in this month.

Thank you so much for that post. It has been incredible to see how far we have all come in such a short period of time. I feel like we have all learned a lot, ups and downs, clarity and confusion. To be among friends who are supportive, understanding and honest….it would be hard to explain to anyone who wasn't here. JD you have always been so open and honest and willing to share your experience. I really can feel that we are all pulling for each other…congratulations on 4 months, it is an amazing feat!
Old 12-18-2013, 12:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That is awesome. Congrats on 4 months! I had my 8th month on my birthday and I, like you, think it was no accident or coincidence.

Keep on, keeping on, One day at a time