Notices

it's getting more difficult

Old 12-16-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

it's getting more difficult

almost a 6 months and this is getting to be very hard. In AA - Working with sponsor, on step four, chair a meeting. emotions all over, the aloneness, no release.. etc. I have a job still, make decent money. Just found out, The ex might be either trying for more child support or trying to stop my visitation with my daughter. Not sure yet. so, that has made me freak emotionally.. on top of all the other feelings. Thought about drinking a few times today, but play the tape in my head and cannot go through that crap again. work is so much stress, deadlines, no praise, jerks there. I am ranting yet again.. sorry
Old 12-16-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fears a powerful emotion but I hope your fears prove groundless Pete.

Congrats on your 6 months - keep on doing the right thing

D
Old 12-16-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

If you wanna rant, do it. It does help, I find, or to write things down. Stay strong. One days the kids grow up and you will have your time with your daughter without the stress of a broken relationship.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time, Petewill.

I think I read this on SR a while back: there is literally no bad situation that a drink will not make significantly worse.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks for the support.... ughh. reading my old posts.. pathetic.. lol
Old 12-17-2013, 02:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

finish step 4 and get through to 7
Old 12-17-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Stay strong. If you start drinking again the ex will be much more likely to try and succeed in stopping visitations.

If you want to be the best parent you can be, sober is a great place to start.

Supporting your child, in all areas is the best investment you will ever make.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 months sober... hopefully this will pass and you'll continue on your successful path.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Went through a divorce in my first year of sobriety as well. Reading my old posts makes me say "ugh" as well.... Anyways... there's nothing so bad that drinking won't make it worse. I found that my sobriety drove my ex and her lawyer crazy. What I can tell you without a doubt is that this too shall pass. Keep living right and things WILL get better.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Petewill View Post
almost a 6 months and this is getting to be very hard. In AA - Working with sponsor, on step four, chair a meeting. emotions all over, the aloneness, no release.. etc. I have a job still, make decent money. Just found out xxxxxxxxxx that has made me freak emotionally.. on top of all the other feelings.

Thought about drinking a few times today, but play the tape in my head and cannot go through that crap again.

Work is so much stress, deadlines, no praise, jerks there.
Pretty similar experience for me. I felt worse at 6-8 months of "not drinking and going to meetings" than I did when I was drinking (other than when I was drinking and getting arrested...that was pretty bad).

In recovery I was told and eventually came to see/accept that, as a real alcoholic, my problem was not the drinking. Booze wasn't the problem. It was A problem...but it wasn't the source....the well. The problem was my alcoholism and alcoholism affects you whether you're drinking or not. As an example, it's like an internal disease that's messing you me whether you see any boils, sores or anything else on my skin. ...wow, a "real alkie" and a "disease" reference in the same paragraph...that should bring in some clowns.

Anyway, it became apparent that meetings and not drinking weren't enough of a solution for ME. It started to make sense that I may need this "complete psychic change" that I'd heard about....where one has a completely new way to look at ppl, at life and one's self.

I can't say but it sure sounds like you're in the same boat I was/am in. Keep digging. There IS a solution.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Let me chime in as someone who went through the same thing - congrats on the six months! For all the stressors try and divide them into things you can control and things you can't. If you're not going to court today, don't entertain the scary thoughts, because it may not come to pass. Ask for help accepting the current terms with your ex and daughter. I know how scary it is but remember that the number one thing you can do for your daughter is to be sober! My sponsor reminded me that our job as dads is to be there when needed - for love, support, protection - everything else is just parenting debate to which there is no end! Love your daughter and keep doing what your doing. We always want the hard times to be over quickly cause that's the way it works on TV - One day you'll meet a fella struggling with his divorce in sobriety and you'll be able to help him because you will have been there - that's the way this works - you're doing great, believe it or not.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Whatever the task ,or situation . It will be worse to deal with drunk or hungover .
Old 12-17-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Six months is something to be proud of. Remember--it may never get easy to not pick up. I have relapsed quite a few times over the past 10 years. It never feels good to pick up again. You'll never be able to control it, and it doesn't make the stress or problems disappear. I relapsed because I never learned how to deal with the stresses of life. But I recently read something in a Wayne Dyer book that's really simple, but also really profound. He said life isn't supposed to be joyful all the time. There will be a lot of woeful times, and you know what? That's okay.

Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Through the world we safely go.

Joy and woe are woven fine,
A clothing for the soul divine.
Under every grief and pine
Runs a joy with silken twine.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thanks again guys.. today was actually worse at work... ughh. but I made it though..