Notices

Did your spouse drive you to drink?

Old 12-10-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

My two bouts with alcoholic drinking happened while I was single. I drove me to drinking lol. In my relationships, I ve always been the sober responsible one. I was also the eldest in an alcoholic home...very responsible. I guess being single and living alone gave me an opportunity to be "bad" since I did not have to worry about "fixing" someone else's mess lol
Old 12-10-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I maybe am coming at this thread from an odd (I prefer the term warped) perspective. I too used to blame my spouse for my drinking. But the fact is I was drunk when I met her drunk when I married her and now sober as we are seperated. She didn't make me drink but was a trigger.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
I don't think my being beaten to a pulp helped. But I should have gone rather than drink over it. It became a vicious circle where I thought I deserved it. Phew, glad that's all behind me
Oh my goodness, I relate. I was the same way- terrible relationship (not married) but felt so guilty the entire time like I deserved it so I stayed around and got drunk to cope. Dumb.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Somebody here said that it is a good idea to give sobriety at least a year before making any relationship moves. I did that, then I gave it another year. Now I'm on year number three.

I used alcohol as a crutch but it wasn't a very good one, of course. I thought it damaged me as a partner. I thought quitting drinking would make me more attractive but it didn't. It did exactly the opposite. I'm married to a drunk and my sobriety is threatening. I have accepted this but it is very frustrating.

I have two beautiful kids and a nice life otherwise, especially now that I've been sober for a while. I don't want to blow that up.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I told my wife I drink because of her many times. I am so ashamed of that now. I told her that to keep her at a distance just so I could drink and make her feel ashamed because thats the way i felt when she confronted me on my drinking. I was so dumb.