Me: I used to drink, now I don't.

Other person: "Why did you stop?"

Me: Because I wanted to.

Other person: "Come on, have just one drink with me."

Me: No thank you.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TrixMixer View Post
Does anyone just say "Iam a drunk and in recovery"? Why all the excuses? I cannot tell you how many people have opened up to me about their concern about their own drinking--all because I just tell it like it is. I think it actually can help others on the fence of sobriety.

But----------------that is just me--"Bull in a china Shop"

TrixMixer
You know this might be a good idea, because the people who seem to question it often seem to be heavy drinkers themselves. I'm just not there yet because people often don't understand the nature of addiction.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

At first I stressed when asked, now I tell them I had to give up for health reasons. The health reasons are correct, I am a drunk and if I had of kept on drinking I was going to die.

They all just shut up, problem solved.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm a bit like a bull in a china shop at times, but I'm not sure flying that flag would always work out the best for everyone.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have truly come to respect teh Irish, they are something special.

This is through my walk in life, and I mean it to the absolute core of my being. They are good people.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
I'm a bit like a bull in a china shop at times, but I'm not sure flying that flag would always work out the best for everyone.
Yep!" that's why it's just me" ...and I have had a lot of years of that question being asked. This usually shuts them right up!

....but I seriously wonder why someone would even delve into that question in a social setting. I mean what's it to them, ya know!!!
Old 12-13-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Does anyone just say "Iam a drunk and in recovery"? Why all the excuses? I cannot tell you how many people have opened up to me about their concern about their own drinking--all because I just tell it like it is. I think it actually can help others on the fence of sobriety.

TrixMixer
I think one has to think of the context - if I'm out with my wife and it's her friends or a corporate function, or a church meeting or whatever - it's not about me...ya know?.

I've only had one occasion where I resorted to the plain unvarnished truth and that was a drinking acquaintance who would not let it go.

99.99% of the time 'no thanks' has worked for me. Why complicate it or make myself the drama of the hour?

D
Old 12-13-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Johnston View Post
I say I have colitis and an ulcerated stomach lining. They back right down.
That'll shut em right down!! I dont know why, but this one tickled my funny bone tonight!! I'm sorry if its true though . . .
Old 12-14-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think one has to think of the context - if I'm out with my wife and it's her friends or a corporate function, or a church meeting or whatever - it's not about me...ya know?.

I've only had one occasion where I resorted to the plain unvarnished truth and that was a drinking acquaintance who would not let it go.

99.99% of the time 'no thanks' has worked for me. Why complicate it or make myself the drama of the hour?

D
Hi Dee,
I certainly agree with you as far as context.........but I must disagree that that answer becomes about me for an hour. I have NEVER had one person pursue that answer any further. People generally don't want to know about your problems, they are too busy talking about themselves 99.99% of the time.

For me it has always been" rudeness begets rudeness".........but again dear sir
you are talking about me--that thorn in your side, LOL!
Old 12-14-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

TrixMixer
TrixMixer - I have - except I phrase it as "can't touch it, once I start I don't stop and don't want to go through stopping again."

I know everyone's viewpoint is different, but I don't want to attribute any shame to my situation. (And I am not saying this to mean that people who don't want people to know they quit drinking are harboring shame or anything.) It is hard enough to stop drinking without having to hide it from people. Millions of people in the world have this problem, they can't drink like normal people. I am one of them.

To me - I just feel like it is who I am, and if it comes up, I am going to be me about it.