Notices

Is this a slip?

Old 12-11-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I feel bad for that individual who just wanted to enjoy an effing vanilla coke
Old 12-11-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

I can sort of speak to this a little but only a little as I am from the "other side," of the wall -- Alanon.

About 7 years ago, Mrs. Hammer -- wandering off the safety of the AA reservation -- downed a bottle of Vanilla. 33% Alcohol or what would be called 66 proof. At that point she had about 8 years in AA. She threw it up, told me about it, said she told her local AA group, who she told me called it "just a cooking mishap," or some such. She said her sponsor said it was okay. All that seemed strange to me.

At the time I asked if she would have to start over on her Chip Date, and I was prepared to hug, cry with her, and anything else to let her know she was loved and that it would be okay. Just like when other friends have relapsed in the past.

Instead she turned and glared and said -- "Are you questioning my sobriety?" That was so weird I did not know what to make of it at the time. Looking back I would have said -- Oh Hell, Yes!

She went on and on vomiting. And then to Anorexia. And Exercise Bulimia.

Talking with her Sponsor when Mrs. Hammer was heading to Eating Disorder Rehab last year, I figured out the whole time Mrs. Hammer has been lying -- and still is. The sponsor told her to start over (start counting days is the term) on the Chip Date.

So now she is back from Eating Disorder Rehab, but still all this time still lying about her Sobriety Date. It is a case of Killer Pride. Now has her caught in a new Lying Addiction about most everything else.

Here is what I have figured out about Recovery. It is an Honesty Thing. The whole basis of the How It Works portion of AA.

Take a look at the Intro to Chapter 5, How it Works, below.

Here is what I have learned from all this -- In recovery -- Never, never, never lie. And if you do, acknowledge it, repent and get back on course.

So if someone was drinking Vanilla (or whatever) WITH THE INTENT of drinking alcohol -- go be honest -- get your 23 hour chip -- no one will hate you -- they will applaud and hug you for being honest, and you can continue to trudge the happy journey.

Instead of the lies and misery our family has been through for the last 7 years.

==============

How it works

RARELY HAVE we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves. There are such unfortunates. They are not at fault; they seem to have been born that way. They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty. Their chances are less than average. There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

AA Chapter 5 How it works | AA | How it works|
Old 12-11-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Since I go between both sides of the streets (shoot, does it mean I play in traffic?) here is my take on this
She threw it up, told me about it, said she told her local AA group, who she told me called it "just a cooking mishap," or some such. She said her sponsor said it was okay. All that seemed strange to me.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I do think it is important that we understand the wishes of people to keep their bodies clear of alcohol to extremes, there isn't anything wrong with that.

BTW - Don't think the OP mentioned AA.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Of course since I see what that has done to our family, I call it much harder than a Quack Attack.

It is a Rancid Lie Bullsh1t.

But it is all Mrs. Hammer's. Not mine.

All between her and God.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post

BTW - Don't think the OP mentioned AA.
sponsor, step 1, go back, home group, newcomer . . . .

pretty obvious, no?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
sponsor, step 1, go back, home group, newcomer . . . .

pretty obvious, no?
I dunno, can't find 'sobriety date' anywhere in the big book. It was a bit of a joke.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
I dunno, can't find 'sobriety date' anywhere in the big book. It was a bit of a joke.
Thanks for the clue. You know how dense we can be on the other side. Really.

Good point on the date stuff (and chips) not being in the Big Book. Yunno if it were not for that damn nonsense, we would not be stuck in the Land of Lies.

Well, guess I do not know if that were true. At least it would not be that lie that was the base one.

Thanks again.

Hey I am just going to wander back out of here, before I make a real ass of myself, and go back down to the Friends and Family section.

Nice visiting, though.

Like the way you all decorated the place. Holidays and all I guess. Okay. see you.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by chaili05 View Post
I feel bad for that individual who just wanted to enjoy an effing vanilla coke
Old 12-11-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
Was it even "real" vanilla? Most today are imitation extract. They have no alcohol in them in less you want to count "Ethyl Vanillin". Now "real" vanilla extract does but you would have to drink quite a bit to get any type of buzz and that stuff is expensive.

I think if you wanted to slip or relapse there is a much cheaper way to go about it.

If she was truly just trying the extract to see if it created a vanilla Coke taste then she did not slip or relapse, IMO. She just wanted a flavored Coke.
The FDA requires a minimum of 35% alcohol content when you label your product as "pure vanilla extract." In other words, 70 proof. Many manufacturers use more alcohol, and I can't recall why they do so. It's very easy to get drunk on vanilla extract, and kids have been doing so for decades.

Some supermarket chains in NY stock pure vanilla extract behind the customer service counter in order to prevent minors from purchasing it.

Vanilla flavoring that is not labeled as "pure vanilla extract" has roughly the same amount of alcohol that's in non-alcoholic beer, but most don't have any at all.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Trying to be a little rational here. Vanilla extract is usually 35% to 40% Alcohol by Volume.

Let's assume this person put a tablespoon of extract in the soda (and I suspect this person used less than a tablespoon). A tablespoon is 1/2 of an ounce. One hard liquor drink is 1.5 ounces of 40% ABV liquor. The amount of extract used was equivalent to 1/3 of what is considered one drink. Your friend than put that 1/3 of one drink into 12 ounces of Coke and then took a sip.

So the amount of actual alcohol that entered this person's system was minuscule. And certainly not enough for this person to become anything close to intoxicated.

I think the question here is intent. Did this person intend to use the vanilla extract as an alcoholic beverage? Did he/she intend to get a buzz?

Or did this person just want a taste of vanilla in the soda? If it's the latter, the person didn't slip, and IMO there is no need to set a new start date, and really nothing even to discuss. However, if it's the former, and the person was using the extract as an alcoholic beverage, there is a case to be made for a slip.

(BTW, I'm guessing that many, many long-time sober alcoholics have unknowingly ingested very small amounts of alcohol from consuming a type of food substance, a liquid or a medication. They just never realized they had done so).
Old 12-11-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KissMyTiara View Post
How ridiculous is this anyways. A drop of vanilla causes a whole AA group to get up in arms. And argue about it? That's why I stay away.
It is completely ridiculous IMO too, and I've never ever seen any such silliness in all my 29 years in AA. Sad that something like will be a reason to keep you away.

As for the OP, if it were me, a friend, or a sponsee of mine my answer would be no. It wouldn't even be a thought. There is no benefit in calling it a slip, and I see no reason to define it as one. I think most would agree.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leana View Post
have yet to find myself passed out with a measuring spoon and 2 oz bottle of vanilla laying beside me!
Thanks for the laugh. I needed that today! HAHAHA
Old 12-12-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Vanilla flavoring that is not labeled as "pure vanilla extract" has roughly the same amount of alcohol that's in non-alcoholic beer, but most don't have any at all.
I pulled my "imitation vanilla extract" off my shelf to look. No alcohol or precentage of alcohol or proof of alcohol was on the label.

The only thing it had in the ingredients that even made me blink was the Ethyl Vanillin.

Still, even if it was the real stuff, it would take a lot to get buzzed off that. I think the person may be older than a teenager so if they wanted to relapse they could have just bought booze.

I am not saying this person with the vanilla may not have had some type of ulterior motive in mind, but as we all agree, that is none of my business.

If I ever go back out it would be in a blaze of glory, not with a bottle of extract. Just saying...lol
Old 12-12-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
The FDA requires a minimum of 35% alcohol content when you label your product as "pure vanilla extract." In other words, 70 proof. Many manufacturers use more alcohol, and I can't recall why they do so. It's very easy to get drunk on vanilla extract, and kids have been doing so for decades.
Glad I didn't know about the alcohol content of vanilla extract in high school! I can hear my parents now: "NCG, you're baking cookies AGAIN?"
Old 12-12-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

We're all debating whether this is a slip, or if there's booze in it, or the merits of AA but we're missing the bigger, more troubling, picture... There are people in the world who LIKE vanilla coke
Old 12-12-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HJFgirl View Post

If someone with four years sobriety puts vanilla in a Coca-Cola because they want to drink a vanilla coke, is it considered a slip? me!)
99% of all in recovery would not call that a slip

unless

one poured two shot glasses of vanilla in

MB
Old 12-12-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Grateful

I just had to google using vanilla extract to make a vanilla Coke. The answer I got is that you would only use a couple of drops, so if she tasted it and it tasted like alcohol she either put too much in or forgot to stir it. It sounds purely like an accident, and if so should not be considered a slip or relapse.

I would like to offer an alternative suggestion. Add a scoop (or two) of your favorite vanilla ice cream in your Coke. It's delicious and I bet it tastes a lot more like a vanilla Coke than I can imagine vanilla extract in a Coke would taste. I've never tried vanilla extract in a Coke because vanilla ice cream works so well and there is almost always some on hand in this household.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

All I can say is...with this kind of riveting conversation it easy to understand why we all come back to SR every night!!

God, I am so boring...I actually found this topic interesting enough to take the time to post! - not once- but twice!
Old 12-12-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leana View Post
All I can say is...with this kind of riveting conversation it easy to understand why we all come back to SR every night!!

God, I am so boring...I actually found this topic interesting enough to take the time to post! - not once- but twice!

LOL!!!