Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

hideous Four Horsemen - "Terror, Bewilderment, Frustration and Despair."

Notices

hideous Four Horsemen - "Terror, Bewilderment, Frustration and Despair."

Old 05-20-2016, 12:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

"Terror, Bewilderment, Frustration and Despair."

When my EGO rears it's ugly head in sobriety
life usually ends up with a slight taste of the above.
Not like the drinking days but -- the EGO seems to be a slow killer.

Once more -- the smashing of the EGO

Ease
God
Out

MB
Old 05-20-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
"Now and then a serious drinker, being dry at the moment says, "I don't miss it at all. Feel better. Work better. Having a better time." As ex-problem drinkers, we smile at such a sally. We know our friend is like a boy whistling in the dark to keep up his spirits. He fools himself. Inwardly he would give anything to take half a dozen drinks and get away with them. He will presently try the old game again, for he isn't happy about his sobriety. He cannot picture life without alcohol. Some day he will be unable to imagine life either with alcohol or without it. Then he will know loneliness such as few do. He will be at the jumping-off place. He will wish for the end."

Alcoholics Anonymous pp 151-152

MMB,

The paragraph you quoted and the paragraph I quoted (which follows your paragraph in the book) had the most profound impact on me when coming to terms with my alcoholism. It described my state of mind at the end of my drinking perfectly. When I reached the point where I couldn't imagine life either with or without alcohol I was in a special spot in hell that is hard to describe to anyone who hasn't been there.
For sure!! I was there as well. This spot rang true to me as well early on and still to this day. Along with the docs opinion. Its amazing how far we can go down.. and some go all the way to death. Cunning baffling powerful, well put
Old 08-28-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gonzo51511 View Post

Cunning baffling powerful, well put
Yes, each and every time in which I returned to the drink after some time of being sober, it wasn't long before I was suffering once again from the above.

Often with the thoughts of, what went wrong, I thought that this time I had my drinking under control?

Once again -- baffled.

M-Bob