Notices

DUI duties have begun

Old 12-16-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DUI duties have begun

I know every state is different for DUI charges. I am in Nevada. My first DUI was received Friday early morning. I had to appear this morning for my 'pre-trial' and learned all the information that overwhelmed the heck out of me.

I have to breath test four times a week and attend two meetings a week, any substance abuse centered program. I know my offense was serious, my BAC was .21. I do have to say, testing four times is a relief, it will keep me from drinking! A drink...which is something I haven't had since Thursday night, and am not craving.

Need to test for at least a month. I am looking forward to learning from my mistake. No driving, no drinking, and a whole lot of appointments not to miss. I hope to find happiness hiding somewhere in sobriety.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

funny..I thought dui was for drinking and driving..not alcoholism
Old 12-16-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to a part of life that can be beyond your dreams. All we need to do is NOT drink and work on the reasons we did drink for our lasting recovery.

BE WELL
Old 12-16-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sarcasm?

I am an alcoholic. Obviously. Funny? No.
Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
funny..I thought dui was for drinking and driving..not alcoholism
Old 12-16-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EliSnow View Post
I am an alcoholic. Obviously. Funny? No.
I'm not poking fun at you. Those are your requirements for a dui..i gather...that does mean the state assumes anyone who gets 1 dui is an alcoholic?... obviously you are one if you came here. There was no sarcasm or nastiness in anything I wrote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am amazed I never got a DUI - Not like I NEVER drove loaded...Just lucky. My Cousin got 5, so far...

Wow, a breathalyzer - It would be nice if I had one imposed on Me I think
Old 12-16-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Best of Luck EliSnow !!!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think it is great that you have a positive attitude about his whole experience. Although you are being mandated to participate in treatment activities, it may be the push that you need. I know that many people in recovery came in via the legal system. I came in via the medical system (so-to-speak). In the big picture, all that matters I guess is that we know that our drinking is a problem!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If it helps set you on the right path that is great news! It could be the catalyst that helps you stay sober.

For me though, no amount of DUIs would have been enough for me when I still didn't care about myself. I had to want sobriety for me before it was ever going to matter. 2 DUIs in and got off lucky to not get a third and I still drank as much as I wanted.

I hope it helps you find the sobriety you seek.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Eli
looks liek you have a good outlook on things, but how are you doing overall?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

congratulations on finding SR Eli.

i guess you're relieved you don't have to put all those innocent lives at risk of being mowed down by DUI any more!

However, if you're an alcoholic of my type, this won't be enough to save you.

I contributed to the misery and deaths of others when i drank. I also put myself in dangerous situations, finding myself dying in a hospital bed. None of this was enough to give me the will power to control or even stop my drinking.

time and again i said i was through with booze - and i'd have passed a lie detector test too!

nope. i had to throw the towel in coz doing it my way just never did cut the mustard.

i had to throw away my prejudices and preconceived ideas and embrace the simple, life-giving program of recovery that is AA. i stopped listening to my thinking and started listening to people who had found this new way to live. it was the most difficult, most beautiful thing i could never have even dreamed up.

i hope you find your way, Eli. Much Love.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks

Originally Posted by robgt350 View Post
Eli
looks liek you have a good outlook on things, but how are you doing overall?
Thank you all for the support. Rob, I am scared and overwhelmed by my lawyer telling me this good go on for up to a year. He told me it is a long, long process, so I must keep busy or I will spend all my time worrying! I do have an excited feeling to start recovery...I have tried many times in the last year and I think a month was longest I lasted. I can also be mandated to breath test up to two years from now - I fail and it is 30 days in jail! That is quite the motivation to stay sober.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I cannot imagine all these law duties you have to go through for your first dwi. I was driving home last week from a bar and slipped on ice and ended up on the sidewalk of the local village hall/police station. I slithered away like a snake. A police Sgt. called me the next morning telling me it would be towed unless I picked it up ASAP. I told them to tow it as I had a bit of the flu. The most important thing is I did not get a dwi. I think with all the legal hoops would cause me to drink more.