Notices

Here I am

Old 12-12-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here I am

After snooping around this message board for months I have finally decided to join and begin my recovery journey with you all. I have been battling alcoholism for the past 6 years. I have had my ups and downs, never going more than a few weeks without a beer and as a rule having 6+ beers a day. Somehow I have not gotten in trouble with the law nor hurt myself or someone else.

Here I am. Ready, able and willing to change my life. I am a few months away from turning 30 and I refuse to not live another day. I hope all of you realize how powerful your stories and words of encouragement are. I look forward to what lies ahead, not looking back, not feeling sorry for myself; rather flourishing in what awaits me.

-MG
Old 12-12-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey marvin! Welcome . . .you have come to the right place for support. Wish you well in your recovery process. I am pretty new to this also. Today is day 20 for me and i am feeling pretty good.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One of my favorite Monopoly properties. Welcome!

Old 12-12-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello, and Welcome! I am in my second month of sobriety, hang in there. It is going to be rough at first, but it will pass in time. There are some great resources here, and in the fellowship of AA if you choose. I am on the boards, going to meetings and seeing a therapist. Take the suggestions you think will work for you. Enjoy the road!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

The word "battling" jumped out at me in the opening post.

For me, laying down the fight (which kept me actively engaged in drinking/drugging) and surrendering was a key. Like, hey, I'm not going to win. I'm not going to tame this, manage it, etc...I'm going to walk away and put my life and energy into something else.

Walking away from a fight IS a way of ending it. I let booze and drugs go their way, and I went mine. The work was then in building my life, rather than continuing to engage with booze, drugs, or even a fight against cravings.

No contact.

It really was a mental shift issue for me. My issues were really with myself and life. I had been shadow boxing...using booze and drugs as a distraction and THAT became my fight...kept me from having to engage in life.

When I walked away from that fight, and told myself I really wasn't jumping back into that ring, and then put my time and brain focus onto living rather than fighting, I made progress in recovery.

In the beginning, I was all caught up in the drama of how hard it was, and how booze and drugs had a hold on me, etc...and that wasn't getting me anywhere, because they were still the focus of my life, I had just changed up the game a little.

Glad you joined and posted. Look forward to sharing more recovery with you.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me, laying down the fight (which kept me actively engaged in drinking/drugging) and surrendering was a key. Like, hey, I'm not going to win. I'm not going to tame this, manage it, etc...I'm going to walk away and put my life and energy into something else.

Awesome post Threshold. I never thought of it that way. Walking away from the fight is a great frame of mind to put yourself in. You are right, I can't win and in all honesty I don't want to. I walked away today and I will continue to do so. Great post.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR MarvinGardens

D
Old 12-12-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome on board!!
Old 12-12-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Hello. So glad you have joined
Old 12-12-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Happy to see another join us into a sober life. Welcome Marvin
Old 12-12-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to meet you MG! I love your positive attitude. You're going to love your new life.